Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best product to cleancloth seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 07:16 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best product to cleancloth seats?

My Sienna is getting super dirty over time from work and the cloth seats have these dark color stains on it. What is the best product for a quick shampoo to take out the stains. And what other products would I need? brush?etc, thanks!
Old 09-29-10, 11:42 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An all purpose cleaner like simple green or purple power, mixed with water and a damp rag I suppose. I'd take a rug doctor with an upholstery attachment and do the entire car, seats and all at least once a year.
Old 09-30-10, 12:33 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Degreasers may work but sometimes they can be too strong for the interior and leave a foul smell behind. A very safe and effective product is the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. It works on fabrics, vinyl, plastic, etc. so it's versatile and a great value. For the carpets and fabric seats I spray the seats and then use a bristle brush to work the product in to the fiber. Start on the top and work your way down the seats. I wipe down the dashboard, doors, trim, console, etc. with a microfiber towel and the 303. If you want the best value you can get the same exact cleaning formula in a concentrated version in the 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner. I dilute anywhere from 5:1 to 10:1. It's completely safe at full strength but you get a better value from diluting it. Therefore one 32oz bottle can get you over 300 ounces of cleaning solution. Both versions will work great and clean just about everything your seats will have on them. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-30-10, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The only way to clean the fabric properly is to get something like this:

Any cleaning products you put on the seats will end up staying in the fabric, there is simply no way you will be able to remove it. The foaming cleaners do work well, but the soap stays in the material, all it does is neutralize the dirt and grime so you can't see it. Using the above machine, I cleaned a car that had been previously "cleaned" with a foaming product (the car did look clean), the amount of soap and dirt that I lifted out was amazing.
Old 10-02-10, 06:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would actually recommend this one, as it comes with the $25 scrubber as part of the same kit - according to Bissell, the auto one doesn't. Same money, why not get more?

And you can get it at Lowe's, which makes it convenient, because they carry the cleaning detergent, too.

Big Mack
Old 10-03-10, 08:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The auto one does come with the "power" scrubber (you can see it in the pic). It also comes with a nice narrow attachment for getting into tight spots, the Green one doesn't. But other than that, I think they are exactly the same machine.
Old 10-03-10, 11:18 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The auto one does come with the "power" scrubber (you can see it in the pic). It also comes with a nice narrow attachment for getting into tight spots, the Green one doesn't. But other than that, I think they are exactly the same machine.
Well, according to the manufacturer, it does not come with it. In looking at it online at several retailers, it does not come with it. Maybe they're wrong, but if it doesn't, that's a $25 part. The little wand is $5.

Big Mack
Old 10-04-10, 12:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Could be a different product/packaging for the Canadian market perhaps.

Either way, the machine is nearly identical so go with the less expensive one. I rarely use the thin attachment TBH. Actually I don't use the power brush either. But the machine comes in very handy, I cleaned the carpet/seats in all my cars and the amount of dirt that came out was amazing. Best money I've spent on a cleaning product. The downside is if your car is very dirty, it can take a long time to get it all out. On my one car I honestly needed an industrial type unit (the car is 23 years old).

But after you get the all the built up crud out, it's easy to maintain it. I also Scotch guarded the carpet, not sure if it will help but I don't think it can hurt.

edit - here's a couple of pics of my '87 Camry after I cleaned everything. The car looks like new inside, literally.

Last edited by LeX2K; 10-04-10 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 05:30 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

how much is that steamcleaner?
Old 10-08-10, 06:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i love the Bissel LG!
Old 10-08-10, 08:50 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by willhickey
how much is that steamcleaner?
$99 for the green one at Lowes. I do not believe they carry the auto unit, but Amazon does, and it's the same price. As I said, though, it is marked by the manufacturer to not include the spin brush, whereas the green one does. If it does have it, they're essentially the same unit. If not, that's a $25 upgrade for the auto unit. The green one does not have the little wand, which is a $5 part.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i love the Bissel LG!
Where did you get yours? How effective is the moisture removal? That's a big question I have about them. The one I had was a very different unit, but the seats and carpet would be almost bone dry when it was done. Of course, it was a bit more money at $400, but pro gear always costs more since it will get used and needs to be more durable.

Big Mack