Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Painting flat black over new clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 12:09 PM
rickpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting flat black over new clearcoat

I ordered a replacement front bumper guard for a 2002 RX300 in the crystal white clearcoat from an ebay seller.

The bumper guard was sold unprimered with an additional painting service that would paint it any color so I asked and received verification that it would be the three step paint process for Toyota/Lexus color 062.

I received the bumper today and it looks good except the entire bumper is painted white including the area under the chin grill that should be flat black or unpainted as it appears to be on the original bumper guard.

I had sent a photo with explicit instructions to paint it in this fashion but evidently someone didn't read through the message.

Now I am considering either returning the bumper and asking for a properly painted replacement but before I do so, what does anyone think about masking the bumper and spray painting it flat black? Because it is the underside, it wouldn't have to be perfect.

I surmise the reason that area of the bumper is unpainted is because of the possibility of road debris chipping paint off that area . Also, the sides and rear bumper have the same black area on the underside which means the front is not visually integrated with the rest of the car.

Regarding painting the underside of the new bumper flat black, I have a couple of concerns:

1. If the reason for not painting it was to avoid evidence of road debris damage, painting it flat would simply set it up for the black to chip and reveal the white paint underneath.

2. I don't know if the black will adhere to the clearcoat - maybe sanding will be necessary?

Am I looking for some kind of epoxy paint if I decide to try the painting myself?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-11, 01:45 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the moment, you have a valid reason to send it back and have it done right

If you mess with it and it doesn't work for whatever reason, then you are screwed...
Old 06-04-11, 12:28 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpark
I ordered a replacement front bumper guard for a 2002 RX300 in the crystal white clearcoat from an ebay seller.

The bumper guard was sold unprimered with an additional painting service that would paint it any color so I asked and received verification that it would be the three step paint process for Toyota/Lexus color 062.

I received the bumper today and it looks good except the entire bumper is painted white including the area under the chin grill that should be flat black or unpainted as it appears to be on the original bumper guard.

I had sent a photo with explicit instructions to paint it in this fashion but evidently someone didn't read through the message.

Now I am considering either returning the bumper and asking for a properly painted replacement but before I do so, what does anyone think about masking the bumper and spray painting it flat black? Because it is the underside, it wouldn't have to be perfect.

I surmise the reason that area of the bumper is unpainted is because of the possibility of road debris chipping paint off that area . Also, the sides and rear bumper have the same black area on the underside which means the front is not visually integrated with the rest of the car.

Regarding painting the underside of the new bumper flat black, I have a couple of concerns:

1. If the reason for not painting it was to avoid evidence of road debris damage, painting it flat would simply set it up for the black to chip and reveal the white paint underneath.

2. I don't know if the black will adhere to the clearcoat - maybe sanding will be necessary?

Am I looking for some kind of epoxy paint if I decide to try the painting myself?

Thanks in advance.
1) Some chips may reveal the white underneath, some might go all the way to the substrate.

2) You would have to sand the area with 600-800 grit paper.

3) They make bumper/trim paint. Make sure it has a flex agent in it so that it doesn't crack/web out.
Old 06-04-11, 12:30 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
At the moment, you have a valid reason to send it back and have it done right

If you mess with it and it doesn't work for whatever reason, then you are screwed...
+1,000,000
Old 06-06-11, 10:49 AM
rickpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their comments. After communicating the issue with the vendor, they have offered to send me a properly painted bumper cover. I think this is very customer oriented and let them know I appreciated it.