Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

303 Aerospace Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 12:49 PM
sleepi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 303 Aerospace Protectant

I recently purchase a new 2009 ES 350 would it be smart to use this on my seats or should I just leave it alone for now?
Old 01-06-09, 03:35 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Most important thing for leather is to keep it clean and protected. I would remove whatever dressing the dealership applied, then apply the 303. However, I recommend you get Leather Masters cleaner and protectant from Detailers Domain.
Old 01-06-09, 03:44 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

There'd be nothing wrong w/ wiping them down w/ 303. In case you need a link to 303 stuff
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/303products.html
Old 01-06-09, 06:28 PM
sleepi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
There'd be nothing wrong w/ wiping them down w/ 303. In case you need a link to 303 stuff
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/303products.html
Thanks so much Chris I went ahead and purchase the 303 and 3 other products from that site. Also love the 15% off coupon. By any chance do you know what would be the best cleaner for me to use on the leather? I bought some Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner/condition wipes. Wondering if that would be fine if I use those and after that apply the 303 product. Do you know how often I would need to apply the 303? Is it every time I use the Meguiars wipes?
Old 01-06-09, 09:06 PM
DetailMan
Driver

The Megs wipes will remove 303. I dont want to keep pushing LM, but they offer some of the best dedicated leather products out there. I highly suggest you look into them.
Old 01-06-09, 09:37 PM
sleepi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DetailMan
The Megs wipes will remove 303. I dont want to keep pushing LM, but they offer some of the best dedicated leather products out there. I highly suggest you look into them.
Thanks for the information I'm going to purchase the LM products and use them as cleaners and protectors instead of the megs. I'm best using the LM cleaner and condition first then the 303? Do you know how often someone should clean and conditioner there leather?
Old 01-06-09, 10:47 PM
DetailMan
Driver

You dont need the LM conditioner, just the cleaner and protectant. Or you could just buy the cleaner and continue using 303.
Old 01-07-09, 09:10 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, you have a brand new vehicle and you wont need a leather cleaner for a while. I'd say at least 6mos. Just doing an occassional wipedown w/ the 303 will be plenty for right now.
Old 01-07-09, 09:12 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

and fwiw, whenever the time comes, consider Leatherique. Heres some info posted by another member along w/ a link. But again, I dont think these steps are necessary any time soon.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rs-no-56k.html

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/lepa.html
Old 01-07-09, 12:29 PM
DetailMan
Driver

IMO, you have a brand new vehicle and you wont need a leather cleaner for a while. I'd say at least 6mos. Just doing an occassional wipedown w/ the 303 will be plenty for right now.
I recommended he clean the leather to remove whatever dressing the dealer put on it.
Old 01-07-09, 05:37 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DetailMan
I recommended he clean the leather to remove whatever dressing the dealer put on it.
You sure they applied something to the seats? Just my .02, but I dont think he needs an expensive leather cleaner just b/c the dealer may have applied a dressing to the seats. Even if they did, there would be no harm in allowing it to wear off. I've never seen a set of seats go bad from the owner not removing an interior product after purchase, so I'm just curious why you think it'd be necessary.
Old 01-07-09, 05:53 PM
DetailMan
Driver

You sure they applied something to the seats? Just my .02, but I dont think he needs an expensive leather cleaner just b/c the dealer may have applied a dressing to the seats. Even if they did, there would be no harm in allowing it to wear off. I've never seen a set of seats go bad from the owner not removing an interior product after purchase, so I'm just curious why you think it'd be necessary.
Well hes got the car, so he will know whether or not the dealer applied something. If they didn't, he can simply wipe the leather to dust it off, or lightly spray a microfiber towel with water and use that. If they did apply a dressing, all it will do is cause the leather to be shiny, slippery and attract dirt. The crap they use serves no helpful purpose. Will the leather be ruined if he doesn't, no, but its a new car, might as well start off on the right foot.
Old 01-07-09, 07:24 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erm, not knowing Lexus standards in "prepping" a car, but wouldn't the stuff they put on themselves be Lexol or the Lexus Leather Cleaner/Conditioner? Neither are the best nor the worst products out there but they do do their jobs. If that is the dressing they applied, I personally feel that it should be safe to leave it on there

Also, don't forget that the new cars have coated leathers, so rarely any of the chemicals really get "into" the leather to begin with . And yes, I do believe that it still does something, just nothing at its full potential thats all
Hey Guitarman,

The topcoat used for Lexus leathers supplied by GST are polyurethane in nature. We do supply a set of cleaner and conditioners which are distributed through the Lexus dealers with the Lexus brand. Other then mild soap and water to clean the seats the leather should remain in good condition for a long time as is for a long time. For those who want to take extra care the Lexus products we provide work very well.

Obviously what should be avoided is any harsh cleaners especially those containing solvents.

It is true that the uncoated leathers in general require more care but right now Lexus does not use uncoated leathers. There is talk in the future of using semi-aniline (very lightly finished) or aniline (uncoated) in special models but this is speculative.

Best regards, Bob Courter
Old 01-07-09, 10:01 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Erm, not knowing Lexus standards in "prepping" a car, but wouldn't the stuff they put on themselves be Lexol or the Lexus Leather Cleaner/Conditioner? Neither are the best nor the worst products out there but they do do their jobs. If that is the dressing they applied, I personally feel that it should be safe to leave it on there

Also, don't forget that the new cars have coated leathers, so rarely any of the chemicals really get "into" the leather to begin with . And yes, I do believe that it still does something, just nothing at its full potential thats all
Right, they really dont get into the leather. Which is why putting "conditioners" and what not on the leather will just cause the leather to attract dust. As a result, the coating will start to wear down.
Old 01-08-09, 05:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the big issues with putting anything on protected leather is that it leaves a coating that attracts and holds dirt. Dirt is the enemy and will cause your leather to wear prematurely. Dirt will abrade and make your leather look shiny.

Proper leather care should clean and protect the leather without leaving an oily coating. Products that contan silicones or oils should never be used.

When cleaning the leather use a gentle PH balanced product. Don't use a lot of water or over-wet the seats. Work the cleaner gingerly with a foam pad or very soft bristle brush and after cleaning use a clean dampened MF to wipe off any traces of detergent and then use a couple of dry MF's to buff dry.

If you are going to protect your leather this will make the seats more resistant to dirt and easier to clean, apply it in a thin and even coat. Let dry then buff.

Don't confuse a conditioner with a protectant. In car paint terms, a conditioner is like a glaze and a protectant is like a sealant. One is oily one is not. A conditioner might make the seats feel different but it is the product sitting on the urethane coating you are feeling. This same film will attract dirt where a protectant will not feel oily and not attract or hang on to dirt. Your seats should neither feel slick nor grabby after you have finished.

FWIW, I use Leather Masters cleaners and protectant on my own vehicles every two to three months and can wholeheartedly recommend it. For a quick wipedown I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.

Use of regular Woolite 1:10 (1:6 for heavily cleaning and up to 1:20 for light cleaning) makes a fine cleaner as well. Just be sure to wipe down any cleaning detergent with a damp MF to remove all traces of it and don't get the seats too wet. I've safely used this to clean many cars over the years.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-08-09 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 303 Aerospace Protectant