Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how am i going to get myself outta this one...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 01:15 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how am i going to get myself outta this one...

so about 2 weeks ago i was with a friend and we decided to go to a junk yard in long beach to see if we could find any useful parts off other sc's for my car. on the way there we realized that the only way to reach the junkyard was going through continuous at least one foot deep puddles of pure water and mud. i knew it was a bad idea but i decided to go through anyway, and luckily my car did not stall but it was just covered in mud completely afterwards. (my buddy and i came back a week later and tried going through those puddles in his ranger and it ended up stalling in the water .____. ) as the week goes on i decided to wash all the mud off my car, i finish up washing the outside and for no big reason i decided to pop my hood to find myself looking at his... :

now i've been reading and everybody has been saying NOT to spray water into the engine bay because i could really mess up my engine, but i really want to clean this out and i have no idea how if i cant use water. any ideas???? and yes i now that im an idiot for doing that

Last edited by roy1928; 12-28-07 at 01:16 PM. Reason: photo
Old 12-28-07, 01:18 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Toothbrush, rag and a bucket of water. Good luck!
Old 12-28-07, 01:23 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i pressure washed mine. as long as you know what not to spray you are oakey dokey...
Old 12-28-07, 01:26 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

OMG, it's more than a little dusty under the hood. I don't know how I'd clean it but I would try some wet rags, or a leaf blower or anything else that comes to mind or is recommended by others here. It should be sparkling-clean after you're done, though.
Old 12-28-07, 01:26 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To my knowledge you can hose down your engine without messing it up, so long as you have the engine running while you do it. That will keep water from getting into you spark-plugs. I think thats how some detailers do it?
I may be wrong though, can anyone second this?
Old 12-28-07, 01:57 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

well, i cant say for sure that leaving your engine running while wet will help because i dont know, but i can tell you to NOT spray it down with water while its not running, i did it twice and it cause problems twice
Old 12-28-07, 02:01 PM
prodigy95
Driver

i have washed my engine with a regular water hose, just use the product "purple power" it is sold at any parts store, its biodegradable, safe to the environment. spary that is first and let it sit for about 3 mins, then turn on your car and spray the water in to the engine bay. you will be fine.
Old 12-28-07, 02:06 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

leave the hood open and hope it rains .... =) haha j/k dont do that
Old 12-28-07, 02:24 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Cover key electrical components with rags before you think about pressure-hosing the thing down. Cover the alternator, valve covers, fuse box, and distributor. I'm not sure how water will affect the ABS thingy. Good luck.
Old 12-28-07, 02:41 PM
Bob'sSC400
Rookie

use the high pressure hose at the car wash...just don't squeeze the trigger...

and get a four wheel drive if you want to go through mud and water...lol
Old 12-28-07, 02:42 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just bust out the hose and spray away. it will be okay. id highly doubt it would have enough pressure as a pressure washer to destroy any gaskets. if anything your car will have trouble starting up when wet because of the alternator being soaked or distributor(if your car uses it). so cover those up with a plastic grocery bag and your battery, and you WILL be fine. no problems
Charley
Old 12-28-07, 02:43 PM
surferlife
Driver

I used to work at lexus and the guys there just keep the engine running, spray the hell out of it with degreaser and rinse it off with a hose. very simple. i would just cover any exposed electrical components. no big deal dude. should only take you like 30mins. have fun!
Old 12-28-07, 02:57 PM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roy1928
everybody has been saying NOT to spray water into the engine bay because i could really mess up my engine
If your car made it through the puddle looking like that then I think you could pressure wash it.
Old 12-28-07, 03:06 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by surferlife
I used to work at lexus and the guys there just keep the engine running, spray the hell out of it with degreaser and rinse it off with a hose. very simple. i would just cover any exposed electrical components. no big deal dude. should only take you like 30mins. have fun!
keep the engine running, spray the hell out of it with degreaser and rinse it off with a hose.
Old 12-28-07, 03:50 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pay a professional to do it.

Quick Reply: how am i going to get myself outta this one...