Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Thoughts and Questions on keeping a black car looking good

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 08:47 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts and Questions on keeping a black car looking good

I purchased a PC buffer early this year, and had some good success with it. For a few weeks my car looked great...then the starter went out, and it sat at the shop for a month, getting dusty and leaned on, etc. Over time , the washing, road debris, rain, and pollen have taken a toll. Water marks, swirls, etc, ... all the stuff we work so hard to get rid off with detailing.

I try my best to use a good soap, 2 bucket method, microfiber wash mitt, water sheeting then absorber for drying, but it already looks like time for another pass with claybar and buffer (maybe not compound, but at least polish with orange pad). Shouldn't I wait about 6 months between full detailings?

By the way, this is the sometimes loved, sometimes hated non-clear coat black onyx color (1999 LS400).

1. What is the trick to washing this color? a wash mitt is not abrasive enough to get water marks off and other grime off sometimes, but I don't want to press the paint ... I can look at it funny and swirl it.

2. Do you instant detail? I've used several kinds...some leave it greasy, some seem to do nothing, all of them I fear create swirls.

3. How many of you eventually "give up" to a degree on black cars and just drive around dirty

I really enjoy detailing but this soft black paint and constant dirt/pollen/rain combo around here is taking the fun out of it.
Old 06-09-08, 09:59 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

It looks like alot more people are starting to use the foam guns to presoak the car to lubricate it and get more dirt and grit off before actually washing as a part of the washing process. Not sure how well this works because I have never used it but if someone experienced could chime in...

Also, try using a leaf blower to dry the car when you wash instead of towels - that will help with marring as well.

I use NXT 2.0 wax and that repels dust pretty well...I think to get the most out of the wax you need to apply it at least every 3 months or so.
Old 06-09-08, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, I have pretty much given up on trying to keep my black car swirl and scratch free. I have a 2001 black GS which I believe has a clear coat but it still swirls and scratches at the slightest washing even using the two bucket method and microfiber towels. Enjoy your black car for the few days after it is polished because it is not going to look like that after a few days especially after washing it. It is amazing how a modern automotive paint job is so easy to swirl and scratch and why they have not come out with a better solution by now. I use optimum no rinse but my car sits outside alot and the dirt and pollen just sticks to it so even running water over it does not loosen anything, the only way to get the dirt and pollen off is use a microfiber rag and wiping it off which ends up swirling and scratching. Our water here is extremely soft and leaves white water spots like crazy so it is pretty pointless to use the hose and regular car soap as after washing it the car is covered with spotted mineral deposits that are almost impossible to remove.
Old 06-09-08, 11:14 AM
smoothLEX
Driver

One of my most useful tools is to wash the car with a CRspotless water filtration system. It doesn't leave water spots after the wash,....in fact, I don't even do the final wipe down because I'm using the filtration. Clean microfiber towels is a must as well.
Old 06-09-08, 02:15 PM
SpecC
Rookie

1. do you wash with grit guards? maybe that'll help you. Buy a grit guard for each of your buckets and try that.

2. QDs are fine. just switch towels and don't wipe with the dirty ends

3. i would never give up on it! If it looks faded, i would polish it!
Old 06-10-08, 12:55 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
Well, I have pretty much given up on trying to keep my black car swirl and scratch free. I have a 2001 black GS which I believe has a clear coat but it still swirls and scratches at the slightest washing even using the two bucket method and microfiber towels. Enjoy your black car for the few days after it is polished because it is not going to look like that after a few days especially after washing it. It is amazing how a modern automotive paint job is so easy to swirl and scratch and why they have not come out with a better solution by now. I use optimum no rinse but my car sits outside alot and the dirt and pollen just sticks to it so even running water over it does not loosen anything, the only way to get the dirt and pollen off is use a microfiber rag and wiping it off which ends up swirling and scratching. Our water here is extremely soft and leaves white water spots like crazy so it is pretty pointless to use the hose and regular car soap as after washing it the car is covered with spotted mineral deposits that are almost impossible to remove.

i dont know too much about detailing.. .well enough to keep the car looking shiny... i dont have a black car, i have a dark gray.... well... sounds to me that you should wash with soap and water..... clay bar the car(to remove the crap that sticks to it from having it outdoor).... then a fresh coat of wax.

also... i believe you meant that you have hard water....=P... i think soft water jsut dries....
Old 06-10-08, 06:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is what works for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357795

Bear in mind that black is the toughest color to maintain. After my last black car I swore I'd never own another but I bought another anyway. Masochist I guess. Now I finally did give up on owning black. This time it's for good, (I hope)

Also with a black car you really need to polish much more often than with an nice silver or tan color. I need to polish my 04 Highlander polish every two to three months. It won't damage the paint but it is a chore to keep the thing looking flawless. On my 04 Savannah Gold RX I can get by with 6 to 12 months and it still looks fine.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-10-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 07:30 AM
SpecC
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Here is what works for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357795

Bear in mind that black is the toughest color to maintain. After my last black car I swore I'd never own another but I bought another anyway. Masochist I guess. Now I finally did give up on owning black. This time it's for good, (I hope)

