Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fighting chrome peel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 01:45 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fighting chrome peel?

Hello all,
I'm having a small problem with my recently acquired chrome wheels. The chrome is starting to flake a bit in a few areas due to slight curb rash. The damage is on the very edge where the lip meets the tire. I was wondering if there was some sort of hardcoat gel I could apply a thin layer of to prevent further peeling/flaking? It would have to endure repeated car washes and the elements. I was thinking of clear nail polish. Is that ghetto? Anybody know a product of that nature that exists?

-Theo
Old 06-14-08, 07:13 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been through the same thing on one of my other cars, and there's not a lot you can do if the chrome is failing due to age, manufacturing quality etc, because the problem is the bond UNDER the chrome, so applying some type of clear sealer on top is of no advantage in that case.

However, if the area that the chrome is flaking due to curb rash etc..; you can mix some JB Weld up, and work it under the flaking edge(s) of the chrome and that has helped me in the past, it buys time and seems to hold up very well, being an epoxy.

It's almost impossible not to make a mess of the chrome in the area you're working, but you can use lacquer thinner to remove the excess JB WEld on the chrome. You just want to pack it in UNDER the chrome where it's lifting.

Not a cosmetic panacea, but can stop or slow things down.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 06-14-08, 09:50 AM
FMINUS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I've been through the same thing on one of my other cars, and there's not a lot you can do if the chrome is failing due to age, manufacturing quality etc, because the problem is the bond UNDER the chrome, so applying some type of clear sealer on top is of no advantage in that case.

However, if the area that the chrome is flaking due to curb rash etc..; you can mix some JB Weld up, and work it under the flaking edge(s) of the chrome and that has helped me in the past, it buys time and seems to hold up very well, being an epoxy.

It's almost impossible not to make a mess of the chrome in the area you're working, but you can use lacquer thinner to remove the excess JB WEld on the chrome. You just want to pack it in UNDER the chrome where it's lifting.

Not a cosmetic panacea, but can stop or slow things down.

Hope this helps.

Dan
i AGREE
Old 06-14-08, 10:04 AM
sleeper408

Thanks for the tip. How am I supposed to work it under the chrome. Should I apply the JB weld with a box cutter? Or up to where the rash meets the edge of the slight flake?
Old 06-14-08, 02:03 PM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Thanks for the tip. How am I supposed to work it under the chrome. Should I apply the JB weld with a box cutter? Or up to where the rash meets the edge of the slight flake?
One thing you DON'T want to do is use your finger to smush it under the chrome edge, chrome is SHARP and will slice you up instantly. Besides, blood makes for a poor epoxy bond :P

Use either an old toothbrush, or a plastic body filler spreader(cut one into a smaller size if necessary).

Again, the lacquer thinner will will clean up the excess, and not harm the chrome. If you have a curl or large lift in the chrome edge, you'll have to position the repair at the bottom (6 o'clock wheel position) and depending on whether it's on the lip or the dish part of the wheel, use some object to press against it to hold it down while the epoxy cures. You just have to fool with it and experiment sometimes. But it worked for me on my Chrome Cobra R wheels years ago, the flaking stopped right there.

Dan
Old 06-14-08, 02:06 PM
Guitarman

BTW, you can of course use a clear epoxy instead, but IMO, JB Weld is the best of the over the counter epoxys.

I've used the clear stuff a time or two, but I always seem to come back to JB Weld, it just works.
Old 06-15-08, 01:25 PM
sleeper408

Thanks guitarman for all you help.

I will try and use the JB Weld.