Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I need a recommendation for a car cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 10:06 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need a recommendation for a car cover

I'm moving to an apartment complex where I will have to leave my car in direct sunlight (it's always been garaged or car-ported) and next to possibly careless peeps. What is very good outside cover that will protect me from the weather and the occasional possible ding? Where is the best place to buy?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-10, 12:46 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i know about these is that even if you have one but your car is dirty. it's pretty much sandpaper cause the grit rubs the paint. so only put it onto a clean car.
Old 07-13-10, 06:35 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine drives a Z06 Corvette that sits outside in the corporate parking lot every day, and he opted for a Weathershield cover. VERY pricey (I think his was close to $380), but in his opinion, worth every penny.

I detail his car for him every two months, and do not notice any excessive swirling/abrasion caused by the cover. He's very careful putting it on/removing it, and the typical detail I do usually involves two coats of polish plus two coats of LSP.

Not sure, however, that the cover will protect you against door dings. He parks his car about 500 feet from anyone else, so that's not an issue. There used to be things on the market that were magnetic, and would guard against door dings. The problem is that doors on vehicles are different heights, so protecting it that way would be difficult.

My advice is to find an end space (if possible) -- that way you are only exposed on one side.

Here's the link to Weathershield's covers. Good stuff, but like I mentioned, not cheap.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Weathersh...Car_Cover.html
Old 07-13-10, 04:28 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
all i know about these is that even if you have one but your car is dirty. it's pretty much sandpaper cause the grit rubs the paint. so only put it onto a clean car.
Damn, i need one for the cats around my neighborhood but didnt know about this. I might have to just spray something around my house to keep them away...
Old 07-19-10, 11:02 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend the covercraft car cover with NOAH material. Excellent quality and durablity in all weather conditions. I have used an OEM car cover prior to my covercraft cover and they are quite thin in comparsion to the NOAH material. but the OEM does have excellent fitment over all other covers I have tired. The NOAH material is excellent for all weather conditions and the material seems to withstand the 90 degree heat well.
Old 07-19-10, 12:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

dont cover your car unless your car is super clean....it'll scratch!
Old 08-05-10, 06:47 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I just finished my move this week.
Old 08-05-10, 08:08 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone.
I just ordered the Covercraft NOAH model.