Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How Can I Remove Denim Stain on Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 08:00 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I Remove Denim Stain on Leather

I have a 4-month-old 2010 RX350 and have noticed a blue denim stain on the driver's seat (on the top and side from sliding off the seat). I have light grey leather. Tried using my Meguier's detailer spray, but it doesn't remove it. Any other ideas?
Old 06-03-10, 10:19 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I have a 4-month-old 2010 RX350 and have noticed a blue denim stain on the driver's seat (on the top and side from sliding off the seat). I have light grey leather. Tried using my Meguier's detailer spray, but it doesn't remove it. Any other ideas?
Rubbing alcohol is your friend Be careful though, some have reported colorfastness.

Don't pour it directly on the seats - I would use a microfiber towel.

I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives.

Last edited by sigteacher; 06-03-10 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 04:05 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd go very cautiously with alcohol as it can dry out the leather and cause early cracking and hardening. I'd try using Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner with a soft nylon brush to try to remove the stain. Generate a lot of foam and let it dwell for a couple minutes but not dry on the leather. This might require several passes but don't over-wet the leather.

To prevent this in the future use Leather Masters Protection Cream.
Old 06-03-10, 06:50 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Good recommendations from jfelbab. Use alcohol as a last resort.
Old 06-03-10, 08:40 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

dont know if this is safe for auto leather but i have used a "magic eraser" to remove ink stians off white leather furniture before. i dont know what those erasers are made of but they do a good job with stains on lots of surfaces.
Old 06-04-10, 06:21 AM
DetailMan
Driver

No, they are not safe for auto leather. I wouldn't use them on leather at all unless you plan on refinishing it.
Old 06-04-10, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It's not safe to use a Magic Eraser, IMHO.

A Magic Eraser is very abrasive and will thin and/or remove the painted (urethane) coating of your leather. It is important to understand that what you see when looking at your car's leather, is not leather but paint. The coated leather is really a urethane paint that provides uniform color and texture on top of the split hide underneath. It's just a thin, flexible layer of paint. If you can see a stain on your leather you really have a stain on, or in, this painted coating. The eraser will abrade off some or all of this finish leaving a rougher, more porous surface which will acquire dirt faster in the future and likely won't match the rest of the leather. If you have removed too much of the coating so that the split leather underneath is exposed you will need a professional refinish ($$) to make it look like new again. Even of you didn't expose the hide under the coating, you will have taken years of wear from it's life.

This urethane coating on your leather can be thought of much like the paint on your car. If you sand off too much of the clear coat in an attempt to remove a scratch, it will result in early CC failure.

The best approach is to try to remove the stain without causing long term damage. This may take multiple passes with a strong leather cleaner and it may also mean living with the remaining traces of the stain, just as some scratches in your car's paint can't be repaired if they are too deep.

First rule of detailing is to not make things worse.