Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Questions about WAX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 12:29 AM
Dble Agent
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about WAX?

What wax do you guys recommend for a USB IS-F?

And what wax do you recommend to coat the IS-F wheels?

I washed my car and I really want it is to shine.

Thanks
Old 03-22-09, 07:28 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you probably want to decide between a sealant or a wax first. Sealants are a much more durable form of protection but waxes tend to look a little deeper. Ideally I would apply a sealant and then a wax as well for optimal protection and shine. If you only want to use one product then I generally recommend a sealant, unless you detail very regularly to re-apply the wax.

For sealants I would recommend the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109. It is the most durable product I've ever used and it looks great on every color. If you want something more affordable try looking at the Chemical Guys M-Seal. Both of these products apply and remove very easy and you only need about 1 oz per coat so they are great values!

For waxes I really love the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax. It has an amazing level of gloss and depth that makes the paint look infinitely deep. For an outstanding value try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. It's easily one of the best waxes I've ever seen for this price range.

For the wheels I highly recommend the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It provides strong protection that makes future cleanings much easier.

All of the Chemical Guys products are 20% OFF through 3/23/09 so now is an awesome time to try these products. If you need any additional recommendations or advice please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-22-09, 03:51 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

with a color like USB i would for sure polish the swirls and scratches out with a PC and then use a carnuaba wax..swissvax makes some very very very nice products(but expensive) and would really make your paint look super deep and clear for the wheels i would go with their autobahn wax..its formulated for wheels
Old 03-22-09, 04:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would polish it first to get all the swirls/scratches out to start with a nice smooth surface, that is what is going to make your finish shine and look the best anyways.

For sealants I recommend Klass AIO/SG, Jeff Werkstatt AP/AG, and my current favorite Zaino AIO, Z2, Z5, Z8. The Zaino really impresses me with how it beads and how long it lasts and protects and provides a very nice look.

For Carnubas I would highly recommend Colonite 476S just because it protects so well and lasts so long, it pretty much outlasts all sealants available which is very rare for a carnuba and looks very nice too. Poorboys Natty's Blue is a very good carnuba too for looks and is pretty cheap but does not last very long or offer much protection, P21 looks good too. From I have read Pinnacle Souvran is one of if not the nicest looking carnubas for black or darker cars but it is pricey and it does not last very long nor offers much protection but if just looks are what you are after it does not really get any better then Souvran from what I hear, I personally have never tried it.
Old 03-22-09, 05:10 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I agree w/ Greg, http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/wheelsealant1.html on the wheels to help protect them. It'll make future cleanings significantly easier. Apply 2 coats initially, then just reapply each time you'd normally rewax the vehicle.

For the paint, UDel is right on. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/47sudoco.html is extremely durable and looks great. If the car spends any significant amount of time outside, I'd say this is an excellent choice, and its priced very well too,