Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino Brothers Car Polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 02:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok, since i got some time, let me write up something again.

zaino is very good stuff as a lot of us have said, and in fact it's very very easy to use (it won't be any harder than any of the wax stuff you see outside, at least), so try it

z1 - the stuff that helps to bond the wax to the paint and also with each layer of wax
z2 / z3 - this is the real deal, polish and wax. this is what makes your car shine
z5 - swirl mark remover, remove fine scratches and swirl marks
z6 - spray. put this on after you wax and polish your car, makes it look even better
zfx - helps to enhance the hazing of the z2/z3

basically you shouldn't put on more than one layer of wax within 24 hours. and how many layers of wax that's personal choice. usually with 3 layers of wax it's very good already, but if you put 5 to 6 layers of wax it just looks much better. and since as you drive and wash the car it wears out the wax anyway, it's a good idea to wax it often. i wash my car every week, and wax is using z2 / z5 once a week or once every two weeks, so you can imagine. you can use z2 and z5 in between, it doesn't matter at all.

for those new guys with zaino, this is what you should do. wash your car using kitchen detergent. they are strong and you will wash away all the old wax. then use clay bar with soap solution to clay away all the old dust, stains, and remaining wax. wash the car away and dry it completely. put on a layer of z1, and WITHOUT wiping it off, put on z2 / z3 (depends on whether you have clear coat or not). you can use z5 too if you have swirl marks around. after that, you just continue to wash and wax the car, and your car will keep the shine forever.
Old 07-15-02, 03:34 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
ok, since i got some time, let me write up something again.

zaino is very good stuff as a lot of us have said, and in fact it's very very easy to use (it won't be any harder than any of the wax stuff you see outside, at least), so try it

z1 - the stuff that helps to bond the wax to the paint and also with each layer of wax
z2 / z3 - this is the real deal, polish and wax. this is what makes your car shine
z5 - swirl mark remover, remove fine scratches and swirl marks
z6 - spray. put this on after you wax and polish your car, makes it look even better
zfx - helps to enhance the hazing of the z2/z3

basically you shouldn't put on more than one layer of wax within 24 hours. and how many layers of wax that's personal choice. usually with 3 layers of wax it's very good already, but if you put 5 to 6 layers of wax it just looks much better. and since as you drive and wash the car it wears out the wax anyway, it's a good idea to wax it often. i wash my car every week, and wax is using z2 / z5 once a week or once every two weeks, so you can imagine. you can use z2 and z5 in between, it doesn't matter at all.

for those new guys with zaino, this is what you should do. wash your car using kitchen detergent. they are strong and you will wash away all the old wax. then use clay bar with soap solution to clay away all the old dust, stains, and remaining wax. wash the car away and dry it completely. put on a layer of z1, and WITHOUT wiping it off, put on z2 / z3 (depends on whether you have clear coat or not). you can use z5 too if you have swirl marks around. after that, you just continue to wash and wax the car, and your car will keep the shine forever.
cool nice write up!!

now after you wax it... you wipe the wax off ? then put the Z5?? and should you use a buffer?? oh and does my car have clear coat??? how do i know?
Old 07-15-02, 03:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by CamRen

cool nice write up!!

now after you wax it... you wipe the wax off ? then put the Z5?? and should you use a buffer?? oh and does my car have clear coat??? how do i know?
oh, you can think it this way. both z2 / z3 and z5, they are the same stuff -- wax. however, z2 is more shiny BUT it doesn't help to remove swirls, whereas z5 is not as shiny but it helps to remove swirls.

so you will NOT apply z2 / z3 and z5 together.... so you put on a layer of z2/z3, then buff off, see a shiny car. a week later, you wash and wanna wax again. you see some swirls, so you choose to put on z5 instead, so on so on. clear?

and for me, since i don't have outlet in the garage i cant' use any buffers. so i just use a normal towel size white cotton towel to buf the hazed wax off. trust me, if you put on only a thin layer, which is all you need, you can take off all the stuff in no time. they are REALLY easy to come off. when you buf them they immediatley become very fine powder and will be wiped off easy. you can use buffer too of course for better results. i haven't tried it yet though

i don't know if your car has clear coat though. but there is a method to check.. you can read zaino's instructions. basically you apply some sort of polish stuff on the car, rub it, and see if the stuff that got rubbed off. if that stuff has the same color as your car, your car does not have clear coat. otherwise it has.
Old 07-15-02, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

btw, can someone tell me how zaino and wax has anything to do with lexus electronics?!

should it go to maintainence forum instead?
Old 07-15-02, 06:40 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearcoat

