Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

cleaning pen mark on leather steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 10:41 AM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning pen mark on leather steering wheel

I have a new 2010 es, red with beige interior, that I bought about 3 weeks ago.

I am in outside sales and use a pen in my car every day.

I accidentally put a 1 inch pen mark on the leather wrapped steering wheel, when I was writing something down while driving. It is likely that I will probably do it again sometime in the future on the seats or somewhere else.

I am experimenting with using a voice recorder to record info instead of writing while driving, also safer.

How should I clean that? Can the dealer do it?
Old 11-14-10, 04:52 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Clean magic eraser + all purpose cleaner = clean steering wheel. Call in a local detailer and let them take care of your car on a regular basis. They will be able to remove the pen marks for you (unless you hire a cheap a$$ hack).
Old 11-14-10, 05:13 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my old '98 ES detailed once. Partly because it was late November, and at the time I didn't have a garage to work in, it was too cold to do it outside, and I didn't have time anyway. The other reason was a big ball point pen mark on the passenger seat, that I asked them to get out.

When I got the car back, the pen mark was still there, it was like they didn't even touch it. The told me they couldn't get it out.

That was the last time I ever paid someone to detail my car. Never again.

Took the car home, thought I'd give a Mr Clean eraser a try (they had just come out on the market). Took it right off, with plain water. I thought about taking the car back to the detailer to complain, but I just chalked it up to a life lesson.
Old 11-16-10, 02:05 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
I had my old '98 ES detailed once. Partly because it was late November, and at the time I didn't have a garage to work in, it was too cold to do it outside, and I didn't have time anyway. The other reason was a big ball point pen mark on the passenger seat, that I asked them to get out.

When I got the car back, the pen mark was still there, it was like they didn't even touch it. The told me they couldn't get it out.

That was the last time I ever paid someone to detail my car. Never again.

Took the car home, thought I'd give a Mr Clean eraser a try (they had just come out on the market). Took it right off, with plain water. I thought about taking the car back to the detailer to complain, but I just chalked it up to a life lesson.
That is what happens when you are a cheapskate and hire the lowest bidding detailer. You get what you pay for, and in this case, they clearly had never heard of the eraser.
Old 11-16-10, 03:30 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

I paid $200 to have it done, which I thought was high. This was at a dealership that sold only very high end cars. They were the only detailing place in town. And now they are out of business. I wonder why...

I've since invested in my own detailing tools and products (Zaino), and learned how to do it properly.
Old 11-16-10, 07:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Might want to put a disclaimer on the Mr. Clean eraser tip. Please remember that it is a very fine abrasive so it is either removing a bit of the leather or the UV coating they put on most of the leathers in our cars
Old 11-21-10, 11:25 AM
jgcec
Driver

I had the Lexus dealer do it for free at the 1000 mile service. I don't know what they used but it is almost gone and very hard to see.

Has anyone used the magic eraser on the leather for cleaning?
Old 11-21-10, 11:59 AM
kengi1600
Driver School Candidate

I heard people using goo gone,white rain hairspray,magic eraser,carefully scrape with razor blade wet,I think dealerships use leather ink remover...anyways good luck

kengi

Last edited by kengi1600; 11-21-10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 12:03 PM
kengi1600
Driver School Candidate

just found this on the net...good luck

Depends on the ink! If its just your basic ballpoint or Stabillo try a Shout Wipe. Have charcoal leather but I was in the car and I lightly swiped the fabric on my A pillar. Freaked out but remembered that a Shout wipe took out the ink on a white shirt. Ran to the store and picked up a package. Worked PERFECTLY no residue.

Few weeks later left a felt tip on my seat saw about four lines. Don't know how long it was on there. Took the Shout wipe and it removed it instantly without ANY leather color or finish removal. Saw the ink on the wipe nothing else.
Old 11-22-10, 12:28 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try isopropyl rubbing alcohol. i had a pen mark on black leather seats and it took it right out when every leather cleaner i tried, could not.
Old 11-22-10, 02:20 PM
kengi1600
Driver School Candidate

found out today dealerships use this..

http://www.leatheronlyproducts.com/