Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just bought a 08' 350 and it smells like a Girl! ! How do I get the smell out??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 06:57 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gocubs08
where do you buy this "Squash stuff"???
Squash FTW! Do a search in the GB forum for squash. For the OP, after cleaning the leather and carpets, leave the windows and sunroof open so your interior can air out and rid your car of that "girly" smell.....then throw in some squash
Old 05-31-09, 12:33 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, dude if you want to get rid of the smell listen up. Back in 1964 a friend of mine had a brand new vette and he picked me up one day and the thing smelled to high heaven. Seems he spilled a bottle of "Jade East'" colone in the back. What has probably happened is the former owner "spilled" a bottle of perfume in the car and you need to find that spot. When you do put any of the suggestions to that spot and you should be OK.

For those of you that even remember Jade East man you B old.
Old 05-31-09, 07:41 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default billy jean

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Seriously, dude if you want to get rid of the smell listen up. Back in 1964 a friend of mine had a brand new vette and he picked me up one day and the thing smelled to high heaven. Seems he spilled a bottle of "Jade East'" colone in the back. What has probably happened is the former owner "spilled" a bottle of perfume in the car and you need to find that spot. When you do put any of the suggestions to that spot and you should be OK.

For those of you that even remember Jade East man you B old.
Jade East? Any relations to Jean Nate?

Hey, I'd rather have my car smelling like a nice, young, fragrant lady's perfume, than the cigarette smoke and old fart of the previous driver's rear end... ha ha. Everything will go away with time. The smell is probably on the seat from the previous owner having been in there so long. Just keep your windows cracked open with sunroof also popped, and you'll be fine in a little while. Before you know it, it'll smell like your stinky BO in no time.
Old 06-10-09, 01:53 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best way to get the smell out is pretty easy. On a cold night, sit two boxes of baking soda inside. Spray some on the carpeting ( very minimal ), and blast the heater for a good 30 minutes or so. 1 Hour does it best!

Take some leather cleaner, and gently rub the seats until theyre rich in scent. Go to autozone, and purchase two cans of the fresheners. Place them under your driver and passenger seats. Only poke about 3 holes ( medium size holes, forks work best ).
Old 06-10-09, 02:06 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you're up for a carcleaning , you can sprinkle the baking soda all over the carpet, so it has more surface area to take effect. Vaccuum it up after a day or so.

For a natural solution, try some citrus. E.g. buy a pineapple cut of the rinds, leave rinds in car on plates or pot/tray overnight. Oh, and eat the pineapple
Old 06-10-09, 03:04 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to a detail shop they have something they call ozone. its kinda expensive but itl take it off no problem.
the cheap way os leaving the car in the sun for hours with all windows open, spray febreeze once an hour. wash the floor mats on the washer, dry them out on the sun.
been there before
Old 06-18-09, 09:30 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i wouldnt mind my car smelling like girls

rather not have it smelling like guys.. i mean my car is a girl.. shes my baby
Old 06-26-09, 11:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

use cologne and make sure that the AC is set to recycle. I love the way my car smells like Gucci cologne in the morning when I start it. sexy time
Old 06-30-09, 04:22 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ick, sounds like a case of to much car sex =P
Old 07-10-09, 07:28 AM
dunbar43
Driver

First of all, I bet car sex is the culprit, not the previous owner; but the man didn't want to embarass his gf like that . My advice would be to use carpet cleaner on the floor mats (unless theyre rubber, then I have no clue how to clean them lol), just a little, and vacume them. Then spray carpet cleaner on the ceiling, and vacume that. The ceiling collects odors like crazy, but not everyone thinks about it. Then clean the leather with leather cleaner, and the dash with armor all wipes. Then at this point, leave baking soda in your car overnight, and in the morning take it out. Then drive with the windows down, and leave them cracked when you park. Then the car should be fine. This is what I did to get cigar smells out of my GS several times...worked pretty well.
Old 07-10-09, 10:19 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
My Shaldan squashes are 4 for 10 at your local Asian Marketplace.
I'd shampoo the floor mats. Clean the seats with a leather cleaner/conditioner.
And the headliner (that stuff soaks up odors) like no other...
The My Shaldan squash smells fake. Too sour and a lime smell. Get the smooth colonge.
Old 07-10-09, 11:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Burn some rubber with the windows open.
Old 07-10-09, 12:57 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you really want to get rid of the smell? Take it to a legit professional reconditioner, at a dealer or standalone. They should have an ozone machine. You pay them some money, and they run this machine in the car overnight that pumps ozone into the cabin. The next day they let it air out for a few hours and the smell will be gone. Worked on my dad's A8L with cigar smell.

If you can't do this, then go to sparkleauto.com and get one of their single release odor bombs. Put all the windows up, set it in the middle of the car and push the button, then shut the door (get out obviously). Leave it in there overnight and then pull the car out into the driveway with all the windows open and let it air out. These will also get rid of the smell.
Old 07-10-09, 08:51 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
you really want to get rid of the smell? Take it to a legit professional reconditioner, at a dealer or standalone. They should have an ozone machine. You pay them some money, and they run this machine in the car overnight that pumps ozone into the cabin. The next day they let it air out for a few hours and the smell will be gone. Worked on my dad's A8L with cigar smell.

If you can't do this, then go to sparkleauto.com and get one of their single release odor bombs. Put all the windows up, set it in the middle of the car and push the button, then shut the door (get out obviously). Leave it in there overnight and then pull the car out into the driveway with all the windows open and let it air out. These will also get rid of the smell.
Doesn't Ozone cause plastic and rubber deterioration?
Old 07-14-09, 08:47 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

simple problem

GET activated charcoal!