Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone tried one of the 'permanent' coatings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 06:30 PM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried one of the 'permanent' coatings

When I dug myself out of detailing hibernation this spring, the new big things seems to be the 'permanent' coatings that are taking hold in the detailing world right now - Cquartz, opticoat, etc. I ordered some of the opticoat because I've had good luck with the optimum products. Anybody had experience with any of these products?

Last edited by cadfael_te; 04-01-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 08:49 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using CQ right now. I'm testing it to death since I'm not using Reload or anything. We'll see how long it lasts...
Old 04-10-11, 12:29 PM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

I use C1 by G Techniq I think it is the best hands down they have amazing products
Old 04-19-11, 02:18 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opticoat apparently adds 2-3 microns. Much thicker than any wax or sealant...
Old 04-19-11, 06:04 PM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Since I've had such good luck with OPT products over the last couple of years, I ordered some Opti-coat but I'm on the fence about going ahead and using it. May try it on the wife's truckster first.
Old 04-20-11, 05:27 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Loads of folks are trying the Opti-Coat 2, if your looking to get it then call us to order ( Opti-Coat 2 item # OPT-OOC2011-20 ) at $59.99 and with your forum discount the new price will be $53.99 plus shipping if you are only ordering just that. Remember we do run FREE shipping specials and this can be counted toward it.
Old 04-20-11, 06:53 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Can someone please elaborate more on this. I have never heard of permanent sealer or wax.
Old 04-20-11, 08:48 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

check out these links:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-coatings.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html

Apparently, it is easier to top Cquartz, and layer it in case you need to fix chips etc. I don't think you can do that with Opticoat (you would have to polish the entire panel to get it off then reapply).

Last edited by embolism; 04-21-11 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-22-11, 07:38 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I had OptiCoat applied to my GS last summer and I can't tell any difference today from the very first day. It was put on paint, trim, glass, and wheels. Car is much much easier to clean....everything washes off effortlessly. This is especially nice on my wheels. After driving in rain it almost looks like you didn't ..... the water just jumps off the car. The only real downside is that any lsp (waxes or sealants) also don't bond to the opticoat. They may slightly change the look but it is only temporary ..... they practically wash off. The good news is the car looks great without any additional lsp.....I just can't help using them from time to time out of habit.
Old 04-22-11, 10:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
I had OptiCoat applied to my GS last summer and I can't tell any difference today from the very first day. It was put on paint, trim, glass, and wheels. Car is much much easier to clean....everything washes off effortlessly. This is especially nice on my wheels. After driving in rain it almost looks like you didn't ..... the water just jumps off the car. The only real downside is that any lsp (waxes or sealants) also don't bond to the opticoat. They may slightly change the look but it is only temporary ..... they practically wash off. The good news is the car looks great without any additional lsp.....I just can't help using them from time to time out of habit.
I think I am going to order Opti Coat for my GS soon mainly as added protection for the clearcoat since my car gets hit with so many bird droppings and some parts of the clearcoat are etched already for it, hopefully it will also reduce how easily the soft clearcoat swirls/scratches which gets annoying having to polish over and over. I like the look and feel of a freshly waxed car and I have spent a good amount of money on some pricey waxes/sealants so I am a little discouraged that they won't really bond or adhere anymore once the Opti Coat is applied. Does the car look freshly waxed after Opti Coat is applied and does it stay that way, is there any particular wax/sealant the coating resembles when it is on the car?
Old 04-23-11, 07:29 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

looks depend on how well you prep it. I think you can still top it with Reload which is made for renewing CQuartz but can be used on opticoat.

Opticoat can be topped with optiseal but the durability will go way down since the coating is made so that nothing will really stick to it. You'll probably get a month out of optiseal as opposed to 4-6 mths if the coating wasn't there.
Old 05-01-11, 12:05 PM
nielboy
Driver School Candidate

I had the Opti-Coat applied on my 2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson because I didn't want to have to fuss with it as much as my wife's IS250.

So far very happy with the product. Been through one winter and the truck looks the same as the day it was applied.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried one of the 'permanent' coatings-2010-ford-f-150-harley-davidson-w-cooper-zeon-ltzs-20-.jpg   Anyone tried one of the 'permanent' coatings-2010-ford-f-150-harley-davidson-w-cooper-zeon-ltzs-4-.jpg   Anyone tried one of the 'permanent' coatings-2010-ford-f-150-harley-davidson-w-cooper-zeon-ltzs-7-.jpg  
Old 05-03-11, 04:41 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Opti-Coat 2.0 is a professional type grade of a paint coating that forms a permanent shield / protection on your car’s finish. Opti-Coat 2.0 is not a wax or paint sealant, both of which are sacrificial in nature and degrade over time. Opti-Coat 2.0 is a glossy, clear coating that uses advanced resin technology to permanently protect paint, wheels, plastic trim, metal surface, and head lights. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a like a second layer of skin for your ride, but only better.

Opti-Coat 2.0 will reduce the amount of time needed to upkeep your vehicle looking great. Routine washing is still required and periodic claying ( once or twice a year ) will help to keep your vehicle looking its best. Use your favorite spray sealant ( Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray ) or quick detail spray ( Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl II Instant Detail Spray) to give it that "just waxed" look after washing.

http://www.properautocare.com/blacdeepglos.html

http://www.properautocare.com/eifaclpeiiin.html