Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 06:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

I've been very pressed for time the last few weeks so I thought I'd try this after finding it at my local Walmart. This is a WOWO spray sealant. It is so easy, like UQD, with more protection. The product works on hot or cool surfaces and can even be used in direct sunlight. No streaking observed. It has the same Hydrophobic Polymer properties as NXT 2.0 and UQD. It has a really strong aroma but not an objectionable one, kind of like a freshly opened KoolAid package. The aroma fades quickly.

The look is like NXT 2.0, deep, wet and very reflective. It also exhibits the same "gee it looks even better the next day" properties like NXT 2.0 does after it cures. I haven't driven it in rain or washed it yet so no comment on beading but the hydrorphobic properties of NXT 2.0 and UQD are noteworthy and I expect the same from this product. I waxed the SUV in about 10 minutes and I was taking my time. The WOWO method is very fast. This product works equally well on plastic and vinyl trim and doesn't stain plastic or rubber nor does it leave a white residue.

This is another new favorite product for me.
Old 02-04-09, 09:45 AM
zzang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would you say this is better than the UQD? Since it has more protection than the UQD? I wanted to get it too but I think I should finish up using my other products first haha.
Old 02-04-09, 10:25 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds similar to Prima Banana Gloss. I'll have to impulse buy this one too

*hunts for a Walmart*
Old 02-04-09, 10:51 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by zzang
So would you say this is better than the UQD? Since it has more protection than the UQD? I wanted to get it too but I think I should finish up using my other products first haha.
I use UQD to remove light dust on almost a daily basis. I will use UQW every week or two to renew the sealant protection and shine. In terms of effort they are about the same to apply and remove. In terms of protection I think UQW will be longer lasting and more durable than the UQD. UQD is not meant to provide long lasting protection.

I think UQD has the ability to encapsulate dust and remove it without damaging or swirling the paint. UQW is intended to be used on a clean surface.

That's my take anyway. I was just really impressed with the ease of use and the results so I thought I'd post my opinion. I didn't have time to do a full detail and wanted to refresh the protection on my daily driver and UQW did that nicely.
Old 02-04-09, 09:41 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, Jim, I guess my impulse buy came on pretty quick. I'm liking this stuff so far
Old 02-05-09, 04:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is something that I'll add to my shopping list for this weekend. Once again my car is covered in salt and were gonna have some mild temps for the weekend so I can wash the car and give this product a try. I just hope that my local Walmart has it though.
Old 02-05-09, 11:20 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume this stuff is similar to Ultima's Paint Guard Plus spray polymer Sealant? My question is: what sort of outside temperature does it have to be to use this type of sealant? I live on the west coast of Canada, where right now the temperatures don't get above ~50 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. Would that be too cold? I don't have a garage to work in but I'd love to be able to do it outside on a sunny day, if possible. What do you guys think?
Old 02-06-09, 05:36 AM
jfelbab

While it doesn't specify a temperature minimum on the bottle, I'd think it would work down to the upper 30° or low 40° area. It was 80° when I first tried it. Now it's 42° here (thanks to one of your Canadian cold fronts, LOL) so I went out and tried it and it works fine at 42°.
Old 02-06-09, 07:41 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by jfelbab
While it doesn't specify a temperature minimum on the bottle, I'd think it would work down to the upper 30° or low 40° area. It was 80° when I first tried it. Now it's 42° here (thanks to one of your Canadian cold fronts, LOL) so I went out and tried it and it works fine at 42°.
Thanks, Jim. So, I think I'll give it a go on our next sunny day! I sure love how easy the wowa products are to apply. Like you said, ten minutes tops and it's done!
BTW, are you sure it isn't one of your Wisconsin cold fronts that decided to pay you a visit in sunny Florida?
Old 02-06-09, 09:07 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I assume this stuff is similar to Ultima's Paint Guard Plus spray polymer Sealant?
It is not a polymer/sealant. It is a sprayable wax that you wipe on and wipe off. The temperatures indicated above should be fine, but you should not expect it to treat the paint as a sealant would.

Big Mack
Old 02-06-09, 10:59 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Big Mack
It is not a polymer/sealant. It is a sprayable wax that you wipe on and wipe off. The temperatures indicated above should be fine, but you should not expect it to treat the paint as a sealant would.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-06-09, 11:01 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Thanks for the clarification.
Glad to do it. Just don't want people getting the wrong impression and expecting it to do more than it's supposed to. It's a good product, but let's face it, a polymer/sealant is more expensive and is designed to be put on underneath the waxes/polishes and actually protect the paint.

Big Mack
Old 02-06-09, 02:43 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Glad to do it. Just don't want people getting the wrong impression and expecting it to do more than it's supposed to. It's a good product, but let's face it, a polymer/sealant is more expensive and is designed to be put on underneath the waxes/polishes and actually protect the paint.

Big Mack
According to Meguiar's, Ultimate Quik Wax uses both synthetic and natural protection ingredients (i.e.polymers).

Meguiar's has a tendency to call their sealants "Wax" as in NXT Tech Wax, NXT 2.0, NXT Spray Booster Wax, etc. It all depends on how you define a sealant and how you define a wax. When I think of a pure wax I think of a true wax containing mostly carnauba. When I think of a sealant I think of synthetic (man made) polymers. There are many products that are a cross of both.

Meguiar's targeted consumer knows what a wax is but may not know what a sealant is. Meguiar's chooses to use the word wax interchangeably in several of their products.

After using the product I get the impression this product is a sealant. I feel this due to the products consistency, and it's effects. It behaves like a sealant and not like a wax. It doesn't leave a white residue. It doesn't stain plastic or rubber trim like a wax. It cures like a sealant. I see this in the appearance improvement after 12-24 hours after application as it cures. All these things are characteristics of a sealant and not a typical carnauba wax.

The only thing that matters in the end is how it looks and performs.
Old 02-06-09, 07:08 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Yes, the wax contains synthetics, but it's still not a true sealant. I called a contact over there at Meguairs, and he said that they use the polymers to "contain" the wax and not stain the trim. It also allows the wax to bond with existing protection to improve upon it.

I trust him, but it does sound a little "markeneering" to me.

And you're right, Jim, as long as it works and shines all purdy, I'm good with it.

Big Mack
Old 02-23-09, 09:25 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I got some of this after reading this thread and I am loving it! I used some smart wax about a month ago and while it was nice, the finish did'nt stay deep black for very long. I would have to use their detail spray to get the deepness back. I put the UQW on and man does this stuff really pop on a black car!!! The only advantage the smart wax had was less dust build up. I have NXT also and used it on my old LS and the UQW is prety much the same look. You cant really beat it for the price and ease of use! Oh yeah, it also worked great on my black/machined wheels! I also agree that It looks good the next day. I did'nt touch the paint for three days then had it hand washed and wow, it had that radiating hard deep gloss that makes you want to say Damn!

Quick Reply: Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax