Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Hand Waxing vs. Electric Polish tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 12:13 AM
SorayamaK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Waxing vs. Electric Polish tool

Hello folks,

I'm the proud owner of a LS 400 2 tone (Pearl/Silver). I'm looking for some advice on proper waxing.

Is it better to hand wax or use a machine. If a machine is preferred.........what manufacturer/model would you recommend?

Would appreciate any and all advice. TIA!!!!!!
Old 08-10-02, 09:23 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I think it is always better to hand wax a car. Sometimes I use a buffer to remove the wax....but rarely to apply it.

The only reason to ever use a polisher is speed not quality.

MW
Old 08-10-02, 04:18 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for applying waxes or glazes or whatever, look into a Porter Cable 7336 with the appropriate accessories like pads. Its available at Lowe's or coastaltools.com

http://www.autopia-carport.com

one of my other homes
Old 08-11-02, 11:04 PM
SorayamaK
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for advice

Thanks for the advice.....am going to lean towards hand-waxing and using a polisher for removal of wax.
Old 08-12-02, 08:14 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Good Choice,

Applying wax by hand is the only sure way of getting a clean even coat of protection around the entire car. My removal technique is to wait for the wax to setup. You can usually tell when it is ready by taking your finger and swiping at it. If the wax smears, then it is not ready. If it come clean and leaves your finger a little white with dust then it is ready.. I then use a buffer to hit the big spots and follow up with a polishing cotton towel.

Good Luck.

MW
Old 08-13-02, 04:45 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Well, can't say much about a buffer. I had one but, only used a couple of times. I actually thought hand polishing was much better. I know people will disagree. Long as my car is shiny and clear. Then, I am finished. I think for most that hand polishing would be better. You can actually cause a mark on the paint by burning it in one area if, the waxer is focused on one area too long or if it is too fast. The newer ones supposedly do not have that much of a problem but, just trying to figure out the buffer will at least take twice as long as waxing the car by hand.

Last edited by black sc; 08-13-02 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-15-02, 10:14 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Pro detailers have always told me that an orbital buffer at high speed is the only way to heat up the wax so that it sticks to the clear coat. Just never use heavy pressure or you'll burn the clearcoat off!
Old 08-15-02, 02:21 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Zaino Bros polish came with instructions to go forward/back on all horizontal surfaces and top/down on all vertical surfaces when applying the polish. Tough to do with an orbital! When I detailed other peoples cars as a kid, I always told them that a machine was better. Never used that "heat up the wax" story thou. I used the "only way to ensure complete coverage" or the "leaves a much more uniform coat of wax" story.

If a professional detailer told you that hand waxing is better, then he better have HUGE GUNS from the work out. He would need some serious arm/wrist/hand strength to hand wax cars EVERY DAY/ all DAY.

MW
Old 08-15-02, 03:26 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

I guess I should have added that they also told me that hand waxing doesn't last long enough due to the lack of the human hands not being strong enough or endurring enough for the amount of energy to apply the wax evenly enough.
Old 09-13-02, 09:15 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I investigated the hand vs. machine wax issue a few months ago. Generally speaking, using an orbital polishing machine is not recommended for novices because it's very hard to do it right and avoid damaging (burning) the paint.

But if newer machines are less vulnerable to that, they maybe I'll consider doing that again.

I apply wax with my bare hands, and it's true I have noticed that the wax applies more easily and more evenly if I rub my palms together briskly before touching the car. It warms the wax up and makes it softer.

I use a paste wax, so perhaps a liquid wax wouldn't have this problem so much. As to whether the wax requires a certain amount of heat to "adhere" to the surface, I sort of doubt this is true since every wax product I have ever used always instructs you to apply only to a car with a cool surface, preferably in the shade.

Ral
Old 09-13-02, 09:58 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I apply all my waxes with a Meguiars Hi-Tech Applicator Pad. These ultra-soft applicator pads apply any liquid or paste product uniformly and evenly.

Safe for any car’s finish, they work equally well on fine furniture, silver, clear plastics and other delicate items. They're completely washable and reusable...But don’t put in the dryer.

I get them 2/$1.67 at Wal-Mart.

I use terry applicators when applying glazes and polishes, though. The foam applicators will squeak and screech. It's a sound that is remimscent of fingernails on a chalkboard or rubbing and twisting a balloon in your hands.
Attached Images