Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

cleaning wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 08:37 AM
Jay87T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning wood trim

what do you guys use to clean the wood trim in your lexus? I tried amorall and it seems to leave a film on the trim.
Old 03-30-09, 08:46 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an all-purpose cleaner or a wood polish on mine.
Old 03-30-09, 03:38 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically clean the coated wood trim with the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. It's great for coated wood, plastic, vinyl and fabrics as well. I use it all over the interior and around the home. If desired you can also use an AIO (Klasse AIO) to help further clean and protect the wood. AIOs (All In One) are a combination of polishes and sealants that you can use on your paint as well. If you have any questions about these products or caring for the wood trim please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-06-09, 11:11 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I treat the wood just as I would any other wood product. Lexus told me to use paste was when I purchased my 2002 SC400. So I'm still using auto paste wax on all wood in my LS430, including the steering wheel. I wouldn't think of using any kind of cleaner on the wood.

Seems to work perfectly for me.
Old 04-06-09, 12:26 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

I have hairline scratches around the gear shifter of my ES. Would using a scratch remover product like Scratchx 2.0 or equivalent work just as well?
Old 04-06-09, 01:41 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm i might have to try using paste wax on the wood as suggested
Old 04-16-09, 06:23 PM
Goolie
Driver School Candidate

I use a real fine compound like 3M finesse. Brand of your choice. Make sure it is not a real rough that will make more work. I take that part out of the car an do it on the table or on my lap. Then wax an put back in car. This works on all the wood not just around shifter.
Old 06-09-10, 11:31 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg - Is the 303 Cleaner and Spot remover also good for cleaning the upper dash? You know the gray trim area in the cashmere interiors?
Old 06-09-10, 01:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use any abrasive free polish or wax for a streak free finish.
I use Zaino Z2 on the wood and paint.
Protects and shines.
Old 06-09-10, 02:39 PM
GregE330
Driver School Candidate

I just got my first Lexus and want to keep the wood looking new as it does now. I've owned Mercedes in the past and the wood would always crack and just look terrible. Will the products mentioned above also help in preventing this cracking?
Old 06-09-10, 03:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregE330
I just got my first Lexus and want to keep the wood looking new as it does now. I've owned Mercedes in the past and the wood would always crack and just look terrible. Will the products mentioned above also help in preventing this cracking?
I've never seen the wood in the Lexus crack.
Old 06-10-10, 02:44 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty simple. Polish the wood with a product like einszett Paint Polish or Menzerna Power Finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

Then wax using your favorite wax:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...xes/Categories

Maintain using einszett cockpit premium and a microfiber towel:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

You can also use cockpit premium as an interior detail spray. Use it on leather, vinyl, plastic, wood, chrome, etc.
The following users liked this post:
NigNazTic (12-09-19)
Old 09-07-10, 02:43 AM
mandingo74
Driver School Candidate

Do you know where I can purchase replacement wood dash kit for my 2002 gs 300, the original one is discolored and peeling. Thanks
Old 09-07-10, 06:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I clean wood trim with Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. QID cleans well, leaves UVA and UVB protection behind and is not slippery. Whatever product you use, be sure it doesn't make the steering wheel slippery.

It's good to also keep in mind that you are not treating wood but paint. The wood has layers of clear urethane on it therefore you can use a mild polish to remove or diminish scratches if needed.
Old 09-15-13, 12:43 PM
Red430SC
Driver School Candidate

Default Jim is right

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I clean wood trim with Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. QID cleans well, leaves UVA and UVB protection behind and is not slippery. Whatever product you use, be sure it doesn't make the steering wheel slippery.

It's good to also keep in mind that you are not treating wood but paint. The wood has layers of clear urethane on it therefore you can use a mild polish to remove or diminish scratches if needed.
I have restored wood and finished wood many times. In this case the wood trim is coated with an acrylic like the black glossy finish on a new piano. In fact one of my recommendations is to use the same product pianos require when polishing the wood (acrylic) finish. If it is scuffed - a fine plastic cleaner which is incredibly fine polish made for plastic convertible windows works well. And finally - one of the most overlooked coatings that is cheap and available is pledge. It's like a thin wax film - no solvents. Get the pledge without as much extras as possible - the old fashioned kind. I used this on my black convertible top vinyl for years - always super no cracking or fading. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: cleaning wood trim