Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wheel lip refurb help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 12:43 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel lip refurb help needed

Hello my professional detail friends. I've got a challenge for you guys. I own a set of 19" Work Euroline DH's and they were damaged by the previous owner after he used some harsh staining chemical on them. I had several friends take a look at them who think the lips are polished, not chrome. The faces are chrome and the condition is almost perfect (9 out of 10). It's the lips that bother me all the time. I'm going to post a pic below of the worst one as an idea of their condition. As you can see, the faces are a complete mirror and reflect everything including the horrible lip condition. Though it gives you the appearance that something is on the face, it's just an immediate reflection of the lip issue. Do Work typically apply a clear coat on their polished lips? I wash them with normal soap and water and apply NXT wax, but they still look pretty bad afterwords. Let me know what you guys suggest even if it includes something dramatic like wetsanding and metal polish.

Last edited by Tabaka; 05-11-11 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 01:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thought DH lips were anodized...
Old 05-11-11, 01:21 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
thought DH lips were anodized...
I have no clue. Any idea how to clean and polish anodized to get this crap off of them?
Old 05-16-11, 08:39 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I drove all winter with my newly purchased racing hart wheel and was disappointed to find out that I could not just wash off the black disgusting crust that had been accumulating on the polished lip the whole time. I was pissed.
So after some serious trial and error I got them looking almost even better than when I bought them. This corrosion you have looks exactly the same as my wheels did. It looks like the surface of the lip may be pitted and if it is my method may not work for you but I can tell you how to get rid of the black nasty crust.

Oh and just so you know what you are getting into,,,,,,I spent like 4,FOUR,IV...hours on each wheel!!

OK first if those are true 3 piece, seriously consider removing the face of the wheel. It will make your job much easier.

Now what you are going to do is use sand paper with finer and finer grit until you have something that will polish out.

So I would start with something coarse like 220 or 320 and go from there.
Then move to 400,600,800,1000,1500,2000 grits.
Once you reach 2000, stop, that will polish out.
At this point I used the mothers power cone or whatever that thing is called that you hook to a drill. In combination with mothers aluminum and mag polish.