Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Major leather re-conditioning -- Leatherique (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 11:29 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Major leather re-conditioning -- Leatherique (Pics)

Well I got my Leatherique Kit in today, cost about 60$ when all is said and done. Overpriced, but its the best supposedly.

It comes with a small scrub brush, wooden, semi tout brissles. A bottle of Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil (Stuff that does the work),.. and then some Leatherique Cleaner (Stuff that you use to get the nasty icky crap off after several hours/days). It also had 2 microfiber applicators and a Microfiber towel with it.

I don't have the results yet, but am posting this as I go along..

First off, the stuff smells bad. It smells slightly like spoiled milk. But, it says it leaves your leather smelling fresh and new when your done. So we'll see. After application I couldn't smell anything bad, so no big deal.

It recommends applying with your bare hand, if your not so bold you can use a terry cloth or whatever you choose. Also it comes in a bottle that just pours out, I emptied a 4oz sprayer and filled it.

I used my hand to work it in. Once you spray and area and then start rubbing with your hand you'll see why it says use your hand. It works very well and I can definitely tell the hand is the absolute best method for working it in. -- I worked it in for a few minutes on each section. I did bottom of seat, then top of seat, then sides. Then door leather. And so on.

Last I worked it in the steering wheel and shift ****. (Center console got some love too)

I've taken care of my leather, and kept it conditioned since I've had it, but I can tell this is miles beyond your typical leather protectant/conditioner. This stuff is semi thick, and definitely OIL.

It goes into the pores,.. you spread it on, and think its going to sit on the surface but you can see it moving through the leather,.. I applied a second coat because of this absorption.

Anyhow -- This is my leather before application:

The leather about 15 minutes after application:

You can definitely tell its on there

Now, I have the car sitting in the garage with the garage heater on 90. I have the car idling, with its heat on maximum. (Yes, I have the garage door open hehe).

I just went and checked on it and it is very hot in there.. so I expect good results. The more heat you get the faster it is going to work, and the better it is going to work.

I intend on leaving it for 2-4hours in that kind of heat, and then removing.

Also of note, it said to use about 4oz per seat. That would use the entire bottle basically.. That is unnecessary for the LS, and I would imagine most 'cars'.

I used probably 6oz.. I had to refill the 4oz sprayer one time, and had some left over. I also used AMPLE amounts, copious amounts.

The leather wasn't in bad condition to start with, so I'm interested in the results upon completion. I think the biggest thing it will do is restore the elasticity and texture/feel, movement of the leather. It has dozens of chemicals in it, collogens, and so forth that restore the leathers nutrients and so forth.

You know how your leather sort of starts to get 'stiff' as it ages.. That is how my leather is getting,.. This will soften it up I hope.

So until then..
Old 04-03-08, 01:25 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should use this for the RX. The ES has been destroyed by the California sun

Thanks for the testimony/review Neo
Old 04-03-08, 02:09 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yup -- Its in process atm. Been 4 hours now,.. going to let it sit for 8 in 90 degree heat in the garage. Then use the pristine cleaner and a bucket of warm water with cotton cloths to clean it off.

I'm expecting great results. Wish I could leave it for days or a week.. but I can't. Though 8 hours is better than 1 hour.. and I went back and put a second 6oz coat on top of it 2 hours into it. Even that immediately started soaking in,.. so its really getting into the leather.

Even your ES could probably benefit from this product,.. When you order you will have enough to do 2-3 cars at least. Why not?

When I'm done, I am going to top the cleaned surface off with UV protectant. That with the tint I have should keep it as good as it gets for the age. Basically I'm restoring this leathers suppleness, so the 'after' pictures might not really do it justice - but I will report on how much of a change there is in the texture and overall 'feel' of the leather.
Old 04-03-08, 02:27 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok here is the process a bit after 4 hours in 90degree heat:

and a close up of where the contaminants are surfacing -- (this isn't the leather discolored or messed up, (wiping this will make it perfect).

Another 4hrs and we'll see what becomes of it.

*You'll notice what looks like streaking, it is actually contaminants surfacing in that pattern. Perhaps previous products used in concentration that did streak once upon a time. I wiped a section of one of those to test, to make sure it wasn't some bad streak pattern and it wiped clean.
Old 04-03-08, 02:42 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and eyezack.. Who is that in your avatar? Girlfriend, wife, sister, daughter, or you?
Old 04-03-08, 03:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

nice nice, i might pick some of this up just for my center console+headrests
Old 04-03-08, 04:36 PM
k.r.e.a.m.
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i have an 05 so my leather is still in pristine condition. but this looks like a great product for the time when my leather starts to show some serious wear & tear. hopefully that won't be for several years now.
Old 04-03-08, 04:58 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just the thread on Leatherique I was waiting for!

