Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Proper way to wash a motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 02:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Proper way to wash a motorcycle?

I honestly have never done a full cleaning of my bike.

Sure, I wipe and polish the panels, body, and windshield once a week, but how do I clean the engine without damaging it? Do I just spray the engine with a power hose found at DIY car washes?

What should I watch out for in terms of cleaning electric components? the dash? the chain and sprockets? the exhaust system?

I am also concerned because my bike has an open dry clutch, as well as an exposed oil breather and air intake...

What cleaners should I use? Which ones should I avoid?
Old 05-21-08, 03:55 PM
RXR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use S-100 bike wash just spray it on and wash off with garden hose. stay away from guages open primary and battery.. i use a leaf blower for drying
Old 05-21-08, 04:57 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

+1 for the S100. If you use a pressure washer, be very careful around the tank, painted panels, and electronics. Most of the time, I wash my bike with a regular hose. A few times a year, I will break out the pressure washer. But I only hit the motor, undercarriage and under the fenders so as to avoid any damage.

You can cover your breather and air intake with plastic bags (ziploc should work). Make sure and put a rubber band around it so water doesn't get in.

As RXR suggested, a blower works great after you're done cleaning. It's never ceased to amaze me how much water gets in the nooks and crannies when you soak the bike. A blower makes quick work of that issue.

Can't help you with the chain and s

Can't really help you with the chain and sproket cleaning question - - I ride a belt drive Harley so it's not an issue.
Old 05-21-08, 05:37 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Get some Honda Brite, that stuff works well.
Old 05-22-08, 10:57 AM
bsims_01
Rookie

I once heard that Honda Brite is just re-packaged S100. Same stuff - - and it works great! I could be wrong however.
Old 05-23-08, 12:44 AM
TRDANB
Driver School Candidate

I've done a few bikes with exposed parts and i can say it is a hassle but well worth it to get methodical. Make sure you cover up all components that can be damaged by water with towels and bags like bsims said. I've used a pressure washer with an adjustable psi and never had an issue but psi is set low as well as regular ph balanced car soap. i use an air compressor to blow out all the water so theres no lingering water standing in any nook or cranny that could build up dirt or grime or rust =/.