Cam - Before Mike Kilty sold the site to Ethan he did some research & was told that only the black & burgundy ( red? ) finishes were NOT clearcoated. I can attest to the black being a non-clear because I did some light wet-sanding on my factory skirts before I installed my L-Sportline pieces & there was no milky residue on the sandpaper that would be there if it was cleared ( the residue is actually the clear coat being sanded off ). As far as Z-2 or Z-3 versus Z-5 in terms of gloss, there truly DOES seem to be a small difference with the edge going to the Z-2/3. I did half my hood with 2 coats of Z-5 & the other half with a single coat of Z-5 followed by a top coat of Z-3 & had both my non-gearhead wife & son tell me that the Z-3 side was shinier ( they didn't know that one side was treated differently. For myself, I don't notice a big difference once I have a total of 3 coats on there ( usually a single Z-5 followed by 2 coats of Z-3 ). I haven't needed the ZFX as of yet because it's summer & that means 90+ degree weather here in Louisiana ( doesn't take long for the regular application method to haze up & dry!! ).
Johnny - U can come do my black GS if U will just get it HALF as shiny as yours!!!!
Rom - I've tried to move this to the Maintenance Forum but I guess Ethan took my super powers away ( kinda like Kryptonite, I guess )!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 07-15-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-15-02, 07:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah no wonder. that's cool great info Mean Gene. i never thought about using the hood to test out the difference, great idea. instead i used the whole car. after z2/z3 both me and my gf think it's shinier (i didn't tell her if i used z2 or z5).
Old 07-15-02, 07:54 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mean Gene,

I have the Cinnabar color. My paint is clearcoated. I think all stock Cinnabar came clearcoated.

Just FYI.
Old 07-15-02, 09:11 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

I'll never let anything but Zaino on my cars again; not only does it look better but protects and lasts longer than anything else I've seen.

Read the Zaino site thoroughly and it should explain everything pretty well; it takes some time to get started with the detergent wash, claying, another wash, etc. but it's well worth it. I've probably got over 10 coats of Z5 and Z2 on my car right now; the Gloss Enhancer does work too, definitely recommended.

Just a testimonial, a while back a friend looked at my 92 ES with factory paint and said "Is there a flaw in that finish?" almost amazed at how good it looked. Not bad for 10 year old paint.
Old 07-15-02, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very true. i am sure if you constantly use zaino on the car, the pain will last forever. everyone who has seen my car is always like wow.....

and it's very good protection too. it VERY water repellant, and i believe it has UV protection?

i believe i have over 30 coats on my acura and 2 coats on my gs4, both are amazing
Old 07-15-02, 09:34 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Zaino Brothers Car Polish

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Guys, I tried this stuff after reading a thread on here where there was nothing but praise. I took a couple of days and I am VERY, VERY impressed. The first time out is a mother, but upkeep afterwards is easy. My pearl glows now, it is absolutely amazing.

Todd
Todd, since I also have the Pearl white 1st gen GS, maybe you can tell me exactly which products you used and how many coats...etc? I think I need to give this a try.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-02, 09:49 PM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

Default Detailers forum

Hi all!

Seems you guys need to take a look here: Autopia. Lots of useful information here.
Old 07-16-02, 01:41 AM
stevie
Driver

You took first class in the European section with a Lexus? Who was the judge, Deputy Dog?-

Stevie
Old 07-16-02, 03:25 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Z-2 versus Z-3

Gang - According to Sal Zaino, U won't go wrong by using Z-2 on a non-clearcoated finish OR Z-3 on clearcoated paint. The only difference between the two is that he has some extra additives in the Z-3 that help nourish the noncleared paint. The optics are tthe same.
Old 07-16-02, 06:26 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by stevie
You took first class in the European section with a Lexus? Who was the judge, Deputy Dog?-

Stevie
IT happens everytime out...if there is no luxury or Lexus class, they put me in Euro. Even Deputy Dog could tell that the Lex smokes EVERY MB, BMW, Audi it has ever been up against.

kts-GS3...get the ZFX, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7 and follow the instructions on the internet. You also can use the clay bar, I had another one (Meguiars), so I didn't buy the Zaino bar. I will for next time.

My G/F now has a huge car cleaning kit for her Jeep. I don't need the rest of that stuff anymore!

Todd
Old 07-16-02, 06:17 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

kts-GS3...get the ZFX, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7 and follow the instructions on the internet. You also can use the clay bar, I had another one (Meguiars), so I didn't buy the Zaino bar. I will for next time.

Todd
Cool, thanks!

Quick Reply: Zaino Brothers Car Polish