Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 12:19 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior paint?

This looked like the best place to post this, but my apologies in advance to the mods if it's not. Has anyone found a good source of vinyl paints or dyes for recoloring parts of the dash (specifically the radio) where the original color has worn away? Not talking about the black trim color, but the ivory, tan, etc. colors of the actual dash and other parts.

Thanks.

BurnishedGoldRX
Old 02-11-10, 04:40 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You can try looking on the net for companies that restore those items and call them and ask where they get their product from.
Old 02-13-10, 08:08 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

SEM has a pretty good selection of colors,thought they usually try to match most popular GM colors, but any autobody paint supply store can mix you up just about any interior color paint, even if you have no access to air compressor and spray gun, they sell rechargable aerosol spray cans, so you can pur the mixed color in it and do your touch up work.

Stefan
Old 02-14-10, 02:09 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DuPont also has a quality line of products for leather/ vinyl/ plastics.

I've used both SEM and DuPont products over the years for these materials and both work great.

Bought mine at a local auto paint / body shop supply store.
Old 02-14-10, 04:35 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use SEM for sure If you can't find it locally there are plenty of online suppliers
Old 02-14-10, 04:42 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

^ as I said, just about any auto body shop supply store will be able to mix interior color, be it, DuPont, ICI,Sikkens,SpiesHecker,BASF,Sherwin Williams,PPG,Matrix,Martin Senior,e.t.c.

most important,use appropriate cleaner like Leather-Prep or Plastic-Prep to ensure a good adhesion

Stefan
Old 02-14-10, 05:56 PM
potts
Driver School Candidate

ive had good luck with DuPont
Old 02-28-10, 06:33 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Thanks for all the info, guys. I have a couple of questions for everybody if you guys don't mind. I got SEM Plastic and Leather Prep (#38353) for the prep work and SEM Trim Black (#39143) for the black parts of the radio/dash. I need to touch up some buttons as well. Are the items that I have acceptable for what I need it for? Also, do you recommend a matte clear spray over the painted item for protection? If so, can you recommend what product? Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

BurnishedGoldRX
Old 03-01-10, 05:49 PM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
Thanks for all the info, guys. I have a couple of questions for everybody if you guys don't mind. I got SEM Plastic and Leather Prep (#38353) for the prep work and SEM Trim Black (#39143) for the black parts of the radio/dash. I need to touch up some buttons as well. Are the items that I have acceptable for what I need it for? Also, do you recommend a matte clear spray over the painted item for protection? If so, can you recommend what product? Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

BurnishedGoldRX
Those products should work well together, and I do suggest you add a clear sealer over the buttons etc. SEM also sells a gloss, satin or semi-gloss sealer for plastic/ vinyl/ leather, I have some of this myself in satin;

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semsaglcl.html

That should provide a nice finish and help keep the oils from your fingers from removing the color.

Take your time with the prep stuff and spray LIGHT coats of the color, allowing them to flash between coats.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-10, 05:55 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Those products should work well together, and I do suggest you add a clear sealer over the buttons etc. SEM also sells a gloss, satin or semi-gloss sealer for plastic/ vinyl/ leather, I have some of this myself in satin;

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semsaglcl.html

That should provide a nice finish and help keep the oils from your fingers from removing the color.

Take your time with the prep stuff and spray LIGHT coats of the color, allowing them to flash between coats.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info and advice. Do you have a suggestion as to which of the finishes would best match the gloss level of the stereo buttons on the average Lexus radio? I may err on the matte side since I assume I could always add some interior protectant to bring the shine up if I wanted to.

Thanks.

BurnishedGoldRX
Old 03-03-10, 07:07 PM
Guitarman

I'd agree with you, I prefer a satin/ matte finish for control buttons etc.