Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

tips on polishing wheels to Mirror finish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 12:53 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on polishing wheels to Mirror finish?

Hey guys, I've been working on these new wheels for a couple of days, and have tried some different angles on trying to get a mirror finish.

First off, I'm trying to repolish the lips of the wheels. They are already polished but have gotten dull and a bit here and there scratched. So I wanted to repolish them to a mirror finish.

I've already tried these methods already:

1) Blue Magic metal polish w/ regular brush and MF towel - No good
2) Blue Magic MEtal polish w/ Fine- medium Metal Coarse sponge - No Good
3) My Meguiars G110 w/ Poorboys SSR 3, 2, with Orange pad, then use blue magic polish cream with a White pad - No Good

I mean its definetly alot shiner, but I want to get that MIRROR Finish on polish. It looks like oxidation or whatever has been on it because the polish is kinda of fading or "cloudy".

Any Ideas? Thanks !

chris
Old 02-24-10, 01:43 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used that weird Power Cone thing with Autosol metal polish on Ti exhausts and what not to great effect. Maybe try using the Power Cone with the Blue Magic?
Old 02-24-10, 07:11 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

I would have to see pictures to see exactly what issues that you are running into, but the combo that we use with great success is the P21s Polishing Soap followed up by P21s Finish Restorer.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...p-metal/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...r-metal/Detail

The polishing soap is a kind of chemical abrasive. It will eat away a lot of the contaminants and oxidation on the metal to give you a really bare and clean surface on the metal. It will have a semi polished look already after you are finished. It is SUPER easy to use. Simply wet the sponge, dab it on the surface of the polishing soap, and go to town like you are doing the dishes or something. Afterwards, wipe them down with a MF towel, then hit it with the finish restorer.

The finish restorer works like any other metal polish. Just put a pea sized amount on a MF towel and work it in. Because you have already hit the surface with the polishing soap, it isn't like you are working off layers of oxidation and other surface contaminants. It isn't super hard work like normal metal polishing.

I would try out this combo, we use it on everything from wheels to exhaust tips and I have yet to be anything but amazed at the results.
Old 02-24-10, 07:52 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys, thanks for the response, I began to sand down the rim with 600 grit, apparently lol, theres some kind of coating or polish coating? on the lip itself to make it look polished. I'll take pics tommorrow. I had to sand it down to get aluminum metal. Is this a coating they put on the lip?

Hmm, I'm thinking the lips are chrome......hehehe

Last edited by ItsChris; 02-24-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 09:55 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

isnt that the clearcoat?
Old 02-25-10, 12:03 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey Vincent, im not sure, maybe? I kinda of gave up on them today hahah, took me 1 hr just to sand it down to the metal and I only did 1/4 of the rim ! I think I'll just send it out to get repolished and stuff. People are right, takes ALOT of time to do this DIY.
Old 02-25-10, 07:15 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Definitely sounds like clearcoat. I would look at the soaps you are using to clean your car/wheels if you're getting cloudiness in it, because that will return once they are cleared again. No sense in spending the $$ on clear if they're going to have the same problem because the root cause hasn't changed. I know that some people have problems because dealers use car washes with harsh chemicals. I avoid letting dealers wash any of my cars, mostly because I don't want swirls, but also because it minimizes the number of people in and out of the car and lessens the opportunity for things to miraculously "disappear."

Big Mack
Old 02-25-10, 02:23 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

you could just pick up some aircraft coating remover and use it to strip off the clearcoat. then when it's all off, start polishing the bare metal. I was able to go from

to

with a total investment of a couple hours and around $30 for a mini-tub of mother's polish and can of aircraft stripper, both of which lasted me through all 4 wheels, and then some.
Old 02-25-10, 02:48 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GlisTech
I would have to see pictures to see exactly what issues that you are running into, but the combo that we use with great success is the P21s Polishing Soap followed up by P21s Finish Restorer.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...p-metal/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...r-metal/Detail

The polishing soap is a kind of chemical abrasive. It will eat away a lot of the contaminants and oxidation on the metal to give you a really bare and clean surface on the metal. It will have a semi polished look already after you are finished. It is SUPER easy to use. Simply wet the sponge, dab it on the surface of the polishing soap, and go to town like you are doing the dishes or something. Afterwards, wipe them down with a MF towel, then hit it with the finish restorer.

The finish restorer works like any other metal polish. Just put a pea sized amount on a MF towel and work it in. Because you have already hit the surface with the polishing soap, it isn't like you are working off layers of oxidation and other surface contaminants. It isn't super hard work like normal metal polishing.

I would try out this combo, we use it on everything from wheels to exhaust tips and I have yet to be anything but amazed at the results.
i have used this exact combo on chrome rims with great success. but i dont think this will work on clear coated wheels tho.
Old 02-27-10, 09:44 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hmm maybe ill try that, ill take pics once i get home and show you guys what im talking about, the problem is also, the Face of the wheel is chrome, so I gotta de chrome it somehow.
Old 02-27-10, 05:04 PM
mogen59
Driver

Where can you find the aircraft stripper? Sounds like something I need to try also.
Old 02-27-10, 11:32 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i got mine from a nearby kragen in the paint section. I know people who have used it to take off the clearcoat off the lip, polishing it afterwards.
The only problem is that it's relatively strong, so if you get it on the finish of the face, it could possibly eat through it as well. So, if your wheels are multi-piece, I would really recommend taking it apart and doing the lip alone. If that's too much work or your wheel is a one-piece, just take a few precautions (i.e. cover up parts you don't want to strip). It's nothing too difficult, just apply carefully (i used a $0.99 toothbrush to glop it on), wait 30 min for it to do its job, and scrape off with something (i used steel wool, but i've heard scotch brite sponges work well also)
Old 02-28-10, 07:25 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Hmm, thanks Arod, maybe I'll try that, my wheels are 3 pcs so I'll probably have to dissasemble them...unless i get lazy and just use the whole stripper all over the rim hahaha. The face of them are chrome, but eh, we will see.
Old 03-04-10, 03:42 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Hey guys, so heres an update. I used the Aircraft coating remover, and did not help one bit. I'm thinking of just giving up and sending it to a wheel place. Any other ideas?

Heres exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm think the lips are chrome.

This is after sanding down with 600 grit sandpaper, scrubing hard.

Old 03-04-10, 04:21 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Why would you scrub with 600 grit? Thats very strong....you can find 3000 grit you know...

Quick Reply: tips on polishing wheels to Mirror finish?