Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to clean under the hood?

Old 04-11-10, 10:18 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean under the hood?

Hey so I was washing my car today (soon after it started raining...grrr...) and after I was done I popped open the hood. And ! It could definitely use some cleaning under there. Problem was, I had no idea how I should clean under the hood... Can I use a pressure washer? Do I just stick to towels and wiping?

What are your suggestions?

Oh and btw I have a 2ES, but that shouldn't make much of a difference.
Old 04-12-10, 12:05 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P21S Total Autowash, agitate with a Swissvax brush, then using normal hose water, rinse it off. Make sure to cover the alternator and your new intake Mike. Anything you don't want to get wet, cover it. Then you can dress with Aerospace 303 protectant

I'm speaking from experience of course hehe
Old 04-12-10, 03:41 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

To add to what Issac said, make sure your engine is either dead cold (preferably after sitting overnight) and turned off, or running and at Normal Operating Temperature, before you spray it with water. You run the risk of cracking/warping metal (IE engine blocks/heads) when spraying cold/cool water on a 200 degree+engine, unless the coolant is circulating. The preferred way to do it is with the engine off at a dead cold.
Old 04-12-10, 06:15 AM
mikeli689
Driver

Wow you know the answer to everything, don't you Isaac? I mind as well PM you with any question I ever have about my car haha.

And thanks for you response too OCDetailer!
Old 04-12-10, 07:56 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
P21S Total Autowash, agitate with a Swissvax brush, then using normal hose water, rinse it off. Make sure to cover the alternator and your new intake Mike. Anything you don't want to get wet, cover it. Then you can dress with Aerospace 303 protectant

I'm speaking from experience of course hehe
this is the EXACT process i use to the "T" lol
Old 04-12-10, 12:53 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Lol, you gotta compensate when there aren't many mods for a 2ES. I had the best looking paint of the entire group when we did meets afterall

Sure you are welcome to PM me
Old 04-12-10, 06:15 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

This should help you out:

Forward: Detailing your engine bay and keeping it clean not only makes working on your engine easier but it shows a sense of pride of ownership. Modern engines are fairly easy to clean and detail, but keep in mind that you will using liquids and water around electrical equipment. Modern cars are sealed very well from the factory, but you should protect equipment such as the ECU or the Alternator. If you don't know what these are or what they look like, then you shouldn't detail your engine.

Products Needed.

-A quality degreaser such as Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser or Meguiars Super Degreaser

-A couple of brushes (I use old paint brushes)

-Running water

-Towels

-Your favorite dressing such as Meguiars Natural Shine, Meguiars Hyperdressing, or 1Z's Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant

1) The engine can be warm or cool to the touch, although warmer temperatures will help break down grease and grime. However you do NOTwant to spray cool water on a hot engine!

2) Use aluminum foil and wrap it around sensitive electrical equipment such as alternator or the ECU. Do NOT use aluminum foil on the battery as you could bridge the terminals.

3) Where gloves and eye protection to protect against any caustic chemicals. You do NOT want engine degreaser ending up in your eye's!

4) Spray a liberal amount of engine degreaser on all areas that need to be cleaned and allow to dwell for 30 seconds.

5) Agitate the degreaser into a lather using a soft brush to help facilitate the removal of stubborn grease and grit.

6) Rinse throughly using flowing water. Avoid spraying water with pressure on to sensitive equipment, but rather work around them. Rinse all solution off the engine, fire wall, and inner fenders.

7) Dry the engine as much as possible. If you have a high speed electric leaf blower use it remove as much standing water as possible from all the various nooks and crannies. If you have a wet vac you can use this to such water out of tight areas. If you have neither use a towel to soak up as much as possible.

8) Close engine bay and start engine. Allow to run up to normal operating temperature for at least 5 minutes.

9) After engine dries, apply your favorite dressing to the hoses and plastics, and enjoy!

In pictures:

My mother's Hyundai was in desperate need of having its engine detailed. A perfect demo car in need of some love!

I sprayed the engine compartment down with a liberal coat of Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser. The degreaser immediately began to loosen the grease and grime.

Very dirty areas require agitation with a soft brush.

The underside of the hood was very dirty as well, and in need of a little cleaning.

After flushing the engine bay throughly with water, little areas of grime might remain. This is a perfect time, if you desire, to get out a q-tip and clean any spots up.

Remove as much standing water as possible, then close the engine and allow it to run up to operation temperature to facilitate drying. After it cools down, apply your favorite dressing and enjoy! I used 1Z Rubber-Vinyl Care 'Tienfienpfleger'

Old 04-12-10, 07:29 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Wow thanks for that Angelo! That write-up definitely helps a ton.
Old 04-12-10, 08:25 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a you-tube vid we did a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIanUYmyBgQ

Products used were:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...to-wash/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...tail%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...nish%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Care%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...C-vinyl/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ICRO%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...licator/Detail
Old 04-13-10, 12:04 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

so you only have to cover up the alternator, ecu and battery?
Old 04-13-10, 09:31 AM
mikeli689
Driver

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Yeah that's what it sounds like to me
Old 04-13-10, 09:35 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetfire
On newer vehicles, post 1990, there's not much need to cover anything. To stay on the safe side, cover ecu and alternator.