Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keeping IVORY interior *mint*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 02:32 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keeping IVORY interior *mint*

HEY Detailing pro's!

So we traded in our RX- and got an 2010 SFP/on IVORY interior. It looks great! But I can already tell 3 days in that it's gonna be alot of upkeep to keep it looking nice and new-especially the seats and stuff. Would you guy's be able to link me to a really good leather cleaner/conditioner that I'll be able to use easily every time I was the car? THANKS!

And also any interior cleaner that is suitable for cleaning the dash-all parts of the interior pieces. I don't wanna go and start making the dash look all shiny-not a look for the RX.

Thanks alot guy's! Really really appreciate it!

-Sam-
Old 07-14-10, 05:32 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Best cleaner/conditioner I've used is the Leather Masters line sold by Phil @ Detailers Domain. Very matte finish
Old 07-14-10, 07:30 PM
cmichael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Eyezack. I too have the ivory colored leather and the Leather Masters Cleaner, Conditioner and Protectant are great.
Old 07-14-10, 08:30 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmichael
I agree with Eyezack. I too have the ivory colored leather and the Leather Masters Cleaner, Conditioner and Protectant are great.
Can someone link me to the stuff? I'm lazy
Old 07-14-10, 10:29 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

http://www.detailersdomain.com/leath...nandvital.aspx

Thats the one I purchased last year. Haven't used more than 2oz so far
Old 07-15-10, 01:29 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^what about compared to leatherique?
Old 07-15-10, 06:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Lighter colored leathers are especially prone to show stains and color transfers from jeans or belts. It is really important to use a "protectant" on these leathers to keep these stains from penetrating the urethane coating. Conditioners do not offer this protection. There are only a few manufacturers offering protection products as they are more costly to make. I've used Leather Masters Protection Cream for around 20 years and it works.

Think of it like this... A fluorocarbon based protection product like LMPC is like a paint sealant that you would use on your paint while conditioners are like an oily glaze that makes your paint look good but offers little or no protection.

If your goal is to keep your leather looking pristine for years use a water based fluorocarbon protection product and forget about the conditioners.

Conditioners, as a group are oily, waxy or slippery. They leave behind a film that while initially may make the surface feel smooth, actually cause your leather attract and hold dirt. Dirt is the enemy of leather as it causes abrasion and as you slide in and out, will wear your leather and make it shiny in those areas. Conditioners also offer no guard against dye transfer and may exacerbate this problem.

Best thing you can do for your leather is to keep it clean and protected. Leather Masters makes a decent cleaner, Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner, but I find Woolite and water (1:10) works equally well.

If you are concerned about cracking, know that water is the best conditioner you can use. Regular cleaning will hydrate the leather, keeping it supple.

I clean my leather and protect it every other month or at least quarterly. I maintain the leather with a weekly wipe down with a microfiber dampened with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. BTW, Meg's QID does contain UVA and UVB screeners.
Old 07-15-10, 07:59 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Get some extra mats for the floor (I just bought mine at target or walmart) as it is a magnet for dirt and snow in the winter time.

Beautiful color, a little tough to keep clean but not awful as long as you are careful.
Old 07-15-10, 01:31 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Remember that proper cleaning is the key in keeping it looking new. We do carry Leatherique products that will up keep up those seats for you and also the Optimum Power Clean and Optimum Leather Protectant and the Blackfire Interior cleaner & the Blackfire High-UV Leather Conditioner are also others that will help in the up keep on your leather. Don't forget we have our DogDays Summer sale @ 15% off and Free Shipping on order's over $49 bucks for the lower 48.

http://www.properautocare.com/leatcarprod1.html
Old 07-15-10, 01:48 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^what about compared to leatherique?
Great for older cars, just not new ones. I find that taking hours to use Leatherique properly is too tedious. Also, I never could get rid of the sticky feeling from the Rejuvenator oil properly so I sold my 32oz bottles not too long ago. Prestine Clean works perfectly though. I just disliked Rejuvenator
Old 07-15-10, 11:14 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^good to know. thanks.
Old 07-18-10, 08:39 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the all the info! Whats my final verdict? Is it the woolite/water combo? Or anyone have a strict just cleaner-not oily conditioner that'll work and get minor stains/scuffs off.

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Great for older cars, just not new ones. I find that taking hours to use Leatherique properly is too tedious. Also, I never could get rid of the sticky feeling from the Rejuvenator oil properly so I sold my 32oz bottles not too long ago. Prestine Clean works perfectly though. I just disliked Rejuvenator
What's my best option bud? I know you know lots bout detailing!
Old 07-18-10, 11:37 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OEM lexus leather cleaner/conditioner works very well for me....
Old 07-20-10, 12:45 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

OP: Jim is right as well so you got some decisions to make bud (I use LM exclusively because I have other high quality leather products in the house lol)

Originally Posted by kickin8
OEM lexus leather cleaner/conditioner works very well for me....
Makes the leather slippery. Hated that feeling haha
Old 07-20-10, 06:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
...I use LM exclusively because I have other high quality leather products in the house lol...
As do I. I have several quality Italian leather pieces in the home. That's how I first became aware of Leather Masters products. The merchant offered the LM kit as part of the purchase. The deal also included free refills for life so I keep going back and they keep giving me new kits. I have some leather furniture that is over twenty years old and still looks and feels like new.

Quick Reply: Keeping IVORY interior *mint*