Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Why car soap/shampoo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 04:45 AM
mb13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why car soap/shampoo?

I've been washing cars with water only my entire life but now that i got my 300C i was wondering what's the difference if I use water and if I use soaps?

And which soaps are the best ones?
Old 12-20-09, 04:54 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Why do you use soap/shampoo when you shower? Its because you smell if you don't =P
Old 12-20-09, 06:07 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not a chemist.
But you wash dishes with detergent because the suds aid in dirt removal- surfactants in the soap ease dirt and oil removal.
I would also imagine that there would be a lower chance of scratching a vehicle when washing with a soap, since it is less abrasive than washing with water.

Also, it may sound corny, but it makes washing a car funner. The fragrance and appearance of suds makes an auto enthusiast enjoy washing their car. At least it does for me- otherwise I would just let the rain wash it.
Old 12-20-09, 06:21 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
I'm not a chemist.
But you wash dishes with detergent because the suds aid in dirt removal- surfactants in the soap ease dirt and oil removal.
I would also imagine that there would be a lower chance of scratching a vehicle when washing with a soap, since it is less abrasive than washing with water.

Also, it may sound corny, but it makes washing a car funner. The fragrance and appearance of suds makes an auto enthusiast enjoy washing their car. At least it does for me- otherwise I would just let the rain wash it.
+1 - the soap reduces the chance of scractching the paint..

DO NOT USE DISH SOAP - it will strip off the wax (which also helps protect the paint from scratching).
Old 12-20-09, 07:25 AM
gnode
Driver School Candidate

Use something like Meguiars or Armorall soap that has some wax built in. It helps maintain luster and a mirror finish in between waxes.

And, DO NOT USE DISH SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-09, 08:04 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 50 years making shampoo, and Im not joking, soap is better. Shampoo has a component that is pretty strong and if by any chance you dont take it completly off the car, your clear coat will be damaged. So soap is better. Ideally soap for washing cars offcourse
Old 12-20-09, 11:08 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

MEGUIARS car care products HANDS DOWN !

The advantage of car shampoo is it is able to lift dirt without damaging the car's clear coat and paint. You will also get nice water beads as car shampoos have protective agents that goes onto the paint as you wash the car.

Never use dish detergent because that will just strip your car's wax.
Old 12-20-09, 12:43 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

for bang for your buck, i've been reading that megs gold class is the best deal.
Old 12-20-09, 03:24 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Eimann Fabrik Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo & Conditioner quickly removes the toughest road grime without using any strong, detergent, cleaners. Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo contains the latest in German surfactant technology and surface conditioning oils combined with TUFF SUDS II, an agent that puts cleaning punch in the suds' walls to clean with out surface abrasion.

This shampoo removes dirt and oily road grime but will not strip off existing wax or sealant coatings. Eimann Fabrik Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo is pH-neutral making it safe for all surfaces and creates mountains of suds even in hard water.

Formulated with TUFF SUDS II foaming technology, BLACKFIRE Gloss Shampoo creates mounds of rich suds, even in hard water. This new foaming technology uses cleaners and lubricating polymers suspended in the bubble's walls to scour away the toughest films and road grime without affecting the protective wax or sealant coating. You can feel the difference using a top quality shampoo. Your sponge or wash mitt just glides over the surface.

In addition, Gloss Shampoo is fortified with the same acrylic, super polymers used in All Finish Paint Protection. These polymers increase washing lubricity, encapsulating loosened grit to reduce washing swirls. They also improve water sheeting to prevent water spotting. This makes Gloss Shampoo an excellent choice for washing black, red and dark color vehicles.

Plus, a bonus!

Some of the polymers remain on the surface after drying, increasing surface luster and water sheeting. In addition to complimenting BLACKFIRE's shimmering gloss, these acrylic polymers can also be used over carnauba waxes making BLACKFIRE Gloss Shampoo a truly universal shampoo.

Meguiars Hyper-Wash is an extremely concentrated car soap which provides thick, rich suds even when diluted at a ratio of 400:1. Only one oz. of Meguiars Hyper wash is all you need when filling a 5 gallon wash bucket! Great for high-volume detail shops, one gallon of Meguiars Hyper-Wash provides enough soap concentrate to safely and gently clean over 100 vehicles. Meguiars Hyper-Wash is biodegradable and gentle to all paint finishes.

To reduce or eliminate washing swirls, you must keep removed grit in the wash bucket. This is accomplished by using the Grit Guard Insert in the wash bucket. This simple plastic grid sets in the bottom of your wash bucket.
As your sponge, wash mitt, pad or wash brush is rubbed against the Grit Guard Insert, gravity causes grit and sand particles to settle to the bottom of the pail.

Your wash water stays "scratch-free" clean! When you're done washing, you'll be amazed at how much grit and grime has settled in the bottom of your wash bucket.

Last edited by Angelo; 12-20-09 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 09:06 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Haha, everyone seems to be a Megs junkie here. Not complaining since I'm one myself, especially Hyperwash! Damn that stuff is amazing through a foam cannon
Old 12-20-09, 10:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Car soap made for cars.. Its not rocket science
Old 12-20-09, 11:30 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw shampoo. thats old and busted. optimum no rinse is the new hotness.
Old 12-21-09, 12:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
screw shampoo. thats old and busted. optimum no rinse is the new hotness.
I only use ONR for convenience, but if I always had the time to wash my car the way I wanted I would still use soap and water.
Old 12-21-09, 01:00 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^agreed. ONR is great for winter washing off salt and dirt. not that you california people would understand!!!!
Old 12-21-09, 01:53 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^agreed. ONR is great for winter washing off salt and dirt. not that you california people would understand!!!!
Gets pretty cold here in California. It's like 60's and 70's this whole week. Use ONR for convenience and don't like to waste water. Must easier than lugging the hose and causing a mess. That and it seems to be encapsulate the dirt better than my Meguiar's Gold Class and adds an extra sheen.

Wax within car soap is more of a novelty in my opinion. Doesn't really offer any protection. You should be using a separate wax (not a spray) or sealant. But if you're using plain water, you're probably not doing that anyways.

Quick Reply: Why car soap/shampoo?