Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 03:51 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default ................................................

Last edited by funcrusher; 12-13-15 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 06:14 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you check out our engine bay section of our detailing guide you can see the basic process. It's very simple really you just need a good light degreaser and a good dressing that is not greasy. I really like the Optimum (OPT) Power Clean and the 303 Aerospace Protectant. In short, put a light mist of water on the engine bay, mist the degreaser on it, wait 1 - 2 minutes and rinse it off. Go back and spray the Power Clean on any stubborn stains and agitate with a brush or rag. When you are done dry it off with a rag and then mist the 303 AP on a separate towel and wipe down all the vinyl, plastic and rubber pieces (except bets and moving pieces). The engine bay should look like new and it's protected. Best of all this process really only takes about 20 - 35 minutes. Best of all we are offering 20% off and $4.99 flat rate shipping with the coupon code Early10 through 11/18 (EST). Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-18-10, 01:00 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't really wanna cheap out and buy something that's not ph-balanced. you'll pay for it in the future with dried and cracked hoses.

meg's APC is pretty good and cheap. also get a ez detail brush. it makes things way easier.
Old 11-18-10, 05:25 AM
sphillips
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine to the car wash the other day and cleaned with a wand. You have to be careful where your spray as you dont want to damage anything with the high pressure or create any electrical issues. The only thing mine lacks is the Armoral treatment a dealer would do, but I'm not doing that.
Old 11-18-10, 07:22 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go : A Piece Done by Todd @ ProperAutoCare

Detailing your engine bay and keeping it clean not only makes working on your engine easier but it shows a sense of pride of ownership. Modern engines are fairly easy to clean and detail, but keep in mind that you will using liquids and water around electrical equipment. Modern cars are sealed very well from the factory, but you should protect equipment such as the ECU or the Alternator. If you don't know what these are or what they look like, then you shouldn't detail your engine.

Products Needed.

-A quality degreaser such as Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser or Meguiars Super Degreaser

-A couple of brushes (I use old paint brushes)

-Running water

-Towels

-Your favorite dressing such as Meguiars Natural Shine, Meguiars Hyperdressing, or 1Z's Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant

1) The engine can be warm or cool to the touch, although warmer temperatures will help break down grease and grime. However you do NOTwant to spray cool water on a hot engine!

2) Use aluminum foil and wrap it around sensitive electrical equipment such as alternator or the ECU. Do NOT use aluminum foil on the battery as you could bridge the terminals.

3) Where gloves and eye protection to protect against any caustic chemicals. You do NOT want engine degreaser ending up in your eye's!

4) Spray a liberal amount of engine degreaser on all areas that need to be cleaned and allow to dwell for 30 seconds.

5) Agitate the degreaser into a lather using a soft brush to help facilitate the removal of stubborn grease and grit.

6) Rinse throughly using flowing water. Avoid spraying water with pressure on to sensitive equipment, but rather work around them. Rinse all solution off the engine, fire wall, and inner fenders.

7) Dry the engine as much as possible. If you have a high speed electric leaf blower use it remove as much standing water as possible from all the various nooks and crannies. If you have a wet vac you can use this to such water out of tight areas. If you have neither use a towel to soak up as much as possible.

8) Close engine bay and start engine. Allow to run up to normal operating temperature for at least 5 minutes.

9) After engine dries, apply your favorite dressing to the hoses and plastics, and enjoy!

In pictures:

My mother's Hyundai was in desperate need of having its engine detailed. A perfect demo car in need of some love!

I sprayed the engine compartment down with a liberal coat of Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser. The degreaser immediately began to loosen the grease and grime.

Very dirty areas require agitation with a soft brush.

The underside of the hood was very dirty as well, and in need of a little cleaning.

After flushing the engine bay throughly with water, little areas of grime might remain. This is a perfect time, if you desire, to get out a q-tip and clean any spots up.

Remove as much standing water as possible, then close the engine and allow it to run up to operation temperature to facilitate drying. After it cools down, apply your favorite dressing and enjoy! I used 1Z Rubber-Vinyl Care 'Tienfienpfleger'

Old 11-18-10, 11:44 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ That's disgustingly clean! I seriously need to give this a thought soon.
Old 11-22-10, 12:30 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Thanks man but I was trying to see if there's something I can get at the dollar store or wal mart? Something cheap that won't mess up anything. I didn't want to spend that much, nobody sees that area....
do yourself a favor and dont bother doing it if you want stuff to use from walmart or the dollar store. you will be VERY sorry.
Old 12-14-10, 11:29 PM
Peter5767
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pictures look just like under the hood of my 94 C280 Benz years ago. The last time I hosed it at the car wash, it ends up at the repair shop the next day. So, I learn not to look under the hood since then.......Liquid, metal, rubber, and electrical don't like each other.....But a mist of engine cleaner, a small brush, a lot of disposal gloves and rags for dry cleaning would ease the eyes.
Old 12-15-10, 07:49 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Hope this helps you all out in cleaning your engine bay area. A clean engine works better and looks better too!