Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What to use to clean tire sidewall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 05:05 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to clean tire sidewall?

My Hankook V12 seems to turn brown in color on the tire sidewall, I only use soap and water to clean them. How can I make them nice and black again?
Old 08-01-10, 06:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm satisfied with the tire wet foam from Black Magic. I accidentally drove through some mud recently and was not easy to remove from my tires after it dried up. It did a good job and left a shine on my tires. BTW what tire dressing do you use on your tires? I can't remember the last time my tires were brown. I use Meguiars Endurance high gloss tire dressing. It's in the clear bottle and the liquid is purple.
Old 08-02-10, 06:17 AM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by pchan0
My Hankook V12 seems to turn brown in color on the tire sidewall, I only use soap and water to clean them. How can I make them nice and black again?
Have you been using any kind of tire shine?
Old 08-02-10, 06:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Tire manufacturers imbed a waxlike substance into the rubber of the tires that is designed to migrate to the surface over the life of the tire to protect the tire from rot. As you drive the tire flexes and moves this substance to the surface where it reacts with the ozone in the air protecting the tire. Some tires exhibit much more of this browning effect than others but it can easily be removed with APC and a brush. Removing the brown, spent protectant does not shorten the life of the tire.

Once clean, you can apply a tire dressing which will slow down the effect (called blooming, BTW) but the process will repeat itself and the sidewall will turn brown again as the dressing wears off.

Using a water based dressing seems to make the subsequent clean-up easier as there is no greasy residue left to scrub off.
Old 08-02-10, 10:00 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DetailMan
Have you been using any kind of tire shine?
No, I have not been using any tire shine.
Old 08-02-10, 10:01 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Tire manufacturers imbed a waxlike substance into the rubber of the tires that is designed to migrate to the surface over the life of the tire to protect the tire from rot. As you drive the tire flexes and moves this substance to the surface where it reacts with the ozone in the air protecting the tire. Some tires exhibit much more of this browning effect than others but it can easily be removed with APC and a brush. Removing the brown, spent protectant does not shorten the life of the tire.

Once clean, you can apply a tire dressing which will slow down the effect (called blooming, BTW) but the process will repeat itself and the sidewall will turn brown again as the dressing wears off.

Using a water based dressing seems to make the subsequent clean-up easier as there is no greasy residue left to scrub off.
Jim, thanks for that. What is APC by the way?
Old 08-02-10, 12:38 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pchan0
Jim, thanks for that. What is APC by the way?
APC = All Purpose Cleaner.

The product I use is this one from Meguiar's Detailer Line. This product is a concentrate that gets diluted with water. I mix up a 1:10 solution for most cleaning and a 1:4 for heavily soiled items. I like to add APC to one of the tanks in my pressure washer for tires and fender wells. You can just as easily use a trigger spray bottle and spray it on and brush it with a tire brush and rinse.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-02-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 01:54 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

To clean your tires, use a cleaner formulated for tires. car wash shampoos are too gentle to penetrate into the tire’s pores and lift out imbedded grime. Products like Amazing Roll Off, Optimum Power Clean and Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner are excellent as they deep-clean without bleach. Bleaches are used in many tire cleaners to whiten whitewalls but they turn tires a dull gray and can stain alloy wheels. Water based dressing's help in not turning your tires brown so the ones I recommend are 303 Aerospace Protectant, 1Z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant, Optimum Tire Shine, Lexol Vinylex and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing.

Last edited by Angelo; 08-07-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 07:59 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Angelo above about cleaning the tires with a non bleach type tire cleaner such as Optimum Power Clean which gets great reviews and wont break the bank.

Along with that youre going to want to dress the tire to give it that DEEP black look. I've heard excellent reviews on Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black but I would lean towards a gel dressing such as Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel as there will be no over spray and it will leave a deep penetrating dark black shine.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-10, 12:33 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by danthedj
...but I would lean towards a gel dressing such as Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel as there will be no over spray and it will leave a deep penetrating dark black shine.
I have had excellent results with the Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel.
Old 09-01-10, 06:51 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

here are a couple of suggestions.

Adam's APC
P21S Total Autowash
Optimum Power Clean
Old 09-01-10, 10:32 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danthedj
Along with that youre going to want to dress the tire to give it that DEEP black look. I've heard excellent reviews on Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black
Really? I thought this was used mainly for spraying areas such as wheel wells. That's what I use it for
Old 09-01-10, 11:13 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, I never use tire gloss on any of my vehicles, it's like grease, attracts more dirt and dust and slings on to the paint behind the wheels. Your tires turn brown from the caked on brake dust that sticks to them, especially if you use greasy tire glosses.

Also, Nothing seeps out of the tire to protect them. Ther is no "time release capsule "hidden in your tire.

Regular washing and brushing will keep your tires clean. You guys and these chemicals, the money you waste using these harsh chemicals is overkill. If you keep up regular maintenance and cleaning, 95% of the time you don't need them.

BTW, I have Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's on my 2010 MINI Cooper S, have never used tire grease and they are as black as the day I got them...12,500 miles. They seem to be reacting to the ozone just fine!!

Last edited by slimjimtel; 09-01-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 12:09 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Personally, I never use tire gloss on any of my vehicles, it's like grease, attracts more dirt and dust and slings on to the paint behind the wheels. Your tires turn brown from the caked on brake dust that sticks to them, especially if you use greasy tire glosses.
That'll happen when you use cheap low quality products.