Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

where to begin - need some help from the pros

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 09:41 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts
Default where to begin - need some help from the pros

hey guys, i will be picking up a 93 sc300 next weekend and will quite a bit of work to do. from the pictures i have seen the interior basically has 16 years of neglect all over the carpets, door panels, dash, and leather. i bought the car to get me back and forth to work - which it will just fine, but i want my wife to be able to sit in it without feeling like she is going to get cooties. i used some sprayway vinyl cleaners on an old solara i owned prior to my is 250 and it did wonders on cleaning the dirt from the door panels, etc. are there some better products out there for heavy duty cleaning i should consider? i plan on giving the car a good vaccuum/shampoo after i pick her up but i am sure there will still be a great deal to do. i am comtemplating replacing the carpet and upholstery but i wanted to exhaust all of the options to recondition before looking to replace. thanks guys.
Old 05-07-09, 10:38 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I've had to do some serious cleaning on door panels, trim and seats, I used P21s Total Auto Wash Stuff works wonders! Just be sure to follow it up w/ a good light cleaner/protectant like 303 aerospace or optimum leather protectant.
Dash and door products

For the seats, you might also consider going w/ leatherique products. Start w/ the rejuvinator oil, applying liberally to the leather and let it sit and bake. It'll pull out the grime from the seats and work to soften them up quite considerably. When it comes time to remove, spray on the prestine clean and wipe clean w/ a microfiber towel. I did a writeup on this a little back which goes over the steps along w/ some pics.
Leatherique Rejuvinator and Prestine Clean Package

Then for the carpet, you can do a few things. Before replacing the whole carpet, you may want to look around to see if any local detailers have a hot water extractor to deep clean them. In the meantime, you can do a product like lightning fast cleaner and stain extractor or one of the 303 brand products
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/caup.html

Do you plan to do the exterior as well?
Old 05-07-09, 10:41 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Heres a link to an interior job that I had done a while ago. The majority of the initial cleanup on the seats and doors and trim came from using the p21s total auto wash.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...hat-i-had.html
Old 05-07-09, 10:43 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

and here was that brief writeup on did on using leatherique.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...diy-steps.html
Old 05-07-09, 10:51 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Heres a link to an interior job that I had done a while ago. The majority of the initial cleanup on the seats and doors and trim came from using the p21s total auto wash.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...hat-i-had.html
The interior of that BMW was disgusting. Great job on the detail Chris
Old 05-07-09, 11:48 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
The interior of that BMW was disgusting. Great job on the detail Chris
Thanks Yea, it was really bad. One of the few jobs that I decided to wear some latex gloves during, lol.
Old 05-07-09, 11:50 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i do plan on working on the paint as well - when i see the car in person and can look at the paint as well as the dented areas - it may need some body work.