Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car washing products

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 07:11 PM
CTI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car washing products

I am looking for some advise to keep my car looking in tip top condition when it comes to washing it. I went to CDN Tire and looked at the car wash liquid selection and as you can imagine there is a ton of stuff.

Would a wash a wax liquid for example from Armoral be fine or should I be looking at just a wash without wax mentioned ? Seems to be only these two type s"Wash" and Wash n Wax"

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-11, 07:19 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

There's a great detailing portion of this forum here : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 05-06-11, 07:45 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you've got available to you is CT, then Meg's gold class is probably your best bet. I'd also use the 2 bucket method (search for it in the detail section) and get a spray wax to help with drying and renewing your wax protection. Lucas Slick mist is a good one available at CT. I generally stay away from armor all products, especially their protectant...

I'll tell you though that the stuff you can get online is so much better. Duragloss 901 shampoo and DG aqua wax come to mind. They are very inexpensive too. If you are in the states then make sure to pick up some stuff. I got Gold class for $8 at Target. It's $20 at CT...
Old 05-06-11, 08:55 PM
Supralaju
Rookie

I use Zymol for all my rides
Old 05-07-11, 02:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

optima no rinse
Old 05-07-11, 04:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I pretty much swear by Meguiars products. Love them. In regards to your question about car wash I use Meguiars Nxt Generation car wash or Meguiars Gold class

Old 05-07-11, 06:14 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

+1 on the gold class, great wash, Haven't tried the NXT but I use quite a few products from Meguiars with good results.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I pretty much swear by Meguiars products. Love them. In regards to your question about car wash I use Meguiars Nxt Generation car wash or Meguiars Gold class

Old 05-07-11, 07:47 AM
CTI
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all, I will give the Meguiars a try and return the other product I purchased.
Old 05-07-11, 12:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

+1 Maguires Gold Class is excellent! Last I checked, it was on sale at Target for about $5.88 for 64oz.

Great deal.
Old 05-07-11, 02:25 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

meg's gold class. optimum no rinse for extra scratch protection. 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, a good quality sheepskin mitt.. wheel brush, electric leaf blower and a waffle weave to blot.
Old 05-07-11, 03:39 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Here are a few I use to wash vehicles, Optimum Car Wash, Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR), BLACKFIRE Gloss Shampoo, Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditionerand Eimann Fabrik Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo .
Old 05-08-11, 04:11 PM
Gazootech
Rookie

I use whatever name brand wash is on sale. I picked 4 jugs of armor all for 1/2 price. Then I use zymol on the hood, and roof and eagle one ice everywhere else. I picked up a buffer at sears, there tools are 1/2 off alot. Big sale coming up for fathers day.
Old 05-08-11, 07:55 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CTI
I am looking for some advise to keep my car looking in tip top condition when it comes to washing it. I went to CDN Tire and looked at the car wash liquid selection and as you can imagine there is a ton of stuff.

Would a wash a wax liquid for example from Armoral be fine or should I be looking at just a wash without wax mentioned ? Seems to be only these two type s"Wash" and Wash n Wax"

Any input would be appreciated.

To answer your question about wash and waxes, consider that almost all automotive soaps are going to be some type of 'wash and wax' whether they are advertised as such or not.

The car soap market has a lot of competition so are you going to use a soap that makes your paint look the same (and clean) or a soap that adds some level of shine and helps the water bead off. Generally car soaps that are advertised as being a 'wash and wax' have a slightly higher concentration of wax.

Just remember unless you are using something as super concentrated like Optimum No-Rinse or 1Z Einszett Perls and washing quite frequently you should still use a quality wax or sealant to protect your paint.
Old 05-09-11, 06:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
+1 Maguires Gold Class is excellent! Last I checked, it was on sale at Target for about $5.88 for 64oz.

Great deal.
Hey did you happen to see if Target had Meguiar's NXT Generation car wash? I've tried Walmart and three of the auto parts stores near me and none of them seem to have it anymore.
Old 05-26-11, 04:08 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

**Bump**

Does anyone know if Target has this? I would like to swing by there after work tomorrow but don't want to waste my time going if they don't have it.

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Hey did you happen to see if Target had Meguiar's NXT Generation car wash? I've tried Walmart and three of the auto parts stores near me and none of them seem to have it anymore.

Quick Reply: Car washing products