I was about to order the Leatherique, as I wanted something better than what I've been using on my GS400. Nonetheless, great pics for comparison. I'm definitely interested in finding out the final results.

Where did you get the kit? And which one did you get? I was looking order the Leatherique from www.leatherique.org and getting the $55 32 oz. special kit (32 oz. Rejuvenator Oil, and 32 oz. Pristine Clean--no brushes or anything else). Yes, the cost is higher than most, but if it works as advertised--hey, it's only the pice of a full tank of premium gas. Why put on less expensive watered-down products that don't fully work? I'd probably apply it with my hands and/or microfiber towels to ensure optimal application.

I will either do the heater trick, but may also wait until it gets above 80 degrees outside when I do this to ensure maximum absorption (I'll give it a full day or so, and repeat the application). Did you try covering the seats with a 40 gallon garbage bag to help seal in the oil?

Keep us updated!

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-03-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 05:09 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

we'll see the result and tell if this product is over-rated and priced....$60!!
Old 04-03-08, 07:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered the kit off of Autogeek -- It comes with MF applicators, and a brush. Then 16oz Oil, and 16oz PC. Yes its expensive, but its the best stuff on the market,.. Thats it, leatherique, the name calls the price. It isn't new either, been around since 1968.

Also, radicalrev -- The pictures, I doubt, are going to give you some night and day difference. This isn't supposed to change the look of my leather drastically. It will clean dirt that was down in the pores, (stuff you didn't see).. and the seats will get a good cleaning with the PC because to get the oil and all the stuff it sucked out will require some good scrubbing/buffing.

With all of that said, I don't expect the seats to be any different to the eye. Why would they? They aren't dirty on the outside, I've cleaned them . It is the condition of the leather, which isn't so bad anyhow, just a bit stiff. But, the leather original in this car wasn't rediculously soft or anything.. so it will be hard to judge how close to 'original' it is.

Anyhow, I think to truly understand if this product is worth it for yourselves or not you would need to feel before and feel after.

I has been almost 9 hours now,.,. and I've decided I am just going to leave it over night. It is expensive, and it was a bit of work to work it in twice.. so no need in getting it off right now, I can leave it.

As for the trashbag I put one on the edge of the driver seat so I could move the car a few feet-- but besides that, no. Judging by the way its working it doesn't need to be sealed with bags. I feel with the windows down, and the airflow going from the heater in the garage... (Not a space heater, this garage was an office 2 years ago) -- That the best results will be with them uncovered. Almost 9 hours later and it isn't 'dry'. Not by a long shot.. It is oily, tacky a bit, and dirty.. gets dirtier by the hour. Take a cloth and blot it , its filthy. Which is amazing, but good.

I will, of course, take my after shots -- But I bought this stuff because all the testimonies I heard on autopia and other car forums. Supposedly this is it.

Though, there are some in the 'leather' field that will say leatherique is a waste,.. not only that ALL leather conditioners are a waste of time. I have one woman saying that leather does not ever need to be conditioned. That is looses moisture and that is all that happens to it. That using conditioners loosen the adhesive from the pigment and make cracks worse.

Then I have another expert in the field (both self-proclaimed) who goes the opposite direction, talking about all the chemicals that products like Leatherique feed leather.

I fall in the middle here. I don't think I'm gonna have brand new leather, can't kid yourself,.. but I think it will make the most improvement I 'can' possibly get with any product on the leather. Simple as that.

As someone else put it, its a tank of gas. Thats true, its actually less than a tank of gas. This isn't something you do often either, I'd say at most once a year.. probably once every 2 would be optimal. This stuff is soaking down into it and from what I hear it doesn't wipe off, it gets into those pores and rejuvenates the leather from the inside out. This is the only way it could become softer imo. I could have used less,.. but I chose to use about half the bottle -- So two cars for 25-30$. The cleaner will be even less, and I'll have some very good leather cleaner for a long time to come.

I think the longer you leave it on, and the more heat the better results as I have expressed. People have left this on for months, like all winter in a car they didn't drive.. stuff like that.

Main thing I agree with, is you don't want a product on these lines that has Silicone in it, as that will dry out and damage the leather over time.

*Also, this product isn't going to remove cracks, or splits, etc. Those are physical defects. I have no holes, slits in the leather anywhere -- Merely some cracks of wear in a few spots , mainly driver seat on an edge, but it looks fine -- Not even really worn out. I bet this will make it look less 'dry' and brittle in those areas though. Sort of like wrinkled skin that is dried out and needs a moisturizer would become with some collagen injections and moisturizer applied. Less wrinkled, softer, better tone, stronger.

After this, I will use aerospace 303 on the seats to some degree to sort of 'seal' them, and protect them with the SPF 40. I will check the bottle, but I'm fairly sure it is safe so use on leather. If not, I'll leave them be of course

Sorry no pics tonight,.. letting it continue to work its magic
Old 04-03-08, 07:05 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Here is an interesting review from a professional.

