Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing the car during raining

Old 02-16-09, 02:05 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing the car during raining

One a side note related to washing cars, have you guys ever soaped down your car and have the pouring rain rinse it off? I always do this before or during raining and my car is immaculate after with zero water spots. Same effect as using the Mr. Clean Autodry, but it's free! Rain water is not like the hardwater that comes out of your garden hose. It dries clean and clear. People think I'm crazy seeing me soap down my car and my wife's car in the rain!
Old 02-16-09, 06:19 AM
Gytis123
Pole Position

I never thought of that.. its a good idea!

Last edited by Gytis123; 02-16-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 08:42 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Never intentionally :P Been caught washing the car before a downpour more than a couple times though!
Old 02-16-09, 08:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

No offense, but do you know what rainwater has in it? Every time rain dries on my car i dont get Hard water spots, but i do get pollen, grit and grime that i have to wash off YET AGAIN.

Rain Rinse is a No-go for this guy.

If you want to eliminate HW spots...dry your car after washing with the absorber or equivalent Synthetic Chamois.
Old 02-16-09, 11:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I used to wash my car when it was raining or just after it rained when I lived in my apartment and had no access to a hose and it usually worked out pretty well and although not perfect it was certainly cleaner then it was before it rained. In some areas rain water does spot much less then areas with heavy hard water and chemicals in their tap.
Old 02-16-09, 11:52 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually after a heavy rain my car is pretty clean without the soap. I washed mine yesterday for a meet and its raining right now lol
Old 02-17-09, 12:37 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
No offense, but do you know what rainwater has in it? Every time rain dries on my car i dont get Hard water spots, but i do get pollen, grit and grime that i have to wash off YET AGAIN.

Rain Rinse is a No-go for this guy.

If you want to eliminate HW spots...dry your car after washing with the absorber or equivalent Synthetic Chamois.
You have to soap down the car to break up and loosen the dirt and grit you already had on there. Rain shouldnt have dirt or grit in it. Have you actually tried soaping down the car when its pouring? Noted I said pouring, drizzling just wont do.
Old 02-17-09, 03:41 PM
cyco
Pole Position

haha This seems like a crazy idea but ima try it next time it pours lol. too bad tho a couple of heavy rains just passed
Old 02-17-09, 04:13 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Sounds awfully uncomfortable to me, unless you're out there in a bathing suit. In that case, your neighbor will be videotaping you and one day you'll see yourself on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8blo-fic6MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPkY3NsHFM
Old 02-17-09, 04:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I've done it but don't find it really worth the effort. Because:

1. As mentioned, rain water isn't exactly the softest water in the world, at least not around here. You are basically getting the final rinse. Maybe better quality than your tap water, maybe not. There are too many places on the GS where it just doesn't drain, regardless of wax, like the water spot shelf in front of the wipers. So I roll it inside the garage and dry it off after the rain rinses it. Then is the worse problem which is,

2. You have to keep the car in the garage until the streets are bone dry. Otherwise you instantly crud the clean car up driving it between what you kick up off the street and what other people kick up driving in front of you. Only thing worse than getting your car filthy to begin with is instantly having a clean car get crudded up.

All things considered, if it is raining, find a better use of your time than getting drenched to get a rain water rinse.
Old 02-17-09, 04:55 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Usually after a heavy rain my car is pretty clean without the soap. I washed mine yesterday for a meet and its raining right now lol
believe me guys- this guy knows his soap.

haha. it was good seeing you on Sunday man.
Old 02-17-09, 07:55 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I have never done it, but really can't see any harm if you dry the car later. Yes, you might get some hard water stains and there might be soap left over in edges and crevices...
Old 02-17-09, 09:14 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Rain has acid in it....ESPECIALLY in California. Everyone remembers the condensation- precipitation rain cycle you learned back in grade school right?... Combine the clouds it forms with the smog in Cali...
Old 02-17-09, 09:46 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

I thought about it and my girlfriend called me an idiot..
Old 02-17-09, 10:12 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
believe me guys- this guy knows his soap.

haha. it was good seeing you on Sunday man.
Haha, thanks Cliff! Sorry we couldn't chat much. I was really looking forward to talking to you in person. We managed to finish transferring 2.5 gallons of soap minutes before the Cops were called

Didn't even get to look around either . We'll catch up at the next meet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washing the car during raining