Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windshield Sun Protector

Old 10-01-10, 04:11 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Windshield Sun Protector

Does anyone use them? The previous owner always put one up when parking under the sun. Figured i might as well go buy one since i park under the sun while at work
Old 10-01-10, 08:54 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Does anyone use them? The previous owner always put one up when parking under the sun. Figured i might as well go buy one since i park under the sun while at work
I always use one. Even when it is cloudy. I left my sunshade off on one sunny May day, under the intense Sun, for about an hour and it appered to have left the dashboard slightly warped. Since then I always use my sunshade during the day.
Old 10-02-10, 09:49 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Does anyone use them?
Every single day, without fail. It's simply too hot here not to. I would highly recommend getting one that is two pieces, not the big tin foil one. Those are not nearly as effective, as you need to be able to move it around depending on where/how you are forced to park. I have found that the SUV sized units are better, and offer more protection. Readily available at Costco for less than $12, too.

Big Mack
Old 10-04-10, 05:23 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You can try our Auto Sunshield.

Our UV Heat & Sun Shields perfectly fit your car's inside windshield to reduce heat build-up when parking in the sun. Each shield features an outer layer of reflective silver fabric sewn over a layer of heat insulating foam. The inside layer and all edges are soft felt to protect your car's interior.

Simply unfold, place against the windshield and pull down your car's sun visors to hold the shield in place. When removed, the multiple panels accordion fold for easy storage.

Note: UV Heat & Sun Shields are custom made and shipped to you from the factory by UPS ground service (typically 10 to 14 days delivery).
Old 11-12-14, 06:49 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelo
You can try our Auto Sunshield.

Our UV Heat & Sun Shields perfectly fit your car's inside windshield to reduce heat build-up when parking in the sun. Each shield features an outer layer of reflective silver fabric sewn over a layer of heat insulating foam. The inside layer and all edges are soft felt to protect your car's interior.

Simply unfold, place against the windshield and pull down your car's sun visors to hold the shield in place. When removed, the multiple panels accordion fold for easy storage.

Note: UV Heat & Sun Shields are custom made and shipped to you from the factory by UPS ground service (typically 10 to 14 days delivery).
This looks pretty good. I wish I knew about it before getting the Lexus one from the dealership

one would think they are all the same...
Old 11-13-14, 07:36 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

When I can't find covered parking, I use one of those large round spring open type of sunshields. It refolds into a smaller circle with the quick flip of the wrist and stores easily.

Temperatures inside a vehicle parked in the summer sun can reach 140-160° F, even with the windows cracked. Extreme temps like that can cause vinyl to vaporize some of it's plasticizers which usually deposit as a film on the windshield and gauges. This extreme heat may ultimately lead to warping or even cracking of the dash and also will cause your leather to dehydrate leading to shrinking, hardening, creasing and eventually even cracking.

These temperatures do not just occur in cars in the south as I've measured 150+ in cars here in WI. While a sunshield can reduce the maximum temperature by as much as 30-40 F, it is still a better plan to find covered parking where possible. Under a covered parking structure your car will stay at the outside air temp.