Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz or AQuartz - anyone vouch for this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 10:04 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
Batman,

You should check with the condo board regarding a rinseless wash. It's basically 2 buckets of water ~ 6-8 gallons total. Might need to do it weekly so dirt doesn't build up but 30 minutes once a week is a big savings over a monthly detail.
+10000. On my old Black HHR (which had soft paint) the only way I could keep it swirl free was by using ONR weekly. If the condo board would allow this then I think this would be your best bet!
Old 05-26-11, 01:01 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would seriously consider a new detailer. It sounds like he is doing one of two things which are not working for you.

1. He is only hiding your swirls instead of correcting them or
2. He is the cause of your swirls with either his wash or drying techniques.

Actually you can do an ONR wash with as little as 2 gallons of water. I have done this numerous times inside of my garage (which has no drain) when it was below freezing outdoors and I drive a fullsize GS Lexus myself. If you have a garage the condo board never has to know.

You certainly don't want to put OptiCoat on your car unless you know all of the swirls have been removed (not hidden) or you will definitely not be happy. By the way my experience with Opticoat is with the original version - not the consumer available Opticoat 2.0. I can only assume they are comparable.

Last edited by OutlawTita; 05-26-11 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:11 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I use Swissvax Shield. I think the climate in South Florida is much more challenging than in California though. Hundred degrees, with high humidity is pretty challenging for any Carnauba wax. Carnauba melts at 180 degrees, and I reckon my hood must reach that temperature quite often.
Ahh, good point right there. Hmm, in that case, I'd definitely recommend Opticoat 2.0 then. Reason being, Optimum have been cranking out great products time after time and CQ is relatively new to the market

I'd like to add for Jim that CQ's etching properties seem quite promising. Leaving bird droppings on a few days in the SoCal sun didn't have an effect on the coating at all. I was impressed with that finding
Old 05-26-11, 10:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

look below...
Old 05-26-11, 10:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Issac, care to handle this?

BTW, i'm using a Highline II meter

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Ummm, In my 50 years of polishing I've never seen a DA remove 1 mil of paint with one pass. You sure about what you measured? What PTG were you using?

OK, so I've only been using the DA for 16 years, not 50, but I've never seen a DA with light polish and mild pad remove more than a fraction of a mil after several passes.

Paint is typically 5-6 mils thick. Clear is usually 1.5 - 2 mils, and that would mean that you would remove all the clear in one to two passes and all the paint, clear, base and e-coat in 4-5 passes.

???
Originally Posted by Todd@ProperAutoCare
One micron is equal to 25.4 microns. I measure almost every auto I detail the most I have ever seen a DA remove on one pass was .2 of a mil. This was using a very aggressive combination with a very aggressive pad and a aggressive application on soft paint. Is it possible that you meant .1 mils, or 1/10th of a mil (which seems excessive but doable)
Old 05-28-11, 02:47 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Issac, care to handle this?

BTW, i'm using a Highline II meter
I think we were measuring in Microns John. I'll have to make sure next time I use your Highline II. Assuming that you are removing quite a bit of clear, it might also be due to using much smaller pads. The decreased surface area when using a DA makes some polishes quite aggressive, but since I know you're using Green+light polish, it does seem odd. I'll check it next time I'm at the shop...
Old 05-29-11, 06:18 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

This is a great thread.

Coatings are definitely not the end all but they do provide great protection and piece of mind.

I have used Cquartz, Aquartz, Opti Coat, Nanolex, they all have their good and bad points. Application is not easy but not hard.

They key is to apply on paint that's is swirl free.

Like Todd said you want to use good car wash techniques and these type of coatings will do well.

It definitely does well with bird droppings.

It won't prevent from contaminants but it will ease the removal.
Old 04-16-12, 07:39 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Black is very hard to maintain, and the Lexus clearcoat is particularly soft. So I am looking for something which would increase the hardness to something that would be harder than the Ceramic Clear on Mercedes. Will Opticoat do this?
Batman = Stealth Pilot?

How has CQuartz been holding up on the BMW? I just applied Opticoat to my new mercedes and plan on doing the F10 soon.
Old 04-16-12, 11:38 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBoston
Batman = Stealth Pilot?

How has CQuartz been holding up on the BMW? I just applied Opticoat to my new mercedes and plan on doing the F10 soon.
Its been holding up very well. Because the BMW has a flat hood, it is very easy to see the beading. My passengers are always amazed when we are driving in the rain, because of the strong beading effect, and the way the beads roll off when I brake or drive fast.

More interestingly, I had 2 coats of CQuartz applied to my Lexus last June (following when I created this thread). While I no longer have the Lexus, I gave it to my parents, and the coating is still going strong despite the fact that my parents wash that car at a high volume hand wash. There hasn't been any loss in performance.

According to my detailer, CarPro is launching a new version targeted at detailers soon, which should be more of a permanent coating like Opticoat, as opposed to a 2-3 year coating like CQuartz. He prefers CQuartz because you don't need to worry about ensuring an even surface without high spots. That said, I know other detailers who rave about OptiCoat.
Old 04-16-12, 06:58 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

yeah in hindsight I would have used Cquartz. My Mercedes has about 4 highspots I missed, needs polishing now.