Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 09:50 PM
n0sGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailing cost?

How much would a complete detailing job cost clay, removing the swirls ,minor scratch etc...? Trying to see if it's cheaper to have the professional do it or do it my self.
Old 03-24-11, 12:25 AM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive seen my friend do the details his self with clay, goodluck lol it took us almost the whole day with great results. But since you're in cali, ive gotten quotes for like 130..hope that helps
Old 03-24-11, 04:05 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I just got a quote for a partial 2 stage buff on areas that need it, buff everywhere else, clay, and polish/wax (both or either i don't really know the difference) for $85, but i'm in New York
Old 03-24-11, 05:11 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say, different parts of the country has different prices. A true detailer who is going spend 10-14 hrs on your car who will take almost 90-95% of them off the surface (swirls) and knows his/her work, I would think $300 plus to start or charge by the hour starting at $35 per hour. You will get different answers from everyone.
Old 03-24-11, 06:14 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by n0sGS300
How much would a complete detailing job cost clay, removing the swirls ,minor scratch etc...? Trying to see if it's cheaper to have the professional do it or do it my self.
Have you determined your own costs? I would think the basic list for an exterior detail would be something like this:

Bucket
Wash Mitt
Automotive Soap
Chamois or Waffle Weave Towel
Clay Bar and Lubricant
Microfiber Towels
Working by hand or machine (buffer $125+)
Foam applicator(s)
Swirl removal product
Sealant or Wax

Your initial cost will be high, but evens out each time you detail otherwise you've got a bottle of product that sits on the shelf for years.

Although you can work by hand, using a buffer is more efficient and you'll obtain excellent results. However it requires practice.

The $85 stated in this thread is not out of line for anywhere. My dealership will perform a complete detail for $140.
Old 03-24-11, 07:59 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Have you determined your own costs? I would think the basic list for an exterior detail would be something like this:

Bucket
Wash Mitt
Automotive Soap
Chamois or Waffle Weave Towel
Clay Bar and Lubricant
Microfiber Towels
Working by hand or machine (buffer $125+)
Foam applicator(s)
Swirl removal product
Sealant or Wax

Your initial cost will be high, but evens out each time you detail otherwise you've got a bottle of product that sits on the shelf for years.

Although you can work by hand, using a buffer is more efficient and you'll obtain excellent results. However it requires practice.

The $85 stated in this thread is not out of line for anywhere. My dealership will perform a complete detail for $140.
That just goes to show you how different the rates could be. GOOD dealerships in my area will charge between $350-400+ for a nice detail for both interior and exterior on an average sized car. Obviously bigger cars or trucks are much more time consuming, premium cars will cost alot more to detail simply because of the liability involved. I can't imagine a business doing a proper detail for $140...it's just not possible unless the car already comes in clean and is only in need of VERY minor paint correction and/or it's a very light detail altogether that takes no more than 5-7 hours. Longer details will cost much more than $140.
Old 03-24-11, 01:11 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Cheap is no good............shop around for proven detailer since cost for a paint job is too expensived that you don't want to risk.
Old 03-24-11, 02:35 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything under 200, I would be very cautious as to what kind of detail you are getting. Full correction details cost way more..Legit full detail takes a day or two and is very involved..
Old 03-25-11, 01:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I got $85 because i used to go to school with the one guy and i'm a repeat customer. Also if these guys are good enough to detail a maserati gran turismo and numerous audi r8's i always see there, i think i will be ok haha
Old 03-25-11, 01:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I got $85 because i used to go to school with the one guy and i'm a repeat customer. Also if these guys are good enough to detail a maserati gran turismo and numerous audi r8's i always see there, i think i will be ok haha
Well, you got that price because you are friends with the guy. Something you didn't mention. Keep in mind, a full correction (after the vehicle is properly prepped and decontaminated) can take upwards of 10 hours easily for a top job. That's why a good detail cost good money.
Old 03-25-11, 06:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would imagine a complete detail would be at least $200 or more. Most shops around here charge close to $50-$75 just to wash and wax a car.
Old 03-25-11, 10:09 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

lexus paint is pretty soft so you can get pretty good results doing it yourself. Get some OTC clay and lube $15, a Porter Cable buffer $125, the Megs DA MF starter system $90, and a bug sponge $5 (to clean the pads), and for less than the cost of a paint correction, you can take care of your car, and your friends/families cars. You can charge nominal rates too and even make back your initial investment.
Old 03-25-11, 11:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^That's what I've been getting into lately. Learning about all the different products and their uses. It's been definitely more than a hobby for me, to the point where I'll just start detailing family and friends' cars. They always ask how much I charge, and I honestly tell them that I don't want anything because they're all family to me. But it's nice to get paid to do something that's enjoyable.
Old 03-31-11, 03:46 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Custom detailer who works specifically with high end cars lambo's,Ferrari, etc and comes out to you.

The Gold - 3 Step Rotary Detail Package
Starting at $449.99*

• Full service hand wash using reverse osmosis water and Poly's Clear Tech Detailers Fluid.
• Air blow drying of all surfaces and crevices.
• Removal of all bonded above surface contaminants to include paint, glass, and plastic lenses using our specialized clay method.
• Measure painted panels with digital paint gauge meter for paint thickness evaluations.
• Rotary cut/polish (step 1) all surfaces to remove fine to moderate hairline scratches and most surface imperfections which will add depth and clarity to the paintwork.
• Orbital polish (step 2) all surfaces to remove swirl marks and holograms which will add luster and maximize gloss.
• Orbital wax/seal (step 3) all surfaces using a premium wax or sealant to fully protect and maintain all surfaces.
• Clean and detail door, hood, and trunk jambs.
• Clean wheel face and barrels, polish and wax.
• Clean and detail brake calipers.
• Clean, degrease, and condition wheel wells.
• Clean, strip old tire dressings, and apply a rich conditioner to tires.
• Restore all black mouldings, trim, and window seals.
• Clean, vacuum, and shampoo the complete interior and crevices using a ph balanced cleaner.
• Clean, vacuum, and shampoo all carpets and mats using a ph balanced cleaner.
• Condition all leather and vinyl surfaces.
• Clean and polish all glass, gauge clusters, radio and navigation screens.
• Clean and polish all interior wood or carbon fiber accents and trim.
• Eliminate interior odors without leaving an artificial smell.
• Additional fee's apply for engine detailing.
Old 04-04-11, 08:18 PM
Dex334
Driver School Candidate

I would be oh so happy to get that type of job for only $450. Please post if anyone knows of this kind of service offered in South Florida. Seems like a deal to me.

Quick Reply: Detailing cost?