Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Spilled coffee on cloth seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 05:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Spilled coffee on cloth seats

I'm not the expert on car detailing (exterior or interior), but my girlfriend was hoping the fine members of this forum could help.

Yesterday, she spilled some coffee on the passenger seat of her 2006 4Runner. It has cloth seats. We cleaned it up with some kind of generic cleaner we have on hand and it appears to have removed the stains as far as we can see, some spilled on to the carpet.

However, the coffee smell remains. She is wondering if there is a good cloth cleaner out there and additionally is there anything anyone uses to restore the original cloth smell. The latter question I'm really not sure of because it strikes of new car smell, but I'd figure I'd ask since I spend most of my car time on mechanical things.
Old 05-20-10, 06:32 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Try Febreze.
Old 05-20-10, 07:14 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every air freshener I have used from my store does not kill the source of strong smells like coffee. You need something to break down the organic particles causing the smell. This is going to be a little harder since the fabric may have absorbed some of it, thus it's slightly beneath the surface. I would recommend the Chemical Guys Sofast Odor Eater or if you think it's really bad get the Chemical Guys Extreme Offensive Odor Eliminator - Concentrated. These products are great at killing the sources of the smell and it leaves behind a pleasant smell afterward as well.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-20-10, 10:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

A good steam cleaning should do the trick, and doesn't cost very much to do since you can rent a carpet cleaner from many grocery stores. Steam will not only kill off the particles, but the removal by the vacuum system of the carpet cleaner will take them out. Unfortunately, the carpet smell may go with it. I would recommend she find a fragrance she enjoys and employ that for the truck.

If you're going to rent a unit, I'd get the cars ready and do all the mats/carpet in your rides. It's totally worth it, and doesn't take much time to complete.

Big Mack