Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need to get a porter cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 12:38 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by varcity64
we have tons of detailing vendors and they are all top notch i personally went with the Flex XC3401VRG for the simply reason that i have found myself in the past purchasing the "inferior" product and eventually upgrading anyway. there are some benefits the PC offers that the flex does not, but at the end of the day, the extra power the flex offered was the clincher and i love it.
+1...you always get what you pay. I can't tell you how many times we have to upgrade clients from the pc to the flex. The way I look at is, it's better to spend $300 now, then to spend $400-500 getting the pc then finding out you should have bought a flex.
Old 02-08-10, 05:57 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Flex has a 7.5 amp motor, in comparison to the 4.5amp which the G110 and the Porter Cable. The working range of Oscillations Per Minute on the Porter Cable and the G110 is just as wide as the Flex, but lower. The G110 has a slowest speed of about 1800, the Porter Cable is 2500. Those are both slower than the Flex which has a slowest speed of 3200. That is a benefit for both of those machines if you are using it for wax application, where slower is definitely better. On the high end however, which is the speed that you require for removing more defects, the highest speed of the PC or the Meguiars is roughly 6800 or so, whereas the Flex goes all the way to 9600.

The Flex also has a forced rotation, which means that if you apply pressure to it, it will continue to rotate rather than just orbit, that aids in its corrective ability. The Meguiars unit has what they call "cruise control" which is probably the same thing, I haven't used it, but their product description says that it will continue to work even under applied pressure, so it could be similar.

The bottom line in comparison of simple numbers, is that the Flex is considerably more powerful than the other two. Its layout is also a little bit better. It has a trigger for a speed control, which is great. It is laid out a lot like a rotary, so it is really user friendly. The Porter Cable and the Meguiars both have a simple on or off switch with a speed control. So they are great for use with one hand, but for using two it is a little more difficult.

I would really judge them all on their ability to be a complete and functional tool. The Flex is easy to use, doesn't have a steep learning curve, and is extremely capable as a tool. Even doing our full paint correction details, we still heavily rely on the Flex because of its ability to due the job while severely minimizing the risk of damaging the paint surface. It corrects well, finishes great, and takes a lot of the stress and thought out of the polishing process. From the first time that I used it I thought that it was the best tool for the DIYer, and two years later, after countless hours using it, I can't possibly agree any more
Old 02-08-10, 07:40 PM
njs
Driver

Flex is away better choice to go with.. get the DAO if u are not that confident with a buffer.. The flex does have some kick but, nothing u woulndn't be able to handle.. My 2 cents. I have the flex.. I think the Flex ans Rotory.. are the best..
Old 02-14-10, 08:59 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I'd sell you my PC but I need it for the self healing clear coats.....Only reason I bought it, (I've used it like 3x) ...The G110 or Flex are both can't go wrong with choices.
Old 02-17-10, 04:16 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You can't go wrong with any of this polishers, the only thing you have to remember is the Flex comes with only one size backing plate. So if your looking to go from one size to another ( 4" to 7.5" ) the Porter Cable 7224XP, Meguiars G110 V2, any one of these will accommodate any size backing plate.
Old 02-18-10, 08:41 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

I understood that the new Porter cable 7224XP was an improvement over the old 7224.

With respect to the 7224XP, how does it stack up against the Flex machines?
Old 02-18-10, 08:48 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myculito
I understood that the new Porter cable 7224XP was an improvement over the old 7224.

With respect to the 7224XP, how does it stack up against the Flex machines?
In short they are similar but the Flex has a bit more power than the Porter Cable 7424 XP. I think almost everyone would want the Flex over the PC but it cost quite a bit more. Here is our Buffer Comparison Chart to reference so you can see their specs side by side. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-22-10, 11:20 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

This will be my first polishing machine. I'm pretty handy when it comes to this kind of stuff, but i don't want to risk damaging my paint.

I want something good... something that's easy to use for a beginner, but that I won't easily grow out of.

So will the Flex fit my bill, or would the PC 7424XP?
Old 02-22-10, 04:30 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

There all great machines to use when your polishing the first time, just remember the Flex has more power, but only one size backing plate and the 7424XP you can use different backing plates and it's easy on the worry of burning paint on some folks mind. If you can't decided on which polisher just call me at PAC!
Old 02-22-10, 10:17 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are these vendors competitors?
Old 02-23-10, 09:04 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

This will be my first polishing machine. I'm pretty handy when it comes to this kind of stuff, but i don't want to risk damaging my paint.

I want something good... something that's easy to use for a beginner, but that I won't easily grow out of.

Think of it this way...the flex is a tool that will grow with you. It's designed to be a professional tool in a DIYer hands. Because it has an adjustable trigger, you can control how fast you want it to spin. You know what they, measure twice and cut once. Same here....several people that have the flex love it and are getting great results. If you have the extra $100, go for it...you'll thank me in the morning
Old 02-23-10, 10:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have just the regular slightly less powerful PC 7424 I got about 2 years ago and I was a novice when I first got it. I paid around $99 for it and it has been more then worth every penny. It is a very well built proven solid machine, has never given me an issue, and I have never felt I needed anything more powerful or stronger. There is a ton of market support for the PC from backing plates to pads. I detail cars on the side with it and with the right pads and polishes it is able to correct just about everything I throw at it safely. It has made a huge difference in the way my finish looks compared to what it was like when I bought it.

Unless you are polishing numerous cars for a business and need something able to do the job a little quicker or correct more serious flaws better I don't think you will grow out of a PC 7424XP especially if you are mainly just detailing your car or maybe someone else's car every now and then.

If a PC can't correct something more serious it is doubtful a FLEX would be able to do it much better and you would most likely need to step up to a rotary anyway.

I am sure a FLEX is a nice machine and I did consider it when I was deciding which buffer to buy but most people seemed to recommend getting the PC for my needs and saving the money. After using my PC I did not regret my decision saving over $200 and don't feel any need to spend 3 times as much on a machine that works a little better. As for stepping up to a more powerful machine in the future many often end up stepping up to a rotary over the mid level FLEX.

It really boils down to price, both are good capable machines. The PC is more then capable of handling any swirl marks, light scratches, water spots on your car and making your finish look stunning. The PC is a fantastic deal at around $100 where the FLEX is pretty pricey at around $300. If you want a machine that works a little quicker and can correct a little better and don't mind spending $200 more on the PC then go for the FLEX. If you are on a budget and really just want something to correct swirls and scratches on your car I would go with a PC as it is more then enough and use the money saved on pads/backing plates/polishes. If I was going to upgrade in the future I would most likely just get a rotary, you end up saving a nice bit of money going from a PC to a rotary over going from a FLEX to a rotary.
Old 02-23-10, 10:37 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

UDel,

Nice reply! Thanks for that.

However, I was curious. I keep seeing that people say the FLEX is faster. How exactly is it faster?
Old 02-23-10, 12:09 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

UDel,

However, I was curious. I keep seeing that people say the FLEX is faster. How exactly is it faster?
Since the flex has more torque than both pc units, you work smarter, not harder. Your time is usually cut in half and the results are noticeably better too. But, if on a budget, the pc XP should be just fine. I haven't used one yet but hear good things.

I'll post some pictures later of a black Aston Martin Vantage we worked on and ALL the paint correction was done with a flex.
Old 02-23-10, 12:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

UDel,

The Flex has more power/torque and the pad spins as well as oscillates so it should take less time to polish panels/break down polish then the PC.

Last edited by UDel; 02-23-10 at 12:24 PM.