Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Interior (dashboard, door panels etc?)

Old 04-16-10, 06:24 PM
integlspwr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cleaning Interior (dashboard, door panels etc?)

What products do you use to clean and wipe down your dashboard and door panels etc..

Was hoping to find them at walmart so i can swing by when I head home..

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-10, 08:25 PM
integlspwr
Pole Position

I dont think i can find 303 at walmart. Does 303 leave it shiny? I dont want my dashboard shiny thats why.
Old 04-16-10, 08:51 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use traditional armor all wipes for the dash and door panels once a year. You can do it more but for my liking thats all I need. Yes it may leave a slight gloss which alot of people dont like, but will wear off in time. It leaves a deep black look like your car just got out of the showroom. Maintain it by wiping your interior down with a damp cloth every 1 to 2 weeks and it will look brand new for the life of the car. Its as simple as that. Here's my VW jetta with 180,000 miles on it. Except for the creases in the leather the interior looks just as good as the day I bought it back in 02.

Old 04-17-10, 05:42 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Meguiars Professional #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner is exactly what you want. It cleans and leaves a factory matte finish. Top Notch. No shine (though you can get it to buff up some if that's your thing).

Old 04-17-10, 05:44 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

i use lucas spray and mist interior cleaner it leave a clean semi gloss and it really pick up dirt
Old 04-17-10, 06:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you want a good product for cleaning the interior and leaving behind UVA and UVB protection and you want to pick it up locally at WalMart or almost all automotive stores look for Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer. No gloss, so no glare, just a new look. No smell. No slippery or oily residue.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G13616
Old 04-17-10, 07:27 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Great stuff

I personally use Meguiars Natural Shine it also has all the UV protections and beads liquid( new formula) It darkens darks a bit which makes them look great without the glossy,oily residue.

On the leathery bits I use Meguairs Rich Leather Spray which is a 1 step cleaner and conditioner
Old 04-18-10, 04:55 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
Forum respondants have expressed a prference for 303 Protectant whenever any discussion has arisen regarding dashboard detailing.

Regards.
BINGO!

Originally Posted by RRocket
Meguiars Professional #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner is exactly what you want. It cleans and leaves a factory matte finish. Top Notch. No shine (though you can get it to buff up some if that's your thing).

This stuff is great too!

I would run FAR away from armor-all products. I just dont trust them. my preference. I know thousands of people use them, and for the average person they are mediocre, ok products. But for what they charge for them, plus a dollar or 2 more of shipping, you can get a product off the internet that works better, is better for your car, lasts longer and actually ends up costing you less over time.
Old 04-18-10, 07:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I did a test of several Megs vinyl protectants recently and took a couple photos of the results. The sheen was all pretty much fairly the same among the products but visually there was some darker and shinier products that were apparent.

First a good scrubbing with #39.

In this next shot had I applied the product to the black vinyl directly in front of the bottles and took the pic. I applied the products with a microfiber, let it dwell a couple minutes then buffed gently with another MF towel.

In the next two next two shots I tried to capture any subtle differences that might show up at different angles.

My test was done to see which product held up to the elements better and so it included Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax. While UQW not marketed as a vinyl protector, it's design allows application to vinyl and plastic where it offers excellent, long lasting protection and a very decent sheen. The look of UQW on exterior vinyl lasts weeks through several washings and rains whereas the other products tested washed off almost immediately.

For interior vinyl my preferred products in order of my preferences are:
1. Quik Interior Detailer (flat, no gloss added)
2. #40 (slight sheen)
3. Natural Shine. (slight sheen)

For Exterior vinyl I prefer:

1. UQW (slight sheen)
2. #40 (slight sheen)
Old 04-18-10, 02:22 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

So many type of materials use in interior's of vehicles these days, you should make sure your using the right product for the right job. For vinyl area's try using these recommended Vinyl Care Products:

1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner that removes grime buildup, scuff marks, tar, and nicotine thoroughly and effortlessly. Use 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner to clean all colored and clear automotive plastic fittings including armrests, door handles, shift *****, vinyl seats, pedals, dash, storage compartments, rocker panels, wheel wells, and polycanvas convertible tops. 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner leaves a dust-resistant matte finish. Water-based formula is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly. Follow-up with a treatment of 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium or 1Z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant. Leaves an anti-static, Matte finish.

