Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How soon to wax a new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 02:58 PM
yangster
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How soon to wax a new car

I will be picking up a new 2011 IS 350C soon. It is currently being built, so it will be as new as it can be -- No time sitting on the dealer's lot waiting to be sold. The color is Matador Red. Any recommendations on how long I should wait to put something on it??? and any recommendations on what to use for that first application?
Thanks,
Bill.
Old 03-04-11, 05:24 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it right away. Factory paint is " baked " in much higher temp then in body shop so is cure very fast. As for first application - milion options.
Old 03-04-11, 05:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Its never too soon to wax a brand new car. Get protection on it ASAP, the sooner the better!
Old 03-04-11, 06:26 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you planning to have the car outside or in the garage? Also, how often would you prefer to wax and whatnot. There are waxes that last a few weeks to a few months in the market right now. Many factors to consider so please list your criteria so we can help you further
Old 03-05-11, 06:52 PM
yangster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Are you planning to have the car outside or in the garage? Also, how often would you prefer to wax and whatnot. There are waxes that last a few weeks to a few months in the market right now. Many factors to consider so please list your criteria so we can help you further
Car is for the wife. Parked in garage at home. She works a couple days a week and parks outside in the sun. I would like something that provides maximum protection, easy to apply, lasts a long time and shines out the wahzoo! ha, not asking too much am I??? LOL. Currently, I have a MB and am using NXT with applications about every 4 mo. It goes on easy and I can use the orbital to take the dried wax off.
Old 03-05-11, 07:02 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat's on your new ride!

I have MRM and love it! I was warned that some of the new paints in general are pretty soft and don't resist etching from bird dropping etc very well and to wax it as soon as I got the car home. That's what I did back in 2005 and the car has held up beautifully!!

FWIW I use Collinite. It has a nice warm glow to it and really protects well and lasts. GL!
Old 03-05-11, 08:44 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by yangster
Car is for the wife. Parked in garage at home. She works a couple days a week and parks outside in the sun. I would like something that provides maximum protection, easy to apply, lasts a long time and shines out the wahzoo! ha, not asking too much am I??? LOL. Currently, I have a MB and am using NXT with applications about every 4 mo. It goes on easy and I can use the orbital to take the dried wax off.
Collinite 845 seems to be up your alley. Its easy to apply and lasts pretty long. Due to the hybrid qualities it has, it also has a slight glow from the carnauba
Old 03-06-11, 07:48 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell the dealer not to touch the car. They will probably try to wash it for you and add the dealer swirl option for free...

some even send the new cars through their "detail" operations, which put rotaries into the hands of people that do not know what they are doing with them so you get holograms and other surprises that will show up once the dealer glazes wash off your car...

when you get it home, wash, clay if required (do the baggie test), and put on 2 coats of collinite, 12 hours apart...

repeat 6 months later or just before winter...
Old 03-07-11, 12:30 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

since you live in georgia, your car is probably coming on a train. you're probably gonna have rail dust. do a clay before you wax.
Old 03-07-11, 05:23 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Thanks for the help. My car will be coming in via the Port of Jacksonville, FL. Not sure if it comes in via train or trailer from there. My guess would be trailer, but who knows.

Collinite 845...wow. I never heard of that. I guess I start researching it. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-11, 06:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd add that you are just approaching the heavy pollen season, Love Bugs are just waking up and birds are migrating now so I'd get the paint protected as soon as possible.
Old 03-07-11, 06:34 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yangster
Thanks for the help. My car will be coming in via the Port of Jacksonville, FL. Not sure if it comes in via train or trailer from there. My guess would be trailer, but who knows.

Collinite 845...wow. I never heard of that. I guess I start researching it. Thanks again.
Not much to it. It's a hybrid sealant/wax that is the best bang for the buck out there (about $15 a bottle). The packaging is generic, the company doesn't market it, but it's in every detailer's arsenal for winter prep. Should be the consistency of milk when you use it (shake it up real good, and during application -- keep your finger over the cap just in case). I put my bottle in a warm water bath about 20 min before I need it. Put it on really thin. Once the applicator pad is primed, it literally takes a few drops to do a panel. Once you do the whole car, it should be dry. Wipe it off with a clean microfibre, should be real easy. I wait 12 hours btw coats b/c of the sealant properties (most sealers require cure time). 845 also does not have cleaners so you can use it on top of dedicated sealers as a last stage product. You can also use it on glass, your rims (to keep brake dust from sticking to them), and inside the wheel barrels.

Since845 also has carnauba in it you get a warmer glow than just a coated in plastic look like some of the purely synthetic stuff.

I think that covers it...

Last edited by embolism; 03-07-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 06:42 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Covers it very well. Love me some Collinite!
Old 03-08-11, 11:31 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing much to add to the above other than I would definitely clay. Doesn't take long and then you'll KNOW your entire surface is clean.
I'm a Zaino fan but certainly recognize that there are other paths.

And I add another vote to the "as soon as possible" column: once we get a few 60-70 F days, you're going to have plenty of bug splatter to deal with down here, too.

And congratulations on the new whip!
Old 03-09-11, 01:23 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

ASAP if you can. Get it done before it's to late.

http://www.properautocare.com/productlines.html

Quick Reply: How soon to wax a new car