Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches from dealer car wash...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 02:39 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_95
if dealer messes up, always bring it back, they will fix it!
Unless they claim that it never happened at the dealership. I've gone back and forth with the dealer since January. They said that all they could do was try to buff out the scratches - this dealer doesn't have a body shop. It even took me 2 tries to get the service manager to see my car. 1st attempt at 7:30am he never showed up despite telling me he'd be there!!! I had to be at work by 8am so I left around 7:50am. 2nd attempt he showed up late and gave me the run around. I even went above his head when I got nowhere with him and got the same story - that being how do they know this happened at their dealership car wash and not elsewhere. It was my word against theirs.

Long story, short.... I spent a lot of time talking to the dealership about this and the best they'll do is have a minimum wage guy try to buff out the scratches. Who knows if he/she would cause more damage? They claim this has never happened at their dealership despite one other CL member telling me the same thing happened to their car at this dealership and they also tried to fight it.

So to ease my frustration, I talked to a local detailer who said he could do the job. I've seen pictures of what he's done in the past and he does good work. So hopefully I'll be happy once he's done.

I'm chalking in up as a life lesson learned. Never let the dealer wash my car again and make sure I put signs in the car stating this. Also never leave the lot until I've inspected the car VERY closely.

Last edited by mjb2124; 03-28-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 02:42 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
such a shame to see Any update though? Are you bringing it in for the detail? Post some after pics if you are!! that price sounds reasonable for that job too imo.
I have 2 vacation days scheduled on Mon, 4/13 and Tues, 4/14 so I'm going to take my car to them the weekend before. It's easier than having my wife drive me to/from work for a few days before she heads to her office.

I'll make sure to post some pictures once complete.
Old 03-29-09, 10:26 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

well at least, from the looks of it, it seems like it should be able to be buffed out...
Old 03-30-09, 07:02 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't really matter; 99% of dealers use autowashes, (only a few have the touchless systems)...And most dealers do not even go for the better lambswool brushes; they use the nylon stuff () The touchless carwashes also cost more as well.
Old 06-12-10, 05:04 PM
frankster
Driver School Candidate

Default No free car washes for me!

I have learned the hard way from going to my dealership "complimentary" car wash. Besides the attitudes, my car seems to have a new scratch, swirl or dent. Originally I was caught up in the word "free" but have quickly learned for the price paid for the vehicle it is certainly not worth going to the dealership "complimentary" car wash as the cost of repairs to my car are not worth it. The "free" car wash is costing me money and the people that work there could care less. The young, gangster looking kids laugh and goof off like they don't want to be there. Makes you wonder what they do to your car besides the car wash ruining it. I expected more from a Lexus dealership.
Old 06-13-10, 09:07 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankster
I have learned the hard way from going to my dealership "complimentary" car wash. Besides the attitudes, my car seems to have a new scratch, swirl or dent. Originally I was caught up in the word "free" but have quickly learned for the price paid for the vehicle it is certainly not worth going to the dealership "complimentary" car wash as the cost of repairs to my car are not worth it. The "free" car wash is costing me money and the people that work there could care less. The young, gangster looking kids laugh and goof off like they don't want to be there. Makes you wonder what they do to your car besides the car wash ruining it. I expected more from a Lexus dealership.
It happens at Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin,......it's the caliber of people in the back, not the brand on the front you should worry about. I'm glad people are becoming more aware of this because we see so much harm done to such beautiful cars all the time. No such thing as a free lunch.
Old 06-18-10, 01:21 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

I used to wash cars at dealers and tried to keep them as safe as possible but it's hard. Usually they are in small bays with bottles, hoses, and other kinds of objects everywhere. Don't ever let dealer wash if you care about your car!
Old 06-21-10, 03:04 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Just got my car back from the dealer who ran it through the touchless. I asked that they do not dry it as they scratched it last time.

This time, soapy water from the wash dripped down and out from the gas tank lid. The hard water ended up etching my paint!

I tried ScratchX, as well as a medium cut rubbing compound, but the drip line is still visible.

I thought I was being smart by not allowing them to dry it...never again...,ever.
Old 06-21-10, 04:29 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That's why I place several large signs in my vehicle.

Do NOT wash.
Do NOT clean interior.
No tire dressing.
Old 12-27-16, 09:30 PM
MsDee
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way... free car wash scratched front drivers side lower part of bumper all the way down to black plastic... I didn't notice it until a few days later, so I was not 100% certain it was from the dealership. That was in the summer... So, like a dummy, I let them give me a free wash one day this late fall and when I got home I had new scratches IN THE EXACT SAME AREA ...I called several times and got 0 help.... so since I was going to get my first 5k mile service, I decided to bring it up then.... I had the general manager , head service manager, and 2 other service techs trying to convince me that their car wash didn't scratch my car... or any other car.... BS!... I now have to take it to a detailer to fix it as best possible... I WILL NEVER USE THEIR CAR WASH or any other car wash again... I will inspect my vehicle immediately after service BEFORE leaving the premises and will put signs and warn them verbally not to wash my car... please note that if their car wash didn't do it, it still was scratched at their dealership while under their care!!! ��
Old 12-28-16, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Most of the dealerships have a cheap car wash machine and hire entry-level help to clean the car. I don't let them touch my cars.

I always inspect my vehicles when picking them up. I take my vehicles in clean and put signs on the dash and console when I drop them off. I also instruct the service advisor to put "Do not wash" on the work order. If damage is apparent get the service advisor and manager to look at it immediately before you leave the premise. If you have a smart phone take photos of the vehicle before and after service. That will prove that any damage occurred while in the dealership possession.