Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dried road salt, grime, dirt from winter driving on Lexus paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 11:13 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dried road salt, grime, dirt from winter driving on Lexus paint

Hey guys, hopefully some of you guys can help me with this issue. I'm not new to car detailing by any means. But, my 94 SC300 has Diamond White Pearl paint from the factory and it is in almost mint condition and was garaged kept most of it's life before I owned it. I am REALLY weary about driving it in the snow/winter weather because of the salt on the roads that gets all over my car when driving. Unfortunately, I do have to drive my car to get from point A to point B on a daily basis in this horrible stuff. I've heard that salt can eat the hell out of a paint job and chrome so I was wondering if there would be any damage done to my paint/clearcoat or wheels from the road salt/grime/dirt from driving in the snow/winter weather? How long does it take for this stuff to damage a paint job and chrome wheels? Because my chrome wheels are 20" aftermarket wheels and are in just as good of condition as my paint. I am just worried about getting them messed up. I can't wash the car because the temperatures are below freezing and will continue to be for a while as we near official winter time. My car is COVERED in road salt and whatnot and I can't wash the car and I don't have a garage to store it in, it is really bugging me lol. Any help on this?
Old 12-23-09, 06:51 AM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

the least you can do it rinse off the underbody and the panels as often as possible. thats probably your best bet. either that or go get some optimum no rinse and wash the car that way. might wanna add a sealant to the wheels to protect them from all the road debris. might want to add some wax or a sealant to the paint as well to protect it from all the salt and grime.
Old 12-23-09, 07:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Salt and winter road grime are a problem. Most notably when it snows on your dirty car and you need to brush or push it off. The weight of the snow sliding over this salt/sand/grit causes marring.

I try to keep my car just as clean in the winter as in the warmer seasons. I do this in the snow season by using a local touchless carwash. I buy 12 washes at a time from the operator at a discount then run the car though whenever it gets dirty. I also get the underbody flush to minimize rust.

I would not use a touch type of wash or one that towel drys the car after the wash. Fortunately, your car is white and that color tends to not show minor swirls much.

I usually try to give the car a QD and apply a coat of UQW a few times during the winter to prolong the wax protection.
Old 12-23-09, 08:56 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Having lived in MI with a white car and chrome wheels, I can attest that it's a chore and a half to keep it clean. The advice from Jim above is good, but I would also be open to washing it at a self wash. They heat the water in winter, and you can spray it and knock off the majority of it. I did this for over 5 years in the bitter cold, and while it's not fun, my paint looked factory fresh in all the "typical" areas that are affected by snow/salt/grime.

I would definitely recommend talking with a friend who may be able to help you out and get the car clean, then wax it up. It will assist with keeping the car clean and limiting the salt from killing the paint.

Big Mack
Old 12-23-09, 08:58 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay cool good info guys. But how long does it take for this salt stuff to really start doing some damage? I mean I can't wash my car EVERY day in the winter, it is just way too cold for that.
Old 12-23-09, 09:15 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by rooticon
Okay cool good info guys. But how long does it take for this salt stuff to really start doing some damage? I mean I can't wash my car EVERY day in the winter, it is just way too cold for that.
It takes a bit of time, but it can be limited by keeping it waxed. It will also limit the amount that sticks, which is the important thing. The slicker the surface, the less opportunity for it to damage your paint. I would highly recommend waxing the lower part of the doors/rockers/quarters a couple of times, then periodically hit it with the Quik Wax and Ultimate Quik Detailer after washing the gunk off.

If I had to give it a timeline, I would recommend washing the car at least once a week to minimize the possibility of damage.

Big Mack
Old 12-23-09, 09:38 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I wash at least weekly year round. I think all would agree that salt is much more corrosive and damaging to a car than pollen, dust and summer dirt. To me that means the car needs more attention in the winter months. Of course, winter means different things depending where you live. Winter in WI makes cars rust. I hate winter in WI.

In my area the town mixes sand with their salt. Drive around a bit and you have a lot of salt and sand on your paint. If it then snows on your car and you push the snow, off or it slides off as the car warms up, it is dragging sand across your paint.

There was a post in this forum a while back from someone in the Chicago area, IIRC, that showed a lot of underbody rust on a newer RX. My 04 RX shows almost none.

If you plan on owning the car for a long time, I think the extra washing is a good investment.
Old 12-23-09, 12:31 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay guys thanks I appreciate the help! I'm going to try and wash the car off now lol. Atleast I'll try to get what I can off of the car by spraying it off at a car wash. Can't hand wash because my hose is frozen at my house and its too cold for hand washing a car right now anyway lol.