Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing Nail Polish Markings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 08:12 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Nail Polish Markings

I have a 2010 RX350 and I'm noticing a lot of spots where my nail polish has rubbed off onto the interior of my car as well as around the door handle on the outside of the car.

I guess when I grab the door handle and my nails are leaning against the car's paint, it is slightly rubbing off onto the paint. I tried wiping it off and it's still faintly there. I also noticed hairline scratches in the paint in the indented area behind the door handle. My nails aren't even that long, so I'm surprised this is happening.

Also, I noticed my nail polish markings on the light gray plastic around the button on the ceiling to turn on the interior lights and on the black trim around the window along the doors trim on the inside.

What can I use to remove it?
Old 07-28-10, 07:54 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Im assuming you dont have any detailing supplies and dont want to spend a lot of money?

Go to Advance Auto or something similar and get some Meguiars Scratch- X for the paint behind the door handle. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G10307

They should also have some kind of Meguiars interior cleaner. Just get whatever they have available, it should work fine.

Id also get a simple 5 pack of microfiber towels to use with the two products. Apply a little scratch-x to the microfiber towel and rub behind the door handle, might need to do this a couple times. Spray the interior cleaner onto the microfiber towel and wipe the interior surfaces.

The towels probably wont be high quality, so dont go using them on the whole car, just the areas behind the door handles.
Old 07-29-10, 08:53 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Ummm, why assume I don't have any detailing supplies and don't want to spend a lot of money? I happen to be a cleaning fanatic with my new car and I've already invested more than $200 in supplies in just the first few months I've had the car. I just wasn't prepared for such a "problem" and just have the basics to keep the car clean and polished.

I already have Meguiars cleaner for the interior and it did not work. I will get the Scratch-X.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by ChitChat; 07-29-10 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 12:55 PM
LexusJimD
Driver School Candidate

A dedicated leather cleaner may also be worth a try if a general purpose interior cleaner does not work.

If it's more of a scuff/transfer, you might be sure to try a cotton terry towel and gently work it with a cleaner.
Old 07-29-10, 04:53 PM
cmichael
Driver

If you don't mind spending some money, your Lexus dealer can istall clear plastic peices that go behind the door handles to protect the paint from fingernail scratches (or polish transfer in your case). I don't know how much they charge as they were already on my RX350 when I purchased it.