Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 06:55 PM
RKElks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!

OK, I know most of you will "cringe" and call me an idiot when you read my story and see my pics... and probably rightfully so

I purchased custom (for AWD) 19" burning black WORK KF-VS over the winter and did a mid-spring install; absolutely LOVED the wheels. Everything was going great - just admiring them and wiping with a diaper... However, after getting a paint-sealant detail done at Akron-Canton Lexus (bought the 3-year package) I noticed a few days later this horrific film-look on the lips where water had drained off/out of the car/wheel and sat at the bottom of the lip. After looking closely I noticed the burning-black spokes looks like finish was almost melting... weirdest thing I've ever seen!

After doing a lot of cleaning, research, cleaning then crying I finally have come to the conclusion that I have completely ruined the wheels. So much for resale!!

Of course I passively mentioned this to the dealership to get their thoughts and, as you probably guessed, they said there is no way that could've been caused by them... not that they should've known about the wheels having a clear coat anyway. Obviously my fault IMO.

If there are any detailing or wheel pros that happen to run across this post and see the pics... please let me know if I have any hope. I know the chrome lips can probably be sanded and re-"cleared" but I'm worried that the melting look of the spokes are hopeless. (check out my photo album to see what they're supposed to look like - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-calipers.html)
Attached Thumbnails Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!-dsc05370.jpg   Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!-dsc05373.jpg   Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!-dsc05375.jpg   Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!-dsc05438.jpg   Ruined Brand New WORK KF-VS -- HELP!!-dsc05439.jpg  

Old 08-07-10, 12:46 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

um if that happened AFTER your detail. then what do u think? their wheel cleaner ate through your wheel. you better go after them and not let them give u the "oh we didnt do that" excuse. you can clearly see the drip from them leaving it on the rim to break down.

why the hell are "detailers" doing this ish now? i mean if ur going to do a car proper, do it correct. especially if u know the person has aftermarket wheels.

i have a local guy here that came to me for advice cause the car wash place did the same thing and is trying to brush him off.
Old 08-07-10, 06:06 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do not take your car to a lexus dealership to get detailed. Thats just as bad as taking it to a car wash that has a deatail center. All those places higher "cheap labor" (you know what I mean). They dont fully understand what they are doing and how the products actually work. Any smart detailer would have known better. I have never used any wheel cleaner on any aftermarket wheels ive owned. All the crap comes off with soap and water. You just needed a coat of wax on those wheels and you'd be set.
Old 08-07-10, 07:44 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm cringing because this is one of my all-time favorite wheels.
I have noticed a change in Lexus customer service the last few years. When I started with Lexus, if they screwed up a wheel or anything, they would take care of it pronto. Your continued business was more important than a few labor hour and their wholesale costs to make it right.
Now they act as if they are penny-penching poor. They refuse to fix things THEY cause. That just pisses me off.
Dude, don't be passive about this. Go in there yelling and screaming. Taking a chance on losing the customers that witness your tirade is the only way to make them listen.
It's very sad we have to behave this way but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 08-07-10, 06:11 PM
RKElks
Rookie

Originally Posted by flektone
you do not take your car to a lexus dealership to get detailed.
Acknowledged... now, but too late. I would've never guessed this from Lexus but guess I had to learn the hard way.

Originally Posted by flektone
You just needed a coat of wax on those wheels and you'd be set.
Tried that; no dice. I've even tried special wax that is "safe for clear coats" and can't find anything that'll even begin to remove the corrosion nor clean up the "melted" look on the spokes. It's as if I'm rubbing glass and the dirt is underneath the glass... I'm assuming this effect is the clear coat.

Thanks for the replies and motivation... I think I will try to be a bit more aggressive to the dealership - obviously can't hurt. However, please let me know if anyone else has other tips on what to do to fix or (as last resort) how to remove the clear coat, remove the stains and then re-clear coat. I've watched youtube's on this being done, but never to a wheel this nice. Just crap that's been sitting on blocks in someone front yard for a few years.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-07-10, 06:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea man their brand new! dont let them do that. plus they should have connections with wheel repair places so they can fix the lips easy.
Old 08-08-10, 12:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

absolute worst case scenario these wheels are not a big deal. it will cost you some monies but any competent wheel repair place (or hell, a good paint shop) can disassemble and refinish the wheels to a new or better condition. there's no structural damage.

the question that remains, however, is who pays for this.
Old 08-08-10, 05:34 AM
RKElks
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
absolute worst case scenario these wheels are not a big deal. it will cost you some monies but any competent wheel repair place (or hell, a good paint shop) can disassemble and refinish the wheels to a new or better condition. there's no structural damage.
True... I'm not always a glass-is-half-full guy, so thanks for the encouragement!
Old 08-08-10, 10:20 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using the internet has worked for me on a mishap, you can browse my original post. I did like you and complaint on the forum and called Lexus Canada to explain that i had to expose the sad story in naming that specific dealership, Lexus Canada took the thread and confronted the dealership, i got my money back at the end.

Losing customers in a Lexus forum is bad for the company image, so the hearquarter took action. Yelling at the dealership will not solved anything IMO, it is like adding fuel to the fire, hit them where it hurts : reputation.
Old 08-10-10, 09:53 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RKElks
Acknowledged... now, but too late. I would've never guessed this from Lexus but guess I had to learn the hard way.

Tried that; no dice. I've even tried special wax that is "safe for clear coats" and can't find anything that'll even begin to remove the corrosion nor clean up the "melted" look on the spokes. It's as if I'm rubbing glass and the dirt is underneath the glass... I'm assuming this effect is the clear coat.

Thanks for the replies and motivation... I think I will try to be a bit more aggressive to the dealership - obviously can't hurt. However, please let me know if anyone else has other tips on what to do to fix or (as last resort) how to remove the clear coat, remove the stains and then re-clear coat. I've watched youtube's on this being done, but never to a wheel this nice. Just crap that's been sitting on blocks in someone front yard for a few years.

Thanks for the responses!
I meant thats all you needed in the first place was a wax on the wheels. you dont need anything more then that. And you clean them with soap and water only. None of that wheel cleaner crap.

You can pay to have them refinished or do it yourself. Its alot of work so I hope you dont have a gf, lol. You need to strip the clear coat. Then id say wet sand that junk off. Then polish up to a shine, then clear coat again.
Old 08-10-10, 10:02 AM
GEMINIDTM
Driver School Candidate

if all else fails you should try an aluminum safe tarnish remover/cleaner it should remove oxidation and staining.

good luck
Old 08-10-10, 11:07 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried any kind of metal polish like Mother's maybe?

EDIT: You need to be careful with some of these dealership carwashs as they use a mild acid to clean wheels.

Last edited by Infamous 1; 08-11-10 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-11-10, 01:33 AM
speeds27
Rookie

I've used Blue Magic metal polished with good results. You should be able to get the lips back to their original shine, but as far as the center piece, that's another story. It looks like the chemicals they used were too harsh and ate away at it.

A future note for wheel owners is, put a layer of wax on your wheels every 3 months or so, and all you will need is water and soap to get everything off. You'll never need any type of wheel cleaner.
Old 08-11-10, 03:46 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speeds27
I've used Blue Magic metal polished with good results. You should be able to get the lips back to their original shine, but as far as the center piece, that's another story. It looks like the chemicals they used were too harsh and ate away at it.

A future note for wheel owners is, put a layer of wax on your wheels every 3 months or so, and all you will need is water and soap to get everything off. You'll never need any type of wheel cleaner.
what kind of wax do you use?
Old 08-12-10, 05:18 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speeds27

lips have a clear coat also