1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner is a spray treatment for all interior components including the dash, vinyl seats, door handles, trim, navigation screens, audio equipment and clear plastic. Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner cleans and protects components from the sun and heat

The gentle formula is water-based, free of oils providing a flat, original showroom finish. The non-slip formula allows you to clean and protect the steering wheel without loss of grip and will not attract dust. 1Zeinszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner leaves a long-lasting matte finish and has a fresh citrus scent.

303 Protectant. 303 is a beautifying liquid sunscreen which will keep vinyl looking like new. 303 contains no petrochemicals, silicone oils or petroleum distillates. 303 is not a build-up product. 303 is not oily or greasy and does not attract dust. In fact, 303 treated vinyl repels dust, dirt and stains, stays cleaner longer and is much easier to clean when finally soiled. 303 is the most powerful UV screening treatment available for vinyl, leather, and rubber. Regular use of 303 can reduce UV caused slow-fade up to 100%.

Lexol Vinylex. Vinylex is a one-step cleaner and protectant. Vinylex is a water-based product with special emulsifiers and wetting agents that deep cleans and brings grime to the surface where it can be easily wiped away. Vinylex contains DH60, a strong sunscreen to protect against the harmful effects of ozone and ultraviolet radiation. Vinylex is not a build-up product but does contain a patented bi-modal silicone for gloss.

Application Tips:

In cold weather climates, applying a vinyl & rubber dressing to trunk/door weather stripping helps prevent doors and trunks from freezing shut.

Don't spray dressings directly on the dash where they can splatter on the windshield. Apply dressings to an applicator pad and then wipe the dash.

A light to medium application of Vinylex on bumpers helps to remove bugs & debris as well as grime and rubber stains.

Spray a light coating of 303 or Vinylex into undercoated wheel wells to keep them looking factory fresh.

To properly clean leather:

* Spray cleaner to a wet applicator pad and apply to one area at a time .
* Gently agitate the surface with a leather cleaning brush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather.
* Use a clean, damp sponge to rise the leather.
* Towel dry with a clean terry cloth towel.

In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils. (The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.) If these oils are not replaced, the leather will dry out, deteriorate and crack. Once every month or two, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. Leather conditioners with rich combination's of natural oils like BLACKFIRE High-UV Leather Conditioner are especially beneficial on neglected, abused or aged leathers that have developed "character lines".

* To properly condition leather:

Apply conditioner to a damp applicator pad and wipe all leather surfaces in the vehicle.

Allow 15 to 20 minutes for the oils to penetrate and give a final wipe down with a clean towel. Don't be alarmed if there is conditioner on the wipe towel. The leather will only absorb as much conditioner as it needs.

If you own a convertible with a leather interior, you should consider additional sunscreen protection. Leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and 303 Protectant. One month I'll use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. the following month, I'll mist and wipe the leather with 303 Protectant to add UV protection.

Coated leather.

Most of the leather being used in domestic automobiles today has a top coating. The leather can be either "Semi-Aniline", (The Leather is dyed and a thin coating is applied for protection) or "Pigmented" (This leather is typically less expensive showing more "scars" and "defects" but is coated with a thick layer of colored pigmentation). Many leather conditioners, if used on this "coated" leather, will not penetrate the coating to allow the conditioning oils to reach the leather. Products to consider for treating these leathers are listed below. If you're not sure if your car's leather is vinyl coated, check with your car dealer or the manufacturer.

* Blackfire High-UV Leather Conditioner
* Collinite Leather and Vinyl Treatment
* 1Z einszett Leather Care "Lederpflege"
* Leatherique Restoration Products
* Optimum Protectant Plus

Hope's this helps out in the interior maintenance area for you.

WWW.ProperAutoCare.Com
Old 04-22-10, 12:02 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Meguiar's or Mothers protectant spray
Old 04-22-10, 09:33 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I like Meguiar's or Mothers protectant spray

Be aware, Meguiar's smears and/or looks cloudy and Mother's doesn't.
Old 04-27-10, 10:12 AM
djrazr
Pole Position

I use all products from "PoorBoys"