Also with a black car you really need to polish much more often than with an nice silver or tan color. I need to polish my 04 Highlander polish every two to three months. It won't damage the paint but it is a chore to keep the thing looking flawless. On my 04 Savannah Gold RX I can get by with 6 to 12 months and it still looks fine.
Yes, black looks great when maintained correctly. Yes, it is the easiest to see imperfections in. But hey, you gotta have a drawback somewhere. I disagree on need polish more often though. I believe that if the owner maintains the car well (regular washes, sealants, waxes), the paint's shine will naturally show!
Old 06-10-08, 04:51 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a black car owner coming from a silver colored car. April and May was sickening trying to keep my car clean. All the pollen in the air was just too much by leaving my car covered in it just hours after I cleaned it. Even using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 didn't really help with keeping the pollen/dust off. I sometimes use a touchless laser wash but it's often not good enough cleaning the car after a rainstorm. I'm not knocking it but it's probably just because dirt is more visible on a black car.
Old 06-10-08, 07:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I own a black car and I declared that it wasn't worth it for me to detail every 3 months so I only do it once every winter and summer. My car gets dirty quickly anyways so no point in polishing all the time.
Old 06-10-08, 08:17 PM
Scheersped
Driver School Candidate

well a black car definetly isn't the easiest thing to take care of! i own one myself.

i have found that 1. the two bucket wash method works a charm when it comes to not creating swirl marks on your paint. that being you have your soap water filled bucket, and another bucket filled with just water. you wash with the soapy water, then take the dirty mitt and rinse it off in the normal water. this prevents dirt from getting into your soapy water. Ditch the absorber, buy a quality Waffle Weave MF towel.

2. Quick detailers are good to use after washing. it helps keep the static charge of the paint down so it doesn't attract as much dust. i just ordered FK1 #425 which i hear is the best QD out there. i personally have tried Chemical guy's speedwipe and was happy with the result.

3. never give up! it's the sexiest color when clean!
Old 06-11-08, 06:54 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Glad to see i'm not the only one with gripes
I probably do need some grit guards, but I've been washing pretty much the exact 2 bucket method mentioned above....I actually have a waffle weave but MUCH prefer the absorber, it's pretty amazing and seems even easier on the paint.

What are you guys actually using to wash with .... MF sponge, wool type mitt, ? I think one of the main irritations is that after a thorough wash I get up close and notice water spots, marks, etc that the soap and light pressure did not get off....but pressing too hard even w/ microfiber will marr this paint.

Btw I'm detailed with Optimum (compound/polish/paint sealer), and use Poor Boy's blue wax. I quick detail with Meguiars NXT stuff. I knew over time the buffer work would start to fade, but I'm surprised how fast dirt, pollen, rain, etc took the edge off my detailing.

I wouldn't trade my blk/blk car, but next time......silver.
Old 06-11-08, 09:11 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
Glad to see i'm not the only one with gripes
I probably do need some grit guards, but I've been washing pretty much the exact 2 bucket method mentioned above....I actually have a waffle weave but MUCH prefer the absorber, it's pretty amazing and seems even easier on the paint.

What are you guys actually using to wash with .... MF sponge, wool type mitt, ? I think one of the main irritations is that after a thorough wash I get up close and notice water spots, marks, etc that the soap and light pressure did not get off....but pressing too hard even w/ microfiber will marr this paint.

Btw I'm detailed with Optimum (compound/polish/paint sealer), and use Poor Boy's blue wax. I quick detail with Meguiars NXT stuff. I knew over time the buffer work would start to fade, but I'm surprised how fast dirt, pollen, rain, etc took the edge off my detailing.

I wouldn't trade my blk/blk car, but next time......silver.
as long as you keep a fresh coat of wax on regularly, water spots and everything else should be easy to remove. I have a SGM which is very close to black and shows everything as well. As long as I get a nice coat of wax which I tend to do once a month. Car looks great.
Old 06-11-08, 01:34 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

^ 06' vs. 99'.....can't really compare. I have a lot more of time's effects to battle, but yeah wax helps.
Old 06-19-08, 12:03 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I own an Obsidian Black IS250,
it is really tough to keep it swirl free,
but all my test spots seem to show that the method
of washing & quick detailing I'm using are working.

First rinse your car using a high pressure nozzle to get dirt, grime, and
contaminants off the car. (Make sure there's shade, I usually wash mine
at night using Halogen work lights, makes never getting dry watter spots
a wonderful thing.)

Then let it soak for a few minutes and then repeat.

After that do the two bucket system with grit guards and
use two microfiber towels to wash the car. One for top half and one for bottom.

Do one pass on the whole car very lightly adding no pressure at all,
just to loosen up the dirt so it can be rinsed off. Make sure your keeping
the microfiber towel wet the whole time so as to not cause dry suds friction.

After you rinse that first pass, do a second pass with light pressure and
pass over the bottom part of the panels like side skirts at the end of your
pass on the car.

Rinse off, then dry with a clean microfiber towel, plush premium ones are good
and don't swirl if you add light pressure.

After your done drying, use a quick detailer to bring back the shine of your
wax using a clean microfiber towel, and then you're set!

Tried this method on several panels that I polished to perfection, swirl free