Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

pinstripe removal UNDERNEATH clearcoat?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 05:28 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pinstripe removal UNDERNEATH clearcoat?!

Alright fellas... need some help here. I hit up a search but couldn't find my exact issue.

I have a 95 SC400, sandstone beige metallic. It has a dark brown pinstripe on it, which I hate, so I started removing it. I quickly found out that it was painted on and not a decal, so I used goo gone, and it worked great. I did it on driver/passenger side front fenders, and driver/passenger side doors. I went to do both rear fenders, got driver's side started, which seems to be stuck on there a little more. Then I started passenger side, and NOTHING.

On all the other panels you could feel the pinstripe sticking out a bit. On the passenger rear fender, it feels like it is underneath the clear coat. No dark brown reside would come off on the rag or anything.

My dilemma now is that I have most of the car with no pinstripe, one rear fender started, and one rear fender where it doesn't seem to come off. It's looking super ugly! Sorry for the long story, but any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-11, 08:12 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well. That sucks! As a painter I dont recommend even trying to mess around with that stripe under the clear.My advice is to

(A) If you were just unhappy with the color,Buy a pinstripe color that you like and use that to carefully cover up the old stripe and then do the rest of the car so it matches.

(B)If you dont like the stripe at all. Find a color that is close as possible to your cars paint and again use that to carefully cover up the old stripe and then do the whole car.
Old 01-17-11, 09:40 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by breadbeat
Well. That sucks! As a painter I dont recommend even trying to mess around with that stripe under the clear.My advice is to

(A) If you were just unhappy with the color,Buy a pinstripe color that you like and use that to carefully cover up the old stripe and then do the rest of the car so it matches.

(B)If you dont like the stripe at all. Find a color that is close as possible to your cars paint and again use that to carefully cover up the old stripe and then do the whole car.
Hmm I was thinking about this already. I'm probably going to have to end up doing this. Thanks for the advice! ...are there any other options guys???
Old 01-21-11, 12:26 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Breadbeat mentioned, your options are limited. Your rear panel on the one side was evidently repainted once upon a time, and the shop clearcoated OVER the pinstripe. The only thing you can do to rectify that is to refinish the panel again, removing the tape in the prep process.

I'd probably choose to go with a different color pinstripe over the brown, but I also realize that if you don't like pinstripes, that isn't such a great option.

Best wishes.
Old 01-22-11, 03:53 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe get touch up paint then wetsand then buff?