Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 04:46 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)

I have a brand new Lexus IS 250 AWD (with the upgraded semi-aniline) leather and am going to be performing a long-term test to see what happens to my back seat middle headrest when cleaned & conditioned using the products listed in the title.

So, although the headrest will not necessarily be subjected to the exact environment and wear that leather in a car would be, I am going to do the following:

I am going to separate the headrest into three sections (the headrest will remain intact but I will draw lines to separate it into thirds.)

The FIRST and left-most side will be left untreated.

The SECOND and middle section will be cleaned with LEXOL Leather Cleaner and conditioned with LEXOL Leather Conditioner.

The THIRD and right-most side will be conditioned with LEATHERIQUE'S Rejuvenator Oil and then cleaned with LEATHERIQUE'S Pristine Clean as recommended by LEATHERIQUE.

I will use my hands to "use" the leather like it would be in a car. For example, I will push it and knead it on a regular basis in order to cause creasing like leather in cars. I will also store this in my garage because I just moved to Nebraska and it will therefore be subjected to bitter cold in the winter and high humidity and heat.

I will perform these treatments every six months and will post the results and pictures.

So, here is the first picture of the brand-new headrest. I will be able to start the first treatment later this week and will post the pics.

Enjoy! I will see you all in 6 months!
Attached Thumbnails Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)-006.jpg  
Old 02-06-11, 04:58 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See your review in the future.
Old 02-06-11, 05:22 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I use Leatherique religiously on my Ferrari, but that is because it has OEM Connolly UNTREATED leather.

With the Lexus, there are countless arguments about whether or not conditioners even penetrate the leather due to it being treated.

I hope this test over the next few years will shed some truth as to what is and isn't good for treated leather.
Old 02-07-11, 05:59 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Looking forward to it and remember folks to at least take care of your Leather interior's so they will last longer and feel better.
Old 02-07-11, 06:13 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What a great test. I've had some problems with leather and look forward to your test results.
Old 02-07-11, 07:12 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 355F1
I use Leatherique religiously on my Ferrari, but that is because it has OEM Connolly UNTREATED leather.

With the Lexus, there are countless arguments about whether or not conditioners even penetrate the leather due to it being treated.

I hope this test over the next few years will shed some truth as to what is and isn't good for treated leather.
What model Ferrari do you have?

Judging by your signature, I am assuming that you have a 355? I am pretty certain the leather is coated, although at the time, Conolly was using a semi-aniline finish as opposed to either a true aniline (uncoated) or pigmented (top-coated) leather. The hide was dyed, and a coating was applied on top of that.

To test the leather simply put a drop of water on the seat. If the water beads up it is coated. If the water absorbs into the seat, like it would a paper towel, it is uncoated (true aniline). I would say that 90-95 percent of my cliental is Ferrari's and that I have not seen one with uncoated leather since an original interior 400.
Old 02-07-11, 11:59 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking forward to the results.
Old 03-02-11, 06:10 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
I

I put lexol on an old lexus leather seat, and it made the leather much softer.

it is finished coated leather with a bunch of creases.
i put several applications within 1 week, and judging by the suppleness, I'd say lexol penetrated just fine.
Old 03-07-11, 08:59 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the keyword there is old

the coating does break down over time, making the seats more susceptible to wear and stains. The routine use of cleaners and conditioners/protectants helps keep the coating from wearing away as quickly, by providing a sacrificial layer of protection, much like the wax on a car.

While I think Lexus glass has UV filters, how could it hurt to use a gentle leather cleaner and a spritz of 303 aerospace (I think it has spf 40) once a month? The key is to not let your leather get to the point where it looks like it needs help. By then it's likely too late to reverse the damage...

looking forward to the 6 mth followup!
Old 09-07-11, 01:50 PM
DsJackson
Driver School Candidate

6 month observations? It's been almost 7
Old 02-27-12, 07:27 PM
sallydrive
Driver

So, it's been over a year? Test results?
Old 03-03-12, 05:09 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Great Initiative 355F1 Would love to see the results
Old 03-03-12, 12:50 PM
mike690001
Driver School Candidate

I'm not much of a lexol fan. It barely protects in the florida sun.
Old 03-03-12, 05:53 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Hasn't been on in a while, maybe he forgot about the thread?
Old 03-19-12, 05:26 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

in for the results ... if the op is still around lol

Quick Reply: Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)