Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need to get a porter cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 11:25 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to get a porter cable

Hello guys,
This is going to be my first time purchasing a porter cable. Spring is around the corner and summer will be here shortly. Can anyone list some portable cables that are top notch as well as what products should I use to polish my car to remove scratches and swirls, leaving a shiny car behind?
Thank guys!
Old 02-05-10, 11:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm in the same boat as well.. I need to purchase a PC... I've been talking to Rob for glimmerglass and getting info from him.. I should have bought this years ago..
Old 02-05-10, 11:54 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porter Cable 7424 XP is a great tool for any detailer. It's totally safe and very easy to use regardless of your past experience. It helps thoroughly work in polishes, which is critical to restoring your vehicle's shine to like new! Here are three great deals on the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads

With all of these kits you can select any pad(s) you like by writing a comment in the comment field while checking out. We have all these products in stock and ready to ship. If you have any questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-05-10, 12:44 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love using my PC You will be amazed at the ease of using it and the results you get are fantastic.
Old 02-05-10, 05:31 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

You guys can't go wrong with any of our vendors here. I actually purchased mine from Greg 2 years ago and hes was the man to help me when I melted my backing plates and snapped the rotating shaft lol. All our vendors are good people
Old 02-05-10, 05:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great price on that basic kit
Old 02-05-10, 06:31 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

The Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher is simply a wonderful machine. It doesn't matter if you're a first time user or a skilled enthusiast, this machine will give you professional-looking results the very first time you use it.
The 7424XP Polisher is easy to use and safe for all fiberglass, metal, paint and clear coat finishes. It will not create swirls and can not harm or remove paint or clear coats.
It will allow you to apply a polish and liquid wax or sealant in a fraction of the time it would take by hand and create an unbelievable shine.

The Flex XC3401VRG is a true dual-action machine.
With the Flex XC3401VRG, the pads do have a forced circular motion, they rotate or "cut". Plus, as the pads rotate, they oscillate, or move, in a random pattern.
Hence the name, dual action. One action is the circular rotation and the second action is the random movement of the pad while it is rotating.
This random oscillation also has a exceptionally "long throw" of 8 mm. The forced circular pad rotation coupled with the long throw of the oscillations give the Flex considerably more cutting power.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher gives detailing enthusiasts more power, more control, and more comfort. It has never been easier for car owners to create a legendary showroom shine. The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher features a unique "cruise control" which prevents the machine from bogging, allowing the user to achieve better results, faster. Compared to previous generations of random orbital polishers, the Meguiar’s G110 V2 is way up on results and way down on time wasted.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a random orbital polisher that features a perfect 5/16th stroke. This physics of this powerful "stroke" cause the pad to rotate freely, creating a more perfect finish. Because the pad spins freely, and is not directly driven making this type of polisher extremely safe. And while enthusiast love this polisher for its safe power delivery, many professional detailers love it for its efficiency. It allows you to polish the paint to a high gloss, in less time, without fear of rotary buffer swirls!

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 is packaged in a beautiful stitched Meguiar’s bag equipped with a W68DA Softbuff 2.0 Flexible Soft Backing Plate, a bale handle, and a replacement set of maintenance brushes. The body is covered in synthetic soft-touch material that is a treat to hold and the housing is made of metal. Just holding the polisher lets you know it is built to a different standard. Turning it on and using on paint confirms the feel: The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a serious defect removing paint polisher, from a name you can trust in car care.

Check out these and other great products from ProperAutoCare. Call me and I'll see you get my outstanding personal service and pricing too.........
Old 02-05-10, 07:28 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

The only thing I don't like about the flex is the non-flexible backing plate. It was a pain doing an e46 BMW coupe with it since it was hard to control on some of the corners. My friend had me do the fenders by Rotary since he couldn't reach the middle of the fender since it was curved so much =/
Old 02-05-10, 09:06 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

I really have to recommend the Flex if you are looking for a random orbital. One of my favorite features of it in comparison to the Porter Cable is its shape. It has a trigger grip and setup a lot like my rotary, and the handle is really well placed as well.

It has more than enough power to do any correction necessary, and because it is still an orbital polisher, it is very safe to use and has a very limited learning curve.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...2C-dual/Detail

It is definitely true that the solid backing plate could be a potential drawback, but with the GP polishing pads that we use for the Flex, they compensate for its solid nature by having a lot of bend and flex in them to cover any curves and small areas.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...pads%2C/Detail

The pads are curved, making them easy to use on curves, and they have a plastic backing which help them to keep their shape as you shift pressure from the middle of the pad to the edges. Trust me, I polished a Noble M400 with the Flex a few weeks ago, and there are curves and edges aplenty on that thing and I had no issues.

It really is the ultimate polishing tool for the DIYer because it is powerful enough to have serious correcting ability when paired with the right pad and polish, yet still easy to use and gentle enough for minor correction and wax application.
Old 02-06-10, 05:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My choice is the G110 V2.
Old 02-06-10, 08:14 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we have tons of detailing vendors and they are all top notch i personally went with the Flex XC3401VRG for the simply reason that i have found myself in the past purchasing the "inferior" product and eventually upgrading anyway. there are some benefits the PC offers that the flex does not, but at the end of the day, the extra power the flex offered was the clincher and i love it.
Old 02-06-10, 04:05 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

The best product for a newbie to use is the Meguiar's G110 V2. Quiet, smooth and great handling. You can't go wrong here folks.
Old 02-06-10, 06:35 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
The Porter Cable 7424 XP is a great tool for any detailer. It's totally safe and very easy to use regardless of your past experience. It helps thoroughly work in polishes, which is critical to restoring your vehicle's shine to like new! Here are three great deals on the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads

With all of these kits you can select any pad(s) you like by writing a comment in the comment field while checking out. We have all these products in stock and ready to ship. If you have any questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image

that pc combo with the meguiars and hydro pads is a really good deal. get 5.5 inch pads instead of 6.5 inch though. these polishes are really good and used by a lot of pros. id suggest you get this one. oh youd also need to get a smaller backing plate though.
Old 02-06-10, 10:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
You guys can't go wrong with any of our vendors here. I actually purchased mine from Greg 2 years ago and hes was the man to help me when I melted my backing plates and snapped the rotating shaft lol. All our vendors are good people
damn isaac...what kind of cars are you detailing? How did you manage to snap a rotating shaft?
Old 02-07-10, 01:33 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

^^I made my own version of the Kevin Brown Method with Menzerna Powergloss before he even suggested the idea

Quick Reply: Need to get a porter cable