Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Problem: Can't see white wax on a white car. Will this crazy solution work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 04:48 PM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Can't see white wax on a white car. Will this crazy solution work?

I just got done washing and waxing my white '95 ES300. I bought Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax. After washing and drying my car I began to apply the wax but immediately ran into this problem. I couldn't see what areas i covered because the wax didn't stand out from the car. This made waxing somewhat difficult, having to look at it at weird angles to see if there is wax on the surface.

Maybe most other waxes aren't white, so i could find a colored one, but for this one i was thinking to add a drop of food coloring to the wax bottle. It should give it a faint tint to it. Anything just to distinguish it from the white car. My only worry is if it will stain the car. But i suppose i could test it on a small spot. Anyone have any better ideas or know of a better wax that isnt white? Thanks!
Old 08-18-09, 07:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

First off, welcome to CL. Second, most quality waxes will end up with a fairly similar color since they all have similar ingredients. I would DEFINITELY not recommend adding a coloring to it, as it could stain the paint since it's not intended for that.

Owning several white cars myself, I can't relate to the problem you have. If you're waxing in a covered area like you should be, you simply look at the paint and see where there is no reflection. When the wax is freshly applied, it should not have nearly the reflective properties of a buffed out finished panel. Once it's hazed as it should be, it will have almost no reflection since the light isn't getting through to the clear. Are you waxing the entire vehicle at once? That complicates things when applying to make sure you don't miss a big spot on a panel, but you always have to review the areas you've worked no matter the color. I'd get better lighting if you can't see where the car has or hasn't been waxed.

Big Mack
Old 08-18-09, 08:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just waxed my RX450h (aurora white pearl) this past weekend. just do a small section at a time, and look at the paint in different angles. it's very noticeable if you still got some wax haze.
Old 08-18-09, 08:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

easy. get a good flashlight and shine on it.
Old 08-18-09, 08:42 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by immax01
I just got done washing and waxing my white '95 ES300. I bought Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax. After washing and drying my car I began to apply the wax but immediately ran into this problem. I couldn't see what areas i covered because the wax didn't stand out from the car. This made waxing somewhat difficult, having to look at it at weird angles to see if there is wax on the surface.

Maybe most other waxes aren't white, so i could find a colored one, but for this one i was thinking to add a drop of food coloring to the wax bottle. It should give it a faint tint to it. Anything just to distinguish it from the white car. My only worry is if it will stain the car. But i suppose i could test it on a small spot. Anyone have any better ideas or know of a better wax that isnt white? Thanks!
I wouldnt put a dye or food coloring in it. I find that most waxes on white are best suited as white wax so that it doesnt tint the appearance.

I do have a great alternative for you though. Check out OptiSeal from Optimum. There is no residue to buff off, so you dont have to worry about leaving any behind or missing some. Simply apply the product and allow it to evaporate. Thats it Superb durability and looks great
Old 08-18-09, 08:57 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wax in the shade of your area and use the reflections of darker objects to help you see the wax. Having a white minivan taught me that type of thing
Old 08-19-09, 04:57 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, have the same problem with mine. I always use Zaino and even mentioned it to Sal once since it is so hard to see on my white GX. Makes waxing take longer since I sometimes use too much since I cannot see it. Waxing my wifes black X5 is much easier!
Old 08-19-09, 09:24 AM
Motil10108
Driver

Yeah, white cars are a pain in this aspect. Like others have said, try a shaded area.
Personally, i wait until dawn or late afternoon and park the car in the garage to wax. This way, the light gets in the garage at nice angle to see the wax without having the paint heat up from the sun
Old 08-19-09, 07:00 PM
alpha318
Driver School Candidate

Having two white cars, I apply two layers of sealant and a layer of wax if I feel up to it.

The reason I apply two layers of sealant is to ensure 100% coverage, since it is hard to see and since the applications are thin.