Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

how do i remove water spot on black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 02:27 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i remove water spot on black paint?

So I got water spot from the sprinkler like 3-4 days ago and I wasn't rush to clean off. I just left them there for the last 3-4 days. I thought I quick wipe would clean them all off.

This morning I did a car wash and then use a micro fiber towel to clean off the water spots from 3-4 days ago. Now They obvious spots were off but it still showing the subtle spots. My car is black and it's showing very obvious when looking close. I can't get them off no matter how hard I rub when dry and wet soft water micro fiber cloth.

Any advise would help a lot and I appreciate it.

My friend said that a body shop and buff it off but I searched and sometime it may need a wet sand to take off the clear coat. These spots on my car are like serious cuz I can't get them off no matter how hard I rub.
Old 08-14-10, 02:38 PM
RDAVILA702
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I use to take out the swirls in my paint. I'd assume it would be safe to use to remove the water spots aswell.

http://autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-...l-remover.html

It's a lot of labor on your end. But for the price of the kit you could pay someone to do it for you. But buying the kit lets you keep your paint looking swirl free...I know how important that is with a black car ; )
Old 08-14-10, 07:30 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got a picture of it? It'll make it easier to give you advice. I recently buffed a members black car not too long ago that was peppered in water marks. It didn't require sanding at all in my case
Old 08-14-10, 07:54 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be surprised if you need to sand -- I grew up in FL, and the water there is as hard as concrete. You learned VERY quickly not to park near sprinklers that were drawing from a well, that's for sure.

Have you tried a vinegar/water spray? Often that's enough to eliminate water spots. If not, like eyezack said, buffing a car is usually enough to remove the spotting.
Old 08-14-10, 09:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Meguiars Ultimate detailer along with a microfiber. Works perfectly.
Old 08-14-10, 10:08 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i just mist spray some Turtle Wax Quik Detailer and wipe with a microfiber, and once i start, i typically just do the entire car. lol! water marks shouldnt require any sanding, especially if it was just there for 3-4 days.
Old 08-14-10, 11:37 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx everyone for the comment. I'll try vinegar tomorrow. So just spray vinegar lightly on it and wipe it off with soft water then wax it up? or should i mix the vinegar with water? If this don't work then I'd just bring it to body for a buff.
Old 08-14-10, 11:51 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

1 part vinegar 2 parts water.
Old 08-24-10, 06:39 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just let it slowly come off after a few washes.
I had the same problem on a new GS350.
Drove me nuts, but I realized that I would damage the paint if I tried too hard to rub it off with any polish/cleaner.
Old 08-24-10, 08:26 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've tried many wash products, but this stuff is the best for removing spots:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+M6201

I'm not sure if it's sold in stores, but it's available oline. If the spots are very stubborn, you may have to clay the areas affected.
Old 08-24-10, 10:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by khoab88
thx everyone for the comment. I'll try vinegar tomorrow. So just spray vinegar lightly on it and wipe it off with soft water then wax it up? or should i mix the vinegar with water? If this don't work then I'd just bring it to body for a buff.
You can try vinegar/water. Just mix vinegar and water in a sprayer(try 50/50 and see what happens) and spray on the spots and then wipe off. You can also try water diluted rubbing alcohol and do the same thing. Using distilled water is better then tap water. If that does not remove them or make them much less noticeable you can try a higher concentration of vinegar or you will need to clay and polish. You should only need a mild polish to get the water spots out if you are using a polisher like a PC.

For the future if you don't want to deal with stubborn water spots make sure you have a few coats of a good sealant/wax on your car. Water spots won't adhere well to a finish with wax/sealant on it and are much easier to remove. I would highly recommend Collinite 476S, Klass AIO, Zaino as all of them last a very long time and provide very good protection.

Also remember to thoroughly wash(preferably with dawn or something stronger then a regular car wash) the car after you apply vinegar or polish it as they both will strip the wax/sealant on the car and most sealants/waxes will not adhere properly if their is vinegar or polish residue/oils on the cars surface.
Old 08-24-10, 10:52 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy some TFP(Total Finish Protection) sealant, need to order online though. Great stuff, water marks come off real easy. I use this to wax my cars every few months and I highly recommend it. Water mark that was on for few weeks came off by scrubbing for a minute or two.
Old 08-24-10, 10:46 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by KA8
Buy some TFP(Total Finish Protection) sealant, need to order online though. Great stuff, water marks come off real easy. I use this to wax my cars every few months and I highly recommend it. Water mark that was on for few weeks came off by scrubbing for a minute or two.
I highly doubt this will make any difference. I have probably used more waxes and sealants than anyone else on this board and all act the same under organic compounds. You might have longer durability but thats about it in terms of protection. I'm waiting for nano tech to enter the market here
Old 08-25-10, 06:14 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Very likely mineral deposits. After they have dried they are difficult to remove. What I find that works well is to soak some cotton towels in white vinegar and let them sit on the spots for a few minutes keeping them wet with added vinegar. This should re-dissolve any minerals and take them off.

Be aware that this will compromise any wax or sealant on the paint so you will need to redo that.

You could also try clay and/or a polish but that would entail a lot more work. A cleaner wax would also probably work and as you will need to rewax anyway, it is another option.

Lastly, depending on the contents of that water, you could have paint etching. That would need a polish to remove.

Good idea to carry a bottle of Quik Detailer and a few microfiber towels in your vehicle for just these events.
Old 08-30-10, 07:45 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wash ur car and use clay or a cleaner..then wax it