Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how am i going to get myself outta this one...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 03:53 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharingan
pay a professional to do it.
or just keep the car running
Old 12-28-07, 04:03 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it 100% sure that keeping the car running wouldn't damage the goods? Probably not...so why take the risk of messing up something, just have a pro do it.
Old 12-28-07, 05:17 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least ya didn't Hydrolock!

Cover key components with plastic bags and rags (electrical shizzle and battery shtuff) Turn the vehicle on, spray some water and take your time.

After thats done

Get a damp rag and a old brush and clean up the sensitive stuff (i've had my car turned off for this before.
Old 12-28-07, 05:21 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I actually ran into an issue like yours, but with a comedic twist. I used to park the car outside under a covered area, in Oregon come winter we get some cold nights. It didn't help that I lived by a wetland area, so a few weeks later I had this amazingly bad smell, sort of like when a heater core starts to leak (smells like a bad date!)....so I took it to a radiator place just to get a checkup done, and sure enough, the cooling system was fine, but what they found was a dead rat under the oil pan...

After removing the rodents remains and maggots, I proceeded off to the car wash to spray things out, and not thinking much, I sprayed water all over the engine bay. Needless to say the car just didn't run very well, and started running worse and worse.

So 2 hours later we figure out that water got into the sparkplug holes. Using a Turkey Baster, I was able to remove the water, but it was still a pain in the *** process.

My point: COVER that area and the distributer and you should be okay. Make sure the fuse box cover is on tight as well.
Old 12-28-07, 05:34 PM
booja
Lead Lap

ive hosed mine down many times
Old 12-28-07, 08:48 PM
Boostedhat
Rookie

I like to cover the valley where the spark plug tubes are, the distributor with a rag and a rubber glove, and watch the fuse box. The only dispute is have with keeping the engine running, is that the engine will be hot. I have noticed that if you spray heavy degreasers (i.e. Purple power, simple green...etc) on a hot or even warm engine you will get really bad oxidation (white powdery looking residue) on all of your aluminum. But covering the electrical components is KEY.
Old 12-28-07, 10:22 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

I did it to my old car before. Just the cover the cap rotor, and alternater, with a plastic grocery bags.

The first time I didn't cover it too and well and didn't rinse off the cleaner too well either and engine ran ****ty and smoked for like 30min or so. LOL
Old 12-29-07, 12:37 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

your not going to get yourself out of this one. Give up now. Sell your car to me cheap.

For god sakes people.

pay a pro?!?!

Get a hose, wash it out, let it dry. With the engine cold. I have no idea why people are telling you to do it with the engine warm. Rapidly cooling down your car with water doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

what do you think happens when you drive in the rain? Or do most people posting in this thread not?
Old 12-29-07, 03:00 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used a pressure hose to spray my engine before, I didn't encounter any problems. Hit that ish up with a brush and degreaser and rinse off, careful of any electrical components (as people have already said).
Old 12-29-07, 08:46 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

were you in mud up the the bottom of your windows?
Old 12-29-07, 09:14 AM
SiennaII's
Driver School Candidate

I have had to pull my plugs to clear water before even after being careful where i was spraying, horrible misfire due to plug boots not keeping water out. Cover you dist and anything with external electronics. BE CAREFUL. I have never had a problem with any of my other cars or even this one until the last time I cleaned my engine. Good luck
Old 12-29-07, 10:54 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically what all these guys said!

Originally Posted by gabegtz84
At least ya didn't Hydrolock!

Cover key components with plastic bags and rags (electrical shizzle and battery shtuff) Turn the vehicle on, spray some water and take your time.

After thats done

Get a damp rag and a old brush and clean up the sensitive stuff (i've had my car turned off for this before.
Originally Posted by markesc
I actually ran into an issue like yours, but with a comedic twist. I used to park the car outside under a covered area, in Oregon come winter we get some cold nights. It didn't help that I lived by a wetland area, so a few weeks later I had this amazingly bad smell, sort of like when a heater core starts to leak (smells like a bad date!)....so I took it to a radiator place just to get a checkup done, and sure enough, the cooling system was fine, but what they found was a dead rat under the oil pan...

After removing the rodents remains and maggots, I proceeded off to the car wash to spray things out, and not thinking much, I sprayed water all over the engine bay. Needless to say the car just didn't run very well, and started running worse and worse.

So 2 hours later we figure out that water got into the sparkplug holes. Using a Turkey Baster, I was able to remove the water, but it was still a pain in the *** process.

My point: COVER that area and the distributer and you should be okay. Make sure the fuse box cover is on tight as well.
Originally Posted by Boostedhat
I like to cover the valley where the spark plug tubes are, the distributor with a rag and a rubber glove, and watch the fuse box. The only dispute is have with keeping the engine running, is that the engine will be hot. I have noticed that if you spray heavy degreasers (i.e. Purple power, simple green...etc) on a hot or even warm engine you will get really bad oxidation (white powdery looking residue) on all of your aluminum. But covering the electrical components is KEY.
Originally Posted by Luke_in_SD
I did it to my old car before. Just the cover the cap rotor, and alternater, with a plastic grocery bags.

The first time I didn't cover it too and well and didn't rinse off the cleaner too well either and engine ran ****ty and smoked for like 30min or so. LOL
Old 12-30-07, 07:19 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Looks to me the motor is trashed ! Looks like its 1jz time ! Haha. Ya what someone else said just get a rag and water and GL
Old 12-30-07, 08:34 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray degreaser, yeah the purple stuff is good all over. Let sit, run car while spraying the water is correct...
Old 12-30-07, 08:49 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Spraying water on the motor while it is running does not rapidly cool down the block, water is not nearly cold enough to do that. Spray it while it is running so that there is a LESS likely chance for anything to stop working I've sprayed down my LS400 before and it's fine (a bit more covered up than your SC) but like they said, rag and bag it and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: how am i going to get myself outta this one...