Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My IS Got Skunked - What Do I Dooooo ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 09:25 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My IS Got Skunked - What Do I Dooooo ???

so i went to throw the garbage out the other night before i had to drive my girlfriend home ...

walked up to the garbage can ... went to open the lid then realized there was a skunk basically right at my feet ... i jumped back and tried to run away but it was already to late... the skunk had already sprayed my sneakers and jeans... my bright girlfriend, instead of running away decided to open up the door of my IS and jump in. (the car was about 8 feet away)

at first i wasnt sure if i got sprayed, or if it just sprayed in the area around us so i got in the car also and drove her home. When we got to her house i got out of the car and realized that i did infact get sprayed. The smell was so horrible and over powering inside the car. Im pretty sure the spray didnt go directly into the car, but being that its so strong i dont think it mattered. it was raining so i couldent leave my windows open... and now my car reeks like a skunks ***...

someone pleaaaaseeeeee help me with some idea to get this gross smell out.

ive used like a bottle of fabreeze and a bottle of oust just spraying everywhere... and last night someone told me to leave a few cups of white vinegar in my cupholders... i rather my car smell like vinegar than skunk, and its not as bad now... im going to try leaving a bowl of coffie beans/grounds in overnight tonight and see what happens...

has anyone herd of anything else i could try???
this sucks

has anyone herd of anything else?
Old 05-03-08, 09:28 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

You could try the commercial skunk removers
Old 05-03-08, 09:34 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
You could try the commercial skunk removers
Is that a subsidiary of Ghostbusters??
Old 05-03-08, 09:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Is that a subsidiary of Ghostbusters??
Only if they bring slimer
Old 05-03-08, 09:40 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran over a skunk in an Altima 10 years ago and it was the middle of August. The wheel well absorbed the oils the skunk had to offer. The car smelled like a Pacaderm house in the middle of August for a week. Needless to say, no dates for that week as well. To better answer your question, I hosed the wheels wells down daily with soap and water and cleaned the undercarriage. In your case, I would put some Arm and Hammer boxes in your vehicle along with performing a full detail.
Old 05-03-08, 09:45 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Meguiars Odor Elmination.

here is a similar thread heh
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=20912
Old 05-03-08, 09:51 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

ozium works pretty well. its a neutralizer and is sold in the car section of walmart next to all the car freshners. its in a spray can.
Old 05-03-08, 10:02 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gizbx4
so i went to throw the garbage out the other night before i had to drive my girlfriend home ...

walked up to the garbage can ... went to open the lid then realized there was a skunk basically right at my feet ... i jumped back and tried to run away but it was already to late... the skunk had already sprayed my sneakers and jeans... my bright girlfriend, instead of running away decided to open up the door of my IS and jump in. (the car was about 8 feet away)

at first i wasnt sure if i got sprayed, or if it just sprayed in the area around us so i got in the car also and drove her home. When we got to her house i got out of the car and realized that i did infact get sprayed. The smell was so horrible and over powering inside the car. Im pretty sure the spray didnt go directly into the car, but being that its so strong i dont think it mattered. it was raining so i couldent leave my windows open... and now my car reeks like a skunks ***...

someone pleaaaaseeeeee help me with some idea to get this gross smell out.

ive used like a bottle of fabreeze and a bottle of oust just spraying everywhere... and last night someone told me to leave a few cups of white vinegar in my cupholders... i rather my car smell like vinegar than skunk, and its not as bad now... im going to try leaving a bowl of coffie beans/grounds in overnight tonight and see what happens...

has anyone herd of anything else i could try???
this sucks

has anyone herd of anything else?

My wife and I had this for the first time from her dog. He was sprayed and ran into the house and I had to replace carpet and many other things. Time is the best thing! It should go away in your car but will take some time to air out. Get rid of all the stuff that was in direct contact. If you got in your car with it on you then you have it in your car and its almost impossible to get it out. Trust me I worked with the pest/animal control. Tried all the "remedies" they say on line.

The coffee was one that we used that helped to dilute the oder. Its a temp fix while you give it time. If its bad enough I would call your Insurance Agent and let them know just in case you need to have them replace stuff down the road.

White vinegar from the local store helped out a little but it wasn't much.

Pretty much all you are doing is covering up the odor and it will just come back. I am just telling you from real life experience. Probably not what you want to hear but just being honest.

I feel your pain. Just the odor in our house lasted for 6 mos even with me taking up the carpet. I had lots of expensive clothes that where ruined and other things in my home. It was a nightmare. The dog still has it on him when he gets wet its like it happened all over again.

Best of luck with everything
Old 05-03-08, 10:57 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

SKUNKED!!

thats a new one.

I would def. scrub your car down from top to bottom like Brian said with baking soda and stuff....sorry to hear about that dude. Good luck getting that funk out.
Old 05-03-08, 11:24 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fluxx
ozium works pretty well. its a neutralizer and is sold in the car section of walmart next to all the car freshners. its in a spray can.
+1. Pretty strong stuff
Old 05-03-08, 12:03 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Skunks are one sort of animal I wouldn't mind being extinct.
Old 05-03-08, 01:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tomato juice.

Isn't the trick is to use tomato juice?

Just rub it in the upholstery, then steam clean...
Old 05-03-08, 01:11 PM
Jenomic
Driver

only time will heal ur pain... even after all that hard work trying to get it out..
Old 05-03-08, 02:00 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Tomato juice.

Isn't the trick is to use tomato juice?

Just rub it in the upholstery, then steam clean...
my friends keep jokeing around and telling me to just poor tomato juice all over my car and then just get it detailed.I feel that pooring it all over the inside of my car would be stupid.
Old 05-03-08, 02:49 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

LOL!! Funny story! Which part of NY are you located? I've never seen a skunk around my neighborhood for the past 15 years. I'd say go buy some "tomato" flavor air freshners for your IS. Or bring it to the dealer and ask them why your AC is making such nasty odor haha.

Quick Reply: My IS Got Skunked - What Do I Dooooo ???