Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Painting your car with a brush or roller... what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 12:30 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting your car with a brush or roller... what are your thoughts?

So I came across a site that touts a $50 paint job.

http://www.stylusscustoms.com/poorMansPaintJob.html

What do you think? I personally was pretty surprised and I know of a few cars that could use this.

Testing on a trunk lid first...

http://www.stylusscustoms.com/trunklidtest.html

What do you guys think?

Clifford
Old 02-04-08, 07:11 AM
Guitarman

I think many people would dismiss this out of hand, but I've known about this method for a while via other car forums, and have seen some of the results by people who have done it correctly, and it IS surprising how good the finish looks, especially for the $$$ invested. I even saw one such car in person at a local car show. You can see some 'striping' in the above photo, this is perhaps the big issue with it, and perhaps not the way you'd want to paint even a used Lexus, but for an old Cavalier, grocery getter or truck....why not?

I will say though, that to get the finish to look acceptable to me, there WILL need to be sanding involved. Some otherwise look "OK", but those that were blocked out look very much like that of a sprayed paint shop job, a good one at that. As for the longevity, who knows, but likely it rivals low to mid end spay paint, if prepped properly.

Who would have thunk it? lol

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-04-08 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 07:16 AM
Guitarman

P.S. The real added bonus for anyone doing it this way, is the fact you don't inhale the toxic diisocyanates and isocyanates that exist in catalyzed spray paints. They are known carcinogens and extremely deliterious to health, and it's common that DIY- ers try to spray their cars without forced oxygen breathing systems (there are no OSHA approved respirators that filter these chemical vapors out). So this is a bigger plus than most realize.

It's the "safe" way to do it essentially.
Old 02-04-08, 07:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Back in the late 80s I knew a guy who replaced the peeling fake wood trim on the side of his station wagon with contact paper made to line shelves.

Who knew he was so far ahead of his time!
Old 02-04-08, 07:40 AM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Back in the late 80s I knew a guy who replaced the peeling fake wood trim on the side of his station wagon with contact paper made to line shelves.

Who knew he was so far ahead of his time!
Seen that a lot too Dave. But then, the "wood" siding on those old Country Squiers etc. wasn't much more convincing than your typical K-Mart dinette set!

Contact paper rulez. :P
Old 02-04-08, 09:39 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! it actually looked pretty good.
Old 02-04-08, 04:31 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That doesn't look half bad actually =)
Old 02-04-08, 06:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ive read into this and it seems that more than anything its the PREP that dictates how good the final product looks.

longevity is still a question though
Old 02-06-08, 02:20 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago, I painted an old SAAB by brush with red Rustoleum. From a distance, it looked great and the color and shine held up really well. The car wax would stick in the ripples in the finish, which was a downside.
Old 02-07-08, 05:15 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

I did this with a S13 I had last year. Once the process is nailed you can get great results. The paint is strong and can produce great results when done right. It is a lot of work though. I wish I had took pics. Sold the car before I got finished with it.
Old 02-07-08, 10:32 AM
rootaku
Rookie

I'm so going to try this. I have horrible bondo/paint jobs on my car at the moment, this seems cheap, effective and would probably get the results I desire, a not too noticeable fugly spot. Got something to do next week now
Old 02-08-08, 08:44 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll post pics of my roller paint job when I do my build thread. Coming later this month.

FYI. it's a LOT of work with prepping and sanding, and paint takes a good while to dry. the outcome is amazing for the 60 or so i payed for materials. I got the car for 400, i couldnt justify a 2000 dollar paintjob.
Old 02-08-08, 11:22 PM
rootaku
Rookie

So I bought some materials, couldn't get all the ones I needed but well see what happens. I went to a body shop place and then forward me to a custom paint place and the guy was telling me that there isn't a "pearl white" that its a 3 way combinations of a base paint "white" a clear coat and the "pearl" paint. So instead of selling it to me he recommends me to a shop he knows and refused to sell me the paint cause he was closing. Anyways, I have an option to work with my white rustoleum gloss paint that I purchased for about 7 bucks or buy the 2 part mix of whitebase/pearl OR, just buy the "pearl" and use my rustoluem paint. What to do? I mean I just want the 2 Fugly spots to just blend in a little better without breaking the bank.

Well, well see what happens. I got materials here... might as well start sanding and taking some pictures
Old 02-08-08, 11:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, speechless.

Take a look at the waves in the reflection, just not my cup of tee. It may have cost $72.00 but the time spent sanding between every single coat must have been tiresome to say the least.

Honestly, just take the car to one of those fast food paint shops where they would just paint the entire car including emblems and weatherstripping for $199.00. $149.00 with a coupon.

Old 02-09-08, 01:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this guy painted his charger with a roller
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
(~half way down)

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...paint/?start=0

Quick Reply: Painting your car with a brush or roller... what are your thoughts?