It seems the heat is very , very key to this process,.. and the temperature I've kept it at is just about right. I did not cover them though, but I think its still working a great deal being enclosed in a room. The garage is another room of the house, sort of weird parking a car in there quite frankly.

Experiences with Leatherique

This is an article describing my experiences with Leatherique and is meant to be read after you understand what the stuff is, how it works and how you use it, which you can find out from their website.
Leatherique is made in Florida and you might note in their instructions that there is a step that says "leave the car in a warm place, but not in direct sunlight, with the windows up". That's great and all but, I'm in Canada - our warm day is the second tuesday in August. So, for the rest of the year we have to make other arrangements.

Now, just putting Leatherique on some leather will not do a whole lot. The two important details from the instructions are to a) cover it with plastic b) let it get warm. It needs to sweat to work, and by work I mean penetrate the leather completely.

If you live in a warm climate the latter should be no problem for you. As for the former - covering the leather being treated is not an option but poses no problem in northern climates. Which leaves us with just the heat issue.

You don't want it to get too hot - around 90 is about right. 110 and up won't hurt but it's really not going to work much below 90. It only needs a few hours at this temperature although this depends on the initial dryness of the leather.

If your seats aren't too bad, then simply using a hand held air dryer on the plastic covered leather will do the trick, but obviously you will have taken the seats out and brought them indoors to do this; it's not like you can use a hair dryer outdoors in a Canadian winter. You'd look silly if nothing else.

If what you're trying to revive is in need of more than a periodic treatment to preserve suppleness and falls more into the "this seat is fried" category then you'll want to use more Leatherique and keep it warm and in plastic for a couple of days.

In my case I'd put my seats in a very small room and slowly over a couple of day kept raising the heat. When it got to 100 the effect was quite dramatic. Literally overnight the seats had turned into the butter soft supple leather I was expecting. You see, to work properly Leatherique needs to work it's way all through the matrix of fibers that is your leather. For this to happen they need to open up - and this is what the heat does for you. I tried various things before this, but this is what I recommend. Any semi-sealed small room that you can raise to 100 degrees Fahrenheit without getting the source of heat too close to the leather will work just fine.

Another handy but totally related tip is an answer to the question "how do I soften or clean my leather watchband". After wrecking quite a few sitting them next to a fire or a heating duct utterly fossilizing them, I hit upon the idea of sticking them in a small, sealed plastic bag, dousing them very liberally in Leatherique (but not to the point where they're actually sitting IN liquid) then putting it in your pocket. 1 or maybe 2 days of this and it can bring any leather watchband back to life. If you use the Leatherique cleaner after word (and this is not really an option) you can get rid of that funky dirty watchband smell, too.

Richard Sexton,
richard@mbz.org
Old 04-03-08, 07:33 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Found you guys some before and after pictures of normal people using leatherique -- Not sponsored by the company or anything.

To top if off, There are 3-4 Ferarri's and a Porsche or two that the pictures are showing. So if they trust it on half a million dollars, I guess I can on 4-5grand

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...er-system.html

If you guys are too lazy to look at the link -- Here is one before and after of leatherique for about 8 hours I think.

Before

After

Now thats quite amazing to me.. go look at that thread, it really gets you excited about the product, the beginning explains how it works as well.
Old 04-03-08, 11:08 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Haha, Neo, if you took a look at my seats currently sitting in my ES you would probably ask me how I can still sit in them . They're thrashed beyond looking like a Lexus seat. They're torn/slashed on ALL of them . My next mod to date is to either buy the seat covers from iggee custom seat covers (ebay) and custom fit them myself, or to just buy another CL members seats...which might be awhile before I can save enough (college ftl)

And the girl in my avatar is my girlfriend. Its a super old pic but I still like it

Can't wait to see the final result after you sealed them ^.^
Old 04-03-08, 11:57 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Haha, Neo, if you took a look at my seats currently sitting in my ES you would probably ask me how I can still sit in them . They're thrashed beyond looking like a Lexus seat. They're torn/slashed on ALL of them . My next mod to date is to either buy the seat covers from iggee custom seat covers (ebay) and custom fit them myself, or to just buy another CL members seats...which might be awhile before I can save enough (college ftl)

And the girl in my avatar is my girlfriend. Its a super old pic but I still like it

Can't wait to see the final result after you sealed them ^.^

Looks like you need new leather seat covers from leatherseats.com then.
BTW the leather iggee custom seat covers use is CHEAP, stamped leather (like the plasticky ones on cheap office furniture).
College student expenses FTW
Old 04-04-08, 01:08 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Meh, I think its cheaper to find someone else's chair haha. Maybe when I get more money I'll consider leatherseats.com

Until then...Costco seatcovers for me

Quick Reply: Major leather re-conditioning -- Leatherique (Pics)