Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

discoloration on clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 08:41 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discoloration on clear bra

I've had the car for about 3 months. I clean it religiously and one day i notice bird crap on the hood. It was on the clear bra. I cleaned it off, but it would not come off completely. My friend has the bright idea to use some type of stain remover on it. Long story..short... there is a ring of discoloration around the bird crap now. Its a shade lighter than the rest of the clear bra. I used plestex and even tried 3m gloss enhancer (quick wax). Do I have to remove the whole piece of clear bra, or can this be repaired. Thank you for any help.
Old 10-23-07, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i highly doubt if it could be repaired. i think the piece is ruined
Old 10-23-07, 12:35 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skk440
Long story..short... there is a ring of discoloration around the bird crap now. Do I have to remove the whole piece of clear bra, or can this be repaired.
Too late man.......i think you messed up!! Live and learn.
Old 10-23-07, 10:53 AM
Avid1
Rookie

At least the paint isn't ruined.
Old 10-23-07, 04:40 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I agree with the others. It sounds like you won't be able to remove the stain. I'm moving this to the detailing forum since you may get more responses.
Old 10-23-07, 04:47 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Clear bras are like floor mats for your hood. They are designed to take the brunt of the dirt, chips and staining instead of your paint. It is plastic film and does not look perfect forever.

Staining, peeling, discoloration is normal over the life of the plastic film.
Old 10-23-07, 06:01 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear Bra comes with a lifetime warranty on the material, so check with your installer. First of all, you should first go to the installer to see if they can take care of this before you do it yourself. Even if you think you ruined it, let them check it. Also, I been told that baby shampoo with a warm water usually the best way to take care of stains and cleaning. Also, Clear Bra has a great forum where you can post pics and ask questions and get a reply directly from their engineers.

Don't give up yet. Maybe they can still help you. In a worst case, you will just have to pay for a labor to replace that one hood piece since material will be covered under warranty.
Old 10-23-07, 06:16 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Chances are it will come out with the right products. It depends on which film it is though. Sounds like Venture. What film is on the car?
Old 10-23-07, 07:22 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

its the one that the lexus dealership provides. I feel like a idiot for trying to remove the stain. It only made it worse. I will contact my dealer and check to see how far my warranty extends. thanks guys for your help. I'll try the baby shampoo and warm water. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-23-07, 07:34 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

If its 3M than isopropyl alcohol will remove most stains. If Venture than plastic cleaner and polish works well or using heat or a steamer will help most of the time. The thing with the clear bras are when you clean them the solution will hang around in the film for a while. It will usually dry in about a day or less depending on what you use. Not so much a problem with the 3M film.
Old 10-24-07, 08:35 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Clear Bra comes with a lifetime warranty on the material, so check with your installer. First of all, you should first go to the installer to see if they can take care of this before you do it yourself. Even if you think you ruined it, let them check it. Also, I been told that baby shampoo with a warm water usually the best way to take care of stains and cleaning. Also, Clear Bra has a great forum where you can post pics and ask questions and get a reply directly from their engineers.

Don't give up yet. Maybe they can still help you. In a worst case, you will just have to pay for a labor to replace that one hood piece since material will be covered under warranty.
Life time warranty is a joke. The clear bra on one of my cars was heavily water spotted and all of the advice from other people and the installer did nothing to correct the situation. When I inquired about the life time warranty the response that I received was that it was owner neglect. Life time BS. I will never use this junk again.
Old 10-24-07, 02:40 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Life time warranty is a joke. The clear bra on one of my cars was heavily water spotted and all of the advice from other people and the installer did nothing to correct the situation. When I inquired about the life time warranty the response that I received was that it was owner neglect. Life time BS. I will never use this junk again.
What company was this with?
Old 10-25-07, 04:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, what that 3M or VS? And, did you deal with a certified installer? I have VS, got mine installed by an official certified installer, and even spoke to the company's product manager before the purchase. VS has full lifetime warranty and will honor that as long as installation was done by a certified installaer (trained by Venture Shield).

And, since this clear bra install was done through dealership, I think it would be even easier to correct. Not sure where you are in NJ, but if you are dealing with Ray Catena - those guys will bend backward to make you happy, and even will eat the cost to re-install damaged piece. For example, I had my remote start and Sirius installed through them (by sub-contracted shop), and it was the easiest thing to deal with any BS that shop gave me - dealership handled it well and I got all the problems straighten out.
Old 10-25-07, 09:02 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dentpusher
What company was this with?
It was Venture Shield and was stated by the installer that it was superior to 3M. They are a certified installer and claim to be one of the best on the West Coast. They did 3 cars for me; no I take that back 4, the 3 cars and 4 the last time I would ever deal with them. Even though they treated me terribly, I would rather not broadcast the name of the company on a public forum. PM me and I will give you the name of the company
Old 10-25-07, 11:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have to say, venture's ability to go against water spot, bugs, etc... is far worse than that of 3m. i am going to talk to my installer about this issue. it's bad

Quick Reply: discoloration on clear bra