Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does alcohol remove polish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:12 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does alcohol remove polish?

I did a search and the question remains unanswered. Please forgive me as I don't exactly understand how the polish provides the "protection" to the paint, but here's my situation:

I'm in the process of applying multiple coats of polish to my car, over the next week or so. When finished, I will be getting clear bra on the hood and bumper, etc. I asked the installer if they will be stripping the polish before application. He didn't know the answer, but said they will be using a mixture of alcohol and water on the surface to prep it.

So, I'm basically trying to find out if I'm wasting my time applying all this polish before having it installed. My logic is that I want the surface to look really nice and shiny before something is applied that I cannot polish.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-11-09, 01:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Polish is an abrasive that provides no protection at all. Wax is what provides protection, and alcohol will take it off because the clear bra needs a clean surface to attach to.
Old 08-11-09, 01:31 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Polish is an abrasive that provides no protection at all. Wax is what provides protection, and alcohol will take it off because the clear bra needs a clean surface to attach to.
Thank you for the clarification.

THIS is the product I'm using (Zaino Z-5 and Z-2 for those who don't want to click the link). In the product description, "protection" is referenced and used in comparison with waxing (i.e. "don't wax...use this Zaino instead"). Is anyone familiar with this product who can clarify what protection it is providing and whether or not the application of this product will be negated when the clear bra is installed?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-09, 01:32 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i think he meant the polish residue. if so yes...... i think lol.

im not sure whats the mixture but.. its like a 1:2 ratio in a spray bottle.. somethin like that.
Old 08-11-09, 01:35 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

At the end of the day, I'm polishing the car to make it look wet and shiny. I'm just trying to find out if I'm wasting my time because whatever process is used to prep the car for clear bra may or may not negate the effects of the polish. Hopefully that clarifies, lol.
Old 08-11-09, 02:04 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
At the end of the day, I'm polishing the car to make it look wet and shiny. I'm just trying to find out if I'm wasting my time because whatever process is used to prep the car for clear bra may or may not negate the effects of the polish. Hopefully that clarifies, lol.
I am not familiar with zaino products, so I can't really comment on what you are using.

If you are truly polishing your paint then you are not wasting your time. Polishing will remove swirls and light surface scratches making your paint look clean and clear, so that when it is under the clear bra it will stay that way.

Polishing is the step prior to waxing which prepares the surface and makes wax the most effective. If you are just waxing the paint then the alcohol spray will clean it all off and make it a waste of time.
Old 08-11-09, 09:47 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ilocke
No, the prep for the clear bra will not negate anything you're doing. If you were waxing, it would be. Polish is a mild abrasive. The Z-2 is a polymer that rides on top of the paint. It is not the same as wax, however. I don't buy the hype of Zaino products, especially out here in AZ. The polymer may very well bond with the paint and add an additional layer to the clear, but the UV here is beyond intense, and there is only so much a polymer that is bonded to the clear can do - especially in the levels that are possible in a small container and in a product that is not toxic to the touch.

Bottom line - it won't hurt to add it a few times, but you definitely want to put a few layers of wax over it after the bra is added.

Big Mack
Old 08-11-09, 11:17 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Cool thanks for the info guys. I guess I will polish away and find some wax to use after the